Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Style conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calaf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Style conversion Reply with quote

I know that this topic has been debated previously, but I can't locate anything totally relevant so far.

I will keep looking, but Tyros+style+convert is quite a wide search, so there are literally thousands of threads to view,. I apologise if people think that this has had all the answers previously, but a new thread would certainly help me.

I have located some free downloads of Tyros styles, well, two to be precise, that I really think I would like to use/try to use.

The style creator legitimately asks for the styles not to be sold on and that they are only for personal use. To make these available for use, what options are there that could convert these two styles to a PA1X format?

Thanks in advance, as ever.
Chris
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found most of the Yamaha styles are just midi files with files suffix STY or PRS appended. If I rename the style from STYLE.PRS or STYLE.STY to STYLE.MID I can then load the file into a midi editor. Then I can treat the style elements like any other midi file and load them into a custom KORG style. Have fun!

For example ...

I just downloaded a free Tyros style from the internet ... renamed it with a .mid suffix and opened it in Sonar. Here's a screenshot showing the Markers. All you need to do is rename the markers into Korg's requirements, adjust some of the instruments and tada! You have 'converted' a Tyros style to a Korg Style. Before anyone asks, going back the other way, from Korg to Yamaha cant be done with this method. Wink

FYI: From page 64 of the PA600 User Manual ...

Importing an SMF separated by Markers into a Style
As an alternative to importing single Chord Variations, you can import a whole Style as an SMF separated by Markers, i.e., a single SMF containing all the Chord Variations (Variation 1, Variation 2, etc.) each one separated by a Marker (the same events used in Song Play mode).

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
calaf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, for the prompt response

Another learning curve ahead....

You were of course absolutely correct, it plays as a SMF, but it seems that the variations are in a peculiar order when played.

Appreciated
Chris
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calaf wrote:
Thanks Rick, for the prompt response

Another learning curve ahead....

You were of course absolutely correct, it plays as a SMF, but it seems that the variations are in a peculiar order when played.

Appreciated
Chris

Yes, that's where a good midi editor comes into play. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
calaf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is where this bear of little brain struggles.

If the style is based on the song as it is played on the Tyros, why does it play with a later variation first?

As I said, I have a long way to go....and guess which numpty threw out a couple of earlier versions of Cubasis rcently thinking that as I had used them so little over time, then it was liely that I would be unlikely to in the future....

Chris
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calaf wrote:
But that is where this bear of little brain struggles.

If the style is based on the song as it is played on the Tyros, why does it play with a later variation first?

As I said, I have a long way to go....and guess which numpty threw out a couple of earlier versions of Cubasis rcently thinking that as I had used them so little over time, then it was liely that I would be unlikely to in the future....

Chris

The position of the style elements within the midi file are not important. The 'markers' tell the system where each element appears in the style.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Veren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thoraldus, trust you are well

Kindly provide screenshot of same style after changes to suite Korg requirements.

Also, can we not view and edit this on the Pa3x or so?

Thank you and appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: