Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INT vs. EXT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnroney

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: INT vs. EXT Reply with quote

i have posted this query a few times on the site, and i'd like some of you (who are willing!) to test something for me...

i'm trying to setup a combi so that INCOMING midi messages are routed to other external devices...

so, here's the workflow:
CONTROLLER X >>> (to the MIDI IN) of Microstation >>> (midi out to) some sort of device (be it a USB midi device or external synth, or something that can 'check' the incoming message)

easy right... ?
and you setup a COMBI so that the MIDI/OSC so that, say, part 6 has a MIDI channel of 1, but is set to EXT (or EXT2) not INT.

so... you play a note on CONTROLLER X (ch. 1), and nothing happens on the microstation. (desired effect - it's set to EXT)...
But, for the life of me, i've not been able to get THIS message to go OUT via the MIDI OUT (EXT? EXT2?) of the Microstation.....

based on my tests, the EXT and EXT2 settings ONLY relate to messages that originate from the Microstation itself - i.e. you have to play something on the Microstation keyboard ... OR.... you have to have an arpeggiator play something on that desired PART - (in this example, part 6)

humph.... REALLY?
is there no way to 'MERGE' the midi signal from an external controller THRU the microstation ? (my yamaha CBX-K1XG does this awesomely with amazing accuracy for large parts)...

anybody?
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a Microstation yet, and never had the need to do this when I had my M50, but for the best of my knowledge, you need to have a midi-thru port, which the MS doesn't have. Neither the M50 had.

I think your only option is to use an outboard MIDI mixer. I use a MOTU micro express, and I love it very much. I can do everything I want with it. Control multiples sources and modules, everything.

Mine is an older model, though, but works for me perfectly. No complains.

Check out the latest iteration:

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/micro_usb

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like you understand the situation perfectly. There just isn't a feature to do what you want.

I used to use a MIDI Patchbay to achieve the same as Moccando.. I have a MoTU MIDI TimePiece MK II. It's effectively a programmable 8-in/8-out MIDI router.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could use a (hardware) MIDI splitter.
I don't have experience with such devices though.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: