Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volca beats - dead already?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oisin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: volca beats - dead already? Reply with quote

hi all

i got my volca beats in the mail today. turned it on immediately and it sounded great.

turned it on a couple hours later and tried out the sync port and wanted to record some sounds into my audio interface - but i noticed:

- strange grounding issues; sequences exploded into max tempo whenever touching the top of the volca or any screws on the unit.

- bad sound! all drums sound a bit flat and none of the decays work on any of the voices.

is there a factory reset i can try? (aside from the seq. reset listed in the manual?).

any other ideas?
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious ? Send it back, sounds broken from your description. There's plenty more volcas out there, get a fully working one.
oisin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops - i realized i forgot to turn the stutter depth back down .. had it stuck at 100 %. what a strange effect!

but the grounding issue is still there.. anyone else getting this?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are having a grounding problem, make sure to check if you using the appropriate power supply. Also, although I don't have the Volcas yet, I do have the Korg Monotribe and the sequencer often has problems when the unit is left in hot and humid conditions. That might also be a factor worth looking into.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
oisin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
If you are having a grounding problem, make sure to check if you using the appropriate power supply. Also, although I don't have the Volcas yet, I do have the Korg Monotribe and the sequencer often has problems when the unit is left in hot and humid conditions. That might also be a factor worth looking into.

thanks - i tried with batteries and swapping the polarity of the power supply - no luck. ill hope maybe its still a bit shaken up from the long trip Laughing
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oisin wrote:
oops - i realized i forgot to turn the stutter depth back down .. had it stuck at 100 %. what a strange effect!

but the grounding issue is still there.. anyone else getting this?

Laughs Laughing . Nice one, glad it's ok.
Philipsstep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Korg volca series Reply with quote

Hi i bought the korg volka beats, bass and keys and thought wow they are wicked, battery driven analogue babies, wow i was made up, after about an hour of anologue mayhem, the batterys started to dwindle so i thought, ill go and buy 3 dc adaptors to run them at the cost of £40 , i thought once ive got them, ive got them, took the batterys out of all of them and plugged the 9v dc, they come on nicely i was buzzing , i started to play about again and in the middle of creating a wicked bass the bass went off! I thought wow whats happened? Checked the plug, all fine switched it back on and hey presto it sprung into life again, i touched the wire again and off it went, i tried the other two and hey presto it happened on those aswell, basically its batterys or your naffed, gutted, they dont run properly off the 9v dcs because if you move the wire on the 9v dc it just goes off, sort it out korg!!! Im gutted its took me a month to get them in the country and they are faulty out the box! Shocking!
analoguekid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg volca series Reply with quote

Philipsstep wrote:
Hi i bought the korg volka beats, bass and keys and thought wow they are wicked, battery driven analogue babies, wow i was made up, after about an hour of anologue mayhem, the batterys started to dwindle so i thought, ill go and buy 3 dc adaptors to run them at the cost of £40 , i thought once ive got them, ive got them, took the batterys out of all of them and plugged the 9v dc, they come on nicely i was buzzing , i started to play about again and in the middle of creating a wicked bass the bass went off! I thought wow whats happened? Checked the plug, all fine switched it back on and hey presto it sprung into life again, i touched the wire again and off it went, i tried the other two and hey presto it happened on those aswell, basically its batterys or your naffed, gutted, they dont run properly off the 9v dcs because if you move the wire on the 9v dc it just goes off, sort it out korg!!! Im gutted its took me a month to get them in the country and they are faulty out the box! Shocking!

I wonder if anyone else has suffered this problem, mine will almost certainly be static based in the studio so will only be running off the PSU and if it goes off like this when moved slightly its going to be no good for me............still waiting by the way, no news from PMT today and its now the end of the week, starting to think i'll spend the cash on a GiGa delay pedal off ebay or some other performance kit.
analoguekid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg volca series Reply with quote

a b xc

Last edited by analoguekid on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just doesn't sound right about them not working properly. On all 3 you say ? Nah , it sounds more like a user error, the wrong size tip on the adapter or something. Maybe the wrong psu.
I run my beats from an unregulated multi adapter, @ 9v, 3a with no issues. Nobody else has reported this that iv'e seen. Check your psu specs.
Philipsstep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Faulty volkas Reply with quote

Ive bought 3 different type of multi dc plugs, the voltage set to 9v , the polarity set to dc - to + as it should be, they come on, play fine but you touch the lead once and off they go, on all 3 too so obviously theres something wrong, ive even plugged the 9v dcs in other things, and they have worked no problem, so it must be the volkas, im gutted mate, i didnt expect this, i carnt afford to be getting new batteries every 10 hours of usage, regards steve
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the amp rating of your new psu's ?
Philipsstep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Korg volcas Reply with quote

Hi ive got 300ma unregulated ac/dc adapter primary 220-240v50hz
Secondry 3-12v 300 ma they work with the volcas but if you touch the wire going into the volca it goes off, this happends on them all, its the right one ive just got faulty ones
brambos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Korg volcas Reply with quote

Philipsstep wrote:
Hi ive got 300ma unregulated ac/dc adapter primary 220-240v50hz
Secondry 3-12v 300 ma they work with the volcas but if you touch the wire going into the volca it goes off, this happends on them all, its the right one ive just got faulty ones

I agrer with DrHoo above. The chances of getting three faulty units of different SKUs simultaneously in the same delivery are statistically almost nil. It's much more likely that there is something weird about the type of PSU you're using, or maybe with another link in the power chain (too many devices on the same outlet, grounding issue?).
Philipsstep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish i could post a video of this happening lol ive been told to go and get a ka-35 power adapter as this is the one korg recommend , i will try but cannot see much changing to be honest ill keep you posted regards steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: