Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS2000 BR LCD problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtkthx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: MS2000 BR LCD problem Reply with quote

I bought this MS2000BR on eBay, and the seller included a universal AC adapter. The thing powers on, sounds beautiful, all LED's and everything work, except the LCD displays nothing but nonsensical characters. SOMETIMES it will show the boot-up screen when it powers on but shortly after will go back to ugliness.

I have since replaced the AC adapter with a more suitable one, but of course the problem remains.

My first thought is that it's a firmware issue, but I can't even find a download for the BR. Not sure where to begin, and I'll probably end up heading to the nearest authorized Korg tech but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
sohatyi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the LCD ribbon cable is attached to the display properly maybe, sounds like duff data being sent to the screen, which could be a pinout issue if it's not attached properly or has worked its way loose in transit.
Novation: UltraNova, Nova
Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X, DX11, DX Reface, YC Reface
Other: Zoom R24, Quasimidi 309, Beat Thang, Akai MPC1000 and a couple of Omnichords
jtkthx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely appreciate your reply.

After opening it up I noticed some grime on the board on the side opposite the LCD. So I cleaned up the area with some isopropanol and had it working perfectly for about 30 seconds, then it started showing the wrong characters again.

So I reseated the ribbon cable and it got worse again. Then I must have shorted something out because now it won't boot up at all. It only shows a backlight on the LCD, and the two audio-in LED's (I'm assuming this is a diagnostic thing) are on for a few seconds, then off. No sound at all.
sohatyi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad joint... The moisture temporarily bridging it. Time to get out the multimeter! (or take it to a repair-man).
Novation: UltraNova, Nova
Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X, DX11, DX Reface, YC Reface
Other: Zoom R24, Quasimidi 309, Beat Thang, Akai MPC1000 and a couple of Omnichords
Edpoiloo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: I have the same problem with my ms2000r. Reply with quote

jtkthx wrote:
I sincerely appreciate your reply.

After opening it up I noticed some grime on the board on the side opposite the LCD. So I cleaned up the area with some isopropanol and had it working perfectly for about 30 seconds, then it started showing the wrong characters again.

So I reseated the ribbon cable and it got worse again. Then I must have shorted something out because now it won't boot up at all. It only shows a backlight on the LCD, and the two audio-in LED's (I'm assuming this is a diagnostic thing) are on for a few seconds, then off. No sound at all.

Hello, my ms2000r has the same issue. Please tell me, how did you remove the ribbon cable [it’s not one of those easily removable ribbons] I fear I might worsen the problem or damage the ribbon. Please reply. Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: