Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross share patches with Krome?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomvic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Kross share patches with Krome? Reply with quote

It appears they share the same synth engine. Will I be able to load patches or combis created on my Krome to my Kross via SD card?
studio99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: microstation programs and combis also Reply with quote

Same question regarding the Microstation

Will I be able to load programs, combis, sngs etc that were created on or for the MS on the Kross?
david7685

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Is the Grand Piano (and EP's) same sounding:Kross & Krom Reply with quote

I read on line in a forum someone's opinion that Krome's sounds would be way better than the Kross.

Are the Grand Piano, EP's and string sounds the exact same on the Kross as the Krome. Does anyone know (or have a good guess)? Thanks.
tomvic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Krome & Kross compatibility Reply with quote

I have both the Krome and the Kross now. I would call them cousins, not brothers. Kross cannot see or load PCG files from an SD card saved by Krome. Krome can see, but cannot load PCG files from an SD card saved by Kross. They are both formatted in MS-DOS. Evidently Korg builds in a safeguard against transferring the files, probably because the Kross engine is a subset of the Krome engine, not identical to it.

Regarding the piano, organ, synth sounds, etc.; they are different. A few of them have the same names, but they are not exactly the same.

The Kross boots up much more quickly, and has a more stable (less touchy) power on off switch than the Krome. The overall volume output of the Kross is lower, and the overall tone is somewhat darker. This may be user configurable on a global basis, but if so I haven't found it yet. I like the Kross keybed better. It looks the same as the Krome keybed, but the Kross keys don't have that annoying bounce back like the Krome, if you flick a key rather than press or strike it.

I like the layout of the Kross better for performing. The rotary selection dial and favorites buttons are good for live performance. I also have an SV1 which likewise is better for live performance. The Krome is more complex and probably has some advantages as a workstation, but I'm not really into that. I'll have a better feel for the Kross after I rehearse with my band next week, as sometimes what sounds great in the living room doesn't work with the band, and vice versa. Overall I'm impressed with the value and utility.
david7685

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Wow what a wonderful reply - thank you Reply with quote

Much appreciation for your expert side-by-side analysis.
I did go ahead and pre-pay for a Kross today; thank you for your most helpful input.
None have arrived yet in Toronto, Canada, but at least now I will be one of the first in line.
I have been guaranteed one from the very first shipment even if the biggest store in Toronto only gets 2 or 3 instruments.
Have a great long weekend.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Krome & Kross compatibility Reply with quote

tomvic wrote:
I have both the Krome and the Kross now. I would call them cousins, not brothers. Kross cannot see or load PCG files from an SD card saved by Krome. Krome can see, but cannot load PCG files from an SD card saved by Kross. They are both formatted in MS-DOS. Evidently Korg builds in a safeguard against transferring the files, probably because the Kross engine is a subset of the Krome engine, not identical to it.

Regarding the piano, organ, synth sounds, etc.; they are different. A few of them have the same names, but they are not exactly the same.

The Kross boots up much more quickly, and has a more stable (less touchy) power on off switch than the Krome. The overall volume output of the Kross is lower, and the overall tone is somewhat darker. This may be user configurable on a global basis, but if so I haven't found it yet. I like the Kross keybed better. It looks the same as the Krome keybed, but the Kross keys don't have that annoying bounce back like the Krome, if you flick a key rather than press or strike it.

I like the layout of the Kross better for performing. The rotary selection dial and favorites buttons are good for live performance. I also have an SV1 which likewise is better for live performance. The Krome is more complex and probably has some advantages as a workstation, but I'm not really into that. I'll have a better feel for the Kross after I rehearse with my band next week, as sometimes what sounds great in the living room doesn't work with the band, and vice versa. Overall I'm impressed with the value and utility.

I agree with all of this very useful information. The Krome, however, is capable of 8 velocity layers, while the Kross is only capable of 4, so that's one difference in favor of the Krome. The Kross doesn't have the German Piano that shines on the Krome. To my ear, the Krome is a little bit fuller and more defined, but just a little. (I had a Krome 88 and a Kross 61 next to each other and was going back and forth with headphones.) Having mentioned all that, the price difference, the weight difference (yes small IS sexy!) and the Step Sequencer is one feature-set that you may desire. The slightly better sound, the touchscreen/editing ease, and the number buttons is the other feature set (krome's.) If one of these appeals to you more, that would help make your choice. Well, I think you've made yours, (as I did - and I'm very happy!) though I *have* been pricing krome 73's on ebay Embarassed
david7685

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Can't thank you enough Reply with quote

If you could only imagine how thirsty and eager (anxious) waiting for the initial KROSS keyboards to arrive in Canada. They come to Toonto from Montreal .
Meanwhile, reading any postings from the first Kross owners in North
America ...
their first impressions ...
Is exciting and very beneficial to us waitingway up here in Canada.
Thank you so much for sharing more and more about your experience so far with KROSS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: