Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

m3 saved samples not there

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyros1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: m3 saved samples not there Reply with quote

Hello I am looking through the forum to see if someone has had the same problem but not found anything yet.

I have 3 songs I have been working on all have recorded samples in them i.e. the coins from pink floyd money, I work on the songs in the seq loaded one at a time due to previous dramas, and record the sample, save multi sample as a program and save all to usb stick, I do that for all 3 songs and when they are loaded one at a time the samples work.

When I load the 3 songs into the seq as a performance i.e. append when loading the samples do not work in each song, looking in the sample mode there seems to be samples there but they are not on the keys I allocated them to.

Has anyone any ideas on what is going on here?

Idealy it would be great if the sample could be saved into internal memory and all the seq had to do was point to it, but I understand this is not possible on the m3, recorded samples must be stored and loaded on external drives. is that how it works?

thanks for any input.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples all have to be reloaded into the same "slots" that they were in when the multisamples and programs were setup. The samples get referenced by their absolute location rather than being referenced by name.

I find this to be annoying and confusing but that's how it is. You should load all samples and multisamples together and save the whole set together for use with all of the songs that will use them.
cyros1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bald eagle, do you ever sleep lol, so i need to save each sample in its own slot say sample 1 in 001 sample 2 in 002 and so on then make sure that file is loaded with each song and has all the samples even if you use only one?

what file has the sampling data?

Its annoying that the samples cannot be saved to rom, the m3 is able to save changes you make to a rom sample so you would think recorded samples could be saved, seems another oversight

Can the Kronos save recorded samples to its ssd for ease of recall when they are needed again?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleep ... What's that Very Happy

You need to load each sample to it's own slot if you will be using them in programs the way that you described. I try to group related samples into sets and save everything together. You might have unreferenced samples sometimes and that can increase load times but it makes it easier to keep track of things. Use the Save All command to dump everything or Save Sampling Data to just save samples.

There are three types of sample-related Korg-format files:
.KMP files for multisamples, .KSF files for samples, and .KSC files which handle the first two as a collection. Similar to the AIFF format, .KMP/.KSF files consist of chunks. The Parameter Guide Appendix on page 630 has detailed info on this.

The Kronos can save samples the same way as the M3. There is also an option to create the disk streaming version of your KSC.
cyros1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello talk about pulling out what little hair I have, I tried to save samples in specific slots and name them first song I saved a buzzer sound to sample slot 000 L 001 R, next song saved samples to 002 L 003 R and 004 L 004 R and indexing MS 001 002 and 003 thinking that when I load the songs the samples will automatically go to the slots I originaly alocated but NO they load in the order you load the songs so the sample i had in slot 002/003 goes to 000/001 and i still get no sound when i load 2 songs.

Surely korg are'nt so dumb as to use a system whereby I need to record all my samples at one time on different keys then save all those samples with every song that might use only one of them,

Thats the next thing I try but if thats it wtf where korg thinking

sorry to hassle you again bald eagle but is that how it works?

Again it would have been much simpler to record to rom or at least load the sample to the programe you alocated regardless of any other influence so if i saved a sample to UD-070 buzzer then when I reload that song the sample is directly pointed to the programme it was saved to regardless of what slots they are in in the sample mode
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First there is no way any system can record to ROM since the RO means Read Only. That being said I agree that Korg should have made a better way of managing sample data.

It sounds like you are still trying to load and save bits and pieces of your sample data rather than everything as a complete set. You may also be confusing samples and multi-samples.

The sample is the wave form and that gets loaded into whatever the next available slot is. There is no way to control that as far as I know. Then there is the multi-sample. That's just a key mapping of different samples. You can specify what slot to use for them. Then you use a multi-sample in a program and you have a relationship like Program --> Multi-Sample --> Sample.

When all of this is reloaded everything has to be in the same slots and if you are only saving parts of things they won't be reloaded properly. If you have a set of say 3 songs that will be using 3 multi-samples that reference 10 samples you have to save them all together as a set or they won't map properly when reloaded. This is especially true for the samples since they just load into the next slot.

Lets say you have 2 samples in memory. You setup your multi-samples and programs and save them and all is good. Now you power on again but you only load sample 2. It gets loaded into slot 1 because there is nothing else there yet and it's now mapped incorrectly.

So as you have observed you do have to save all samples with every song that may use them or deal with a lot of complicated remapping of reloaded data. So yes, it would be nice if everything could be referenced by name and then all reloaded dynamically as needed but unfortunately this is how it is.

Here's an article at karma-lab that explains things in more detail.
http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/korg-m3:understanding-sampling-data

Let me know how it works out and if you have any other questions.
cyros1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello bald eagle, yes i will have to treat a group of say 5 songs as a unit save all,what i did was load 4 songs, delete samples and then record the samples again in seperate indexes and on different keys that seems to work, means when i reload that group of songs as a single file the sampler should get all its info in the right spots, at least it has worked that way after i powered off and restarted/reloaded.

next issue is keeping track of what is the next index number and what is on what key, I might do it all again and try indexing to keys that are below what I have on my 73, C0 etc then tie that to the pads,

thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: