Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KROME 61 Keys NO SCREEN DISPLAY problem.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverOnKeys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: KROME 61 Keys NO SCREEN DISPLAY problem. Reply with quote

I just got this brand new (supposed to be) Korg Krome less than 3 months ago and have used it 5 to 10 times a month when this problem occured. Am I the only one experiencing it? What should I do? It is working but I cannot choose patch from its data bank... The screen is blank.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!
AshtonCDs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi . I'm having a similar problem with my Krome -61 . It has hardly been 6 months since I've purchased this keyboard and I'm having a blank screen issue . It would really help me if you let me know if your Krome has been repaired and what the problem was .
lutefish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Krome started displaying glitches on the screen and freezing repeatedly, before the screen died entirely. Unlike yours, it wasn't otherwise working - as it was under warranty, they replaced the entire motherboard and the problem was solved.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Krome is anything like the Triton there is a screen contrast button on the back. If it's turned to the extremes you get either a gray (white) or black screen. That very small knob can sometimes get turned during pack-up or transport, so that's the first place to check.

In either case you should see the screen activate - an LCD screen on black is actively showing that "color".

Check to see if on-screen pushes change anything -- make the appropriate gesture to sweep volume in the mix screen, for example. If you hear changes on the blank screen, that would be an indicator of a contrast problem - adjusting the knob should fix it.

If, however, the screen is completely inert [no change in appearance, no apparent function] then that's a service problem.

Since OP + 2nd are under warrantee (hopefully) it should be a relatively simple fix. Krome is still on the assembly lines at Korg so spare parts should be no problem. Under warrantee the fix is at the macro level - all guts replaced, because they don't want to see the claim a second time. For a board not under warrantee this approach is the surest, but also priciest approach to a screen repair.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Brijesh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: I have the same problem of blank screen Reply with quote

My Korg KROME is 10 months old. One of these days the screen distorted and turned blank. Reseting holding the Page and Exit key temporarily restored it, but after a couple of days same problem. All functions seems to be working though. Given it to the dealer under warranty, but no answer from them since 2 weeks. Will keep posted.

Meanwhile SilverOnKeys, AshtonCD, did you get a fix ?
Thanks.
Lenster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee all,
I have been so frustrated with my M50 freezing up , always at the wrong times (?) during gigs, or even while writing a sequence. Arrgh !! I have had it repaired when it was only months old but it still happens.
I was thinking about upgrading to a Krome 61, but after reading these posts, I see the problems have travelled to the new models too.
---> I might start looking at Yamaha.
For all the great stuff that Korg engineers into these fantastic keyboards, they need to correct the hardware issues. Otherwise they're gonna lose me.

PS. My TR is a champ. Never locks up, never any trouble. It's a shame that it is just becoming old tech.
Disheartened in Philly. - Lenster
wta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Fixed! Reply with quote

I didn't notice this thread until I received a comment. There is a design issue on the controller board causing the Krome's screen to fail, and the good new is that it's easy and cheap to fix. I described here how I addressed it and it also worked for other people : http://wtarreau.blogspot.com/2015/12/im-posting-this-here-in-hope-that-it.html

By the way, 3 years after the fix it never failed again :-)
Good luck!
bradkorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the FIX!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: