Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Korg with a Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: King Korg with a Kronos Reply with quote

Curious for those of you using it with a Kronos do you midi them together or run them as two separate synths with no connection between them?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition I would also like to know if KK paired with a Kronos really brings enough to the table to be worth it. Now I can see adding a Prophet 12 or something equivalent to the mix but don't the engines on Kronos take care of most of what KK has to offer?
xp50player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this out in the store yesterday and I think the KK is good addition to a Krome or SV-1 but not a Kronos. The keybed is not up to par with the Kronos and the synth engine does not bring enough to the table to improve on the Kronos' VA engines. It does sound great however, and the controls are sweet and smooth. I like how the octave-shift buttons blink at +/- 1 octave and stay lit at +/- 2 octaves. They are not SW1/2 buttons though, and I kept also reaching for the ribbon controller that is not there. I would have preferred the portamento button be near the joystick and not in the middle cluster of buttons.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not try the KingKorg yet, however, I think it would be better in combination with a Krome than a Kronos, because the Krome has 'only' EDS (sampling based), while the Kronos has already a lot of synth modeling engines.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MortenJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
In addition I would also like to know if KK paired with a Kronos really brings enough to the table to be worth it. Now I can see adding a Prophet 12 or something equivalent to the mix but don't the engines on Kronos take care of most of what KK has to offer?

I am just coming from Musikmesse and kingkorg still is my next synth to my Kronos and Virus TI.
I just love the sound of Kingkorg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfzp08_V1EM
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MortenJ wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:

I am just coming from Musikmesse and kingkorg still is my next synth to my Kronos and Virus TI.

Just watched the demo and I have briefly played KK myself and I agree that he KK sounds very nice. But what would be your thought on adding a JP80 or Prophet 12 instead of a KK? So far that's where I'm leaning to.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the Kingkorg on top of my Kronos 73.

With a Kronos with weighted keys (73 or 88 ), the KK keybed works well together. It's a well useable synth action keybed which can be used for Organ stuff as well.

Concerning sounds: the Kronos VAs are great for what they are, my favorite being the simple Polysix, and then the MS-20. I don't get any intuitive connection to prgramming the somethwat dry sounding AL-1, though I see how powerful it is.

With the KK, you get a lot of synth sound, fun and flexibility, which even the Kronos VAs don't deliver:
- the KK sounds definitely more analog-like, juicy and vivid than about any other hardware VA I know.
- The filters modelling is really a big step towards the various analog originals, and it allows the KK to fit into many different contexts with sounds reminding a lot of these originals: no Kronos VA can sound so much like a Moog or Oberheim or Prophet 5.
- the KK UI, though in a somewhat weird left-right design, is absoulutely hands on: you can program and change synth sounds on the fly anytime. It's easy to program and easy to use live
- The valve does a fantastic job in the KK: from my view it is even better fine-tuned within the KK signal flow, than in any other Korg device before: it ranges from smooth analog saturation up to a natural boost growl: fantastic options! In comparison overdrive modelling in the Kronos belongs to the weakest effects there: they are not well programmed (perhaps with the exception of the preamp effect) and sound quite harsh and digital. That makes it very hard to get natrual overdrive in Kronos sounds with Organs, EPs, Synth Sounds, EGuitar-Sounds etc. The KK is massively(!) superior here. And a better overdrive modelling stays one of the most important Kronos OS tasks for the time being from my view.

So all in all:
- it makes EVERY sense to put a KK on top of a Kronos (and not just on a Krome)! It does so soundwise anyway, and all the more on top of a Kronos with weighted keys.

Concerning the JP-comparison
- the KK is a MUCH more practical and performance oriented VA synth than any Jupiter 50 or 80 can ever be, with their absolutely poor UI: I can't and won't ever play a live VA synth with something of that ridiculous control level.
Another problems with the JPs is that up to now they don't have a librarian (something you definitely need to manage your synth sound libraries) up to now, and Roland said they have no such plans. I hope for the few JP users, that they still can change Rolands mind, but I doubt it after my own time with Roland.

You have to decide about the sound character you want: the JPs offer some really nice warm classical Roland sounds. The KK is great at anything reminiscent of Moog, Oberheim, Prophet 5, MS20 or Acid, and it offers a ten times more direct hands on approach both for programming and live play.

Concerning the Prophet 12:
I like Dave Smith a lot and was really fascinated by the design of the new Prophet 12. I laso don't care if the oscs are digital there, as long as the result sounds good.
But a close listen to the demos has disappointed me: when the filters of this are openend step by step, they reveal a for my ears very harsh and dry basic tone of this synth: this does certainly not remind me of the Prophet V in a convincing way. But anyone can make up their own mind about that.

The funny thing is:
After checking all the other options, I always love coming back to the KK. I hate the name, but this little polyphonic VA synth does a wonderful job for me.

Last edited by jimknopf on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
MortenJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
MortenJ wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:

Just watched the demo and I have briefly played KK myself and I agree that he KK sounds very nice. But what would be your thought on adding a JP80 or Prophet 12 instead of a KK? So far that's where I'm leaning to.

Prophet 12 was sadly not on Musikmesse so could not try it
Jupiter 80 is great alot of great sounds ,but have my eye on Integra 7 that will also get the synth legends sounds an editor for pc and mac soon
MortenJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I play the Kingkorg on top of my Kronos 73.

With a Kronos with weighted keys (73 or 88 ), the KK keybed works well together. It's a well useable synth action keybed which can be used for Organ stuff as well.

Concerning sounds: the Kronos VAs are great for what they are, my favorite being the simple Polysix, and then the MS-20. I don't get any intuitive connection to prgramming the somethwat dry sounding AL-1, though I see how powerful it is.

With the KK, you get a lot of synth sound, fun and flexibility, which even the Kronos VAs don't deliver:
- the KK sounds definitely more analog-like, juicy and vivid than about any other hardware VA I know.
- The filters modelling is really a big step towards the various analog originals, and it allows the KK to fit into many different contexts with sounds reminding a lot of these originals: no Kronos VA can sound so much like a Moog or Oberheim or Prophet 5.
- the KK UI, though in a somewhat weird left-right design, is absoulutely hands on: you can program and change synth sounds on the fly anytime. It's easy to program and easy to use live
- The valve does a fantastic job in the KK: from my view it is even better fine-tuned within the KK signal flow, than in any other Korg device before: it ranges from smooth analog saturation up to a natural boost growl: fantastic options! In comparison overdrive modelling in the Kronos belongs to the weakest effects there: they are not well programmed (perhaps with the exception of the preamp effect) and sound quite harsh and digital. That makes it very hard to get natrual overdrive in Kronos sounds with Organs, EPs, Synth Sounds, EGuitar-Sounds etc. The KK is massively(!) superior here. And a better overdrive modelling stays one of the most important Kronos OS tasks for the time being from my view.

So all in all:
- it makes EVERY sense to put a KK on top of a Kronos (and not just on a Krome)! It does so soundwise anyway, and all the more on top of a Kronos with weighted keys.

Concerning the JP-comparison
- the KK is a MUCH more practical and performance oriented VA synth than any Jupiter 50 or 80 can ever be, with their absolutely poor UI: I can't and won't ever play a live VA synth with something of that ridiculous control level.
Another problems with the JPs is that up to now they don't have a librarian (something you definitely need to manage your synth sound libraries) up to now, and Roland said they have no such plans. I hope for the few JP users, that they still can change Rolands mind, but I doubt it after my own time with Roland.

You have to decide about the sound character you want: the JPs offer some really nice warm classical Roland sounds. The KK is great at anything reminiscent of Moog, Oberheim, Prophet 5, MS20 or Acid, and it offers a ten times more direct hands on approach both for programming and live play.

and the effects on KK like the smallstone phaser model that is from SV1 are also great.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the KingKorg independently with the Kronos. It's great having the extra set of keys ready to lead or fill in while playing Kronos.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I play the Kingkorg on top of my Kronos 73.I hate the name, but this little polyphonic VA synth does a wonderful job for me.

Thanks for such a good review.

I must admit the KK is growing on me. I also have a Kronos 73 and have been giving this little synth quite some considerations.
Phabius

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Filters! Reply with quote

That's what I'm using now, Kronos 61 and KK (and waiting for the MS-20 Mini). The filters in KK are the great spot, and you can recreate lots of classic synth sounds with them, sounds which are impossible to be obtained in Kronos due to the different filter characters.

And both are great controllers for my iPad units Smile
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: