Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purgatory Creek Clavinet D6 (CA)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Purgatory Creek Clavinet D6 (CA) Reply with quote

From the blog:

New sampleset, this time a Clavinet D6 with the rocker settings set to AC (or CA if you prefer). It was sampled at 16 velocities plus release but I'm only using eight layers at a time in the Kronos as the second OSC is used for release samples. All samples are full length--there is no looping.

The eight programs are basic EQ/filter variations. SW1 is set for Touch-Wah while SW1 is a tonal variation. KNOB #7 adds modulation.

My goal is to, at some point, produce a full set which would include all four rocker switch settings.

Program Listing
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 0: Program U-G000
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 1: Program U-G001
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 2: Program U-G002
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 3: Program U-G003
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 4: Program U-G004
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 5: Program U-G005
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 6: Program U-G006
PurgatoryCreek D6 (AC) 7: Program U-G007

To use, copy the contents of the ZIP file to the SSD on your Kronos. You'll need to have ~415MB of SSD free space.
    - Load "PCreek D6 AC_UserBank.KSC"
    - LOAD METHOD: set to KSC SETTINGs or VIRTUAL MEMORY (Note: it should require 15MB of RAM)
    - KSC ALLOCATION: set to APPEND
    - Load "PCreek D6 AC.PCG" into an HD-1 Bank (default is User-G)

If you want this UserBank to load each time you start up the Kronos goto:

- GLOBAL==>BASIC==>KSC AUTO-LOAD and click on ADD KSC
    - Find PCreek D6 AC_UserBank.KSC on your SSD and select ADD
    - Make sure the Red Box is selected and it will load every time.

Purgatory Creek D6 (CA)

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
roblof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Purgatory Creek Clavinet D6 (CA) Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
It was sampled at 16 velocities plus release but I'm only using eight layers at a time in the Kronos as the second OSC is used for release samples.

I'm not sure how to interpret the following quote from the release notes:

* Up to 16 stereo velocity zones are now supported within a single HD‐1 Program

How does this releate to your use of layers? How is this now compared to pre-v2?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Purgatory Creek Clavinet D6 (CA) Reply with quote

roblof wrote:
burningbusch wrote:
It was sampled at 16 velocities plus release but I'm only using eight layers at a time in the Kronos as the second OSC is used for release samples.

I'm not sure how to interpret the following quote from the release notes:

* Up to 16 stereo velocity zones are now supported within a single HD‐1 Program

How does this releate to your use of layers? How is this now compared to pre-v2?

The HD-1 engine in the Kronos has always supported up to 16 layers (mono or stereo) in a Program. Each OSC supports up to eight layers. Because I feel release samples are important to the clavinet sound I included them in this sampleset. The OSC can either be normal or key-off. I have OSC#1 set to normal and OSC #2 set to key-off (release samples).

FYI, the clavinet samples Korg provided in EXs4 Vintage Keys have two velocity layers, have few sample points across the keyboard, are looped and have no release samples.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back after a weekend I found this - and this really made me happy. Very Happy

The onboard Clavs in the Kronos are not more than a well meant allusion to the real thing. And fast resampling of one of the better D6 sample libraries is no option in this case: you can get the single key sampling this way, but no release samples - unless you have the original wav files AND assign the release samples one by one to Osc2 of your patch.

For any kind of funky stuff the D6 - and especially the versatile CA-sound - is a very valuable tool. To have it in this great quality on board of the Kronos (with only 15 Mb of memeory loss!) means pure groove joy for me: I just couldn't stop playing it along with a dry Ricky Lawson set and some of my imported user funk drum patterns - with headphones on and getting every detail of drums and clav.

So many thanks for this one, Busch: it is even more valuable to me than all the other great stuff you have already shared with us!
roblof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx for clarifying!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite sounds are 1 and 4.
It is also fun to play this with expression pedal set to (real) wah wah.

This Clav is a real pleasure to play: it has the kick of the release samples for staccato play just as good as the great sustain of the original.
All synth/workstation D6 clavs I know (on board of Yamaha Motifs, Roland Fantoms, Kurzweils, Clavias etc., just like the Kronos HD1-Clavis) can't compete with this quality IMHO.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. This really was a proof of concept for me. I've never seriously sampled my clav before. I didn't know what kinds of issues I would run into nor any idea as to how the final product would sound.

I have a bit of a dilema. After listening to my final product and comparing it to Scarbee I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to get closer to the Scarbee sound I would need to restring my D6. The clav in general is in excellent shape with new hammer tips, but I'm betting the strings are original. Knowing how meticulous Scarbee is about getting his instrument set up prior to sampling, I'm betting his was restrung. So I ordered in a new set of strings, but the idea of changing out 60 strings plus yarning might be a bit much for me to tackle at this time. I could finish up with the other three rocker settings with the instrument as is and I'm sure I'd be happy with the end result, then leave the restringing for another time.

Busch.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea to leave it as it is.

The Scarbee is great, of course, and Thomas alsways seeks perfection, but just like with a Rhodes there is not that "one" perfect sound. I heard different D6 sounds, due to age and condition, and apart from one or two in a bad state I found they all had "character" and sounded great, despite slightly different tones.

Listen to the Frentzen one, who also began with the CA setting:
http://www.soundsondemand.com/found.asp/cfrentzen/cfrentzen_d6_piano/de/1
It sounds slightly different from the Scarbee, but I wouldn't call any of them better or worse.

Just sample your other settings as it is: it will simply be real and sound good.
spalding12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I think it's a good idea to leave it as it is.

The Scarbee is great, of course, and Thomas alsways seeks perfection, but just like with a Rhodes there is not that "one" perfect sound. I heard different D6 sounds, due to age and condition, and apart from one or two in a bad state I found they all had "character" and sounded great, despite slightly different tones.

Listen to the Frentzen one, who also began with the CA setting:
http://www.soundsondemand.com/found.asp/cfrentzen/cfrentzen_d6_piano/de/1
It sounds slightly different from the Scarbee, but I wouldn't call any of them better or worse.

Just sample your other settings as it is: it will simply be real and sound good.

i really appreciate your addition
i had not heard those before
incredible
thank you
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to installing this and have to give major props to Busch for the staggering amount of work he put into this. Finally I have a good sounding clav on my Kronos! Thanks man, great work, much appreciated!
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man,

Hey I'm putting the final touches on the update to the clavs which will include all four rocker switches (pickup) plus the filters covering all 15 filter settings. I'll also have the new Mk 1 and I'm reworking the presets on the Mk V.

Here's an example of the clavs going through some of the pickups and presets:

Purgatory Creek Soundware D6

Busch.
SteKeyboards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man, this clav is amazing! I love to play it and the quality is very impressive!
Any news about the update with the other pickups, presets anche filters?
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: