Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speculation on the Sampling Feature Korgs Silence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Speculation on the Sampling Feature Korgs Silence Reply with quote

It seems apparent from several posts and experiments by users that the Sample Load feature does exist on the Krome.

I wonder if anybody has pointedly contacted Korg to confirm or deny this feature?

My take is that the feature is there as a test, and that Korg "may" have designs on a future Krome-X that will feature sample loading. It would be easy to port over the core OS and features already in the Krome to the new keyboard, the new board could possibly feature a larger RAM bank, memory being cost effective. This would open the door to Korg and 3rd party sound designers to sell waveform sets.

I dont think they will make available the software for users to create the required type meta filecorrect
Chriskk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother? Digital synths (or digital products) almost always have hidden features - developer tools, testing tools, debugging tools, etc.
KromeItaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Why bother? Digital synths (or digital products) almost always have hidden features - developer tools, testing tools, debugging tools, etc.

Chriskk share.
You're right, why bother?
Also it is very early, and has just been born the Krome.
While it is already a reality official Korg devote his time to load from Krome, old sounds and Sint Workstation famous. See Triton etc..
In the future you will have the sounds of M20.! We hope.

Hello Andrea
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:

Wow, what a comment.

GO spread your cheer to the other posts concerning the sampling feature.

I am sure the one fella who spent time reverse engineering the samples shares your opinion.

Agreed there have been Easter Eggs since the first synths arrived, BUT one Central American Korg dealer is selling SD cards based on this feature.So hardly a why bother...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temper the "why bother" comment with a little common sense.

Clearly, a sampling feature would be worth while and just as clearly there's a lot of interest in it. Patience.

I've been here a while and lost track of how many "...and then it just stopped working." and "How do I reset" posts I've seen.

I would be really cautious about the how and why of putting in new sample sets blindly.

We've got a distributor in S.A. saying, "go ahead" with no indication from Korg corp as to whether it's approved/sanctioned or voids the warrantee. Maybe they're still trying to figure it out because the vendor in Peru is selling pre-voided never-under-warrantee synths. Maybe they're saving it for NAMM or a V.2 OS. Too many maybes for me.

I'd be wary of using it now without having full documentation of any "easter egg" feature.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Chriskk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K has 32MB of RAM if I'm not mistaken. That amount is hardly usable in this era. You'd be better off buying a 20 year old sampler on eBay if you needed a sample playback capability. Plus, you cannot sample with the K.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...plus you cannot sample with the (sic) Krome"

So you are left (maybe) waiting for the release by Korg of proprietary sample sets such as the 'Latin' soundset on SD card for the Peruvian Krome.

[And still, AFAIK, no public posting of files despite the clamor among users outside Peru.]

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Chriskk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

So you are left (maybe) waiting for the release by Korg of proprietary sample sets such as the 'Latin' soundset on SD card for the Peruvian Krome.

BB

?? My point was that it's fertile hoping to get the sample payback feature from the Krome.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

It's not being sold as a sampler (active) or for hidden sampling features (active). What's being touted at the Peruvian site is an additional set of waves for Peru (e.g. South America / Latin music).

I don't expect Korg to make user sampling a feature.

I do expect that soon-ish they will come out with a wider release of that card and/or other sample cards or downloadable files for use in a user's own card.

32 Meg of sample memory is "hardly useable"? It's all that was required for any of the Emu proteus line and if I recall it right something like eight times what was on the PCM sample memory of the original M1 at just 4 MB.

So right there is a product that would get my attention - Krome with all of the original M1 multi-samples, plus those developed for all of the PCM cards (per the KLC) -- there's room there -- turning your Krome into a retro beast.

Sold.

BB

[btw: futile]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: