Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taurus Bass pedal sounds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laandodeman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Taurus Bass pedal sounds Reply with quote

The Taurus bass in the Kronos factory settings is not even close to the default Taurus bass of the original Moog. However, one would suspect that AL1, or any of the other synths should have the possibility to create a Taurus like sound. I have been trying with the AL1, and even though it's better than the factory Taurus, I am not happy with the result. I make progressive rock in the style of Genesis and the sound really should make your kidneys resonate Smile

Does anybody have tips, hints, to create this original sound. Or perhaps have any clue how to get samples of the original Taurus patches?

Any help would be great.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key the Taurus (original, which is definitely different than the new Taurus II) sound was the FET-based integrator oscillator and the classic Moog 24dB/Oct Low Pass Filter, which produced a very edgy, in your face, and resonant sound....two great examples of which were used by Rush, in Tom Sawyer (very resonant), and the Xanadu intro (very deep and solid). I am not sure the AL-1 is capable of modeling that exact Osc or Filter type, and therefore, I fear you can only approximate the result there. I suspect you will be left disappointed in the end, if you seek a truly good emulation.

Being that the Taurus was a monophonic instrument, and that its raw filter curves were fundamental to its sound, I would suggest you might have more success with MS20 than AL-1 in arriving at such sounds. Naturally, when you say the "Taurus sound", that's very vague....because there are thousands of presets for the Taurus pedal instrument. But if you seek the basic ubiquitous Taurus sounds I spoke of above.....Look at MS20, or perhaps some samples of the original, such as this: http://rekkerd.org/loopmasters-moog-taurus-mk-1-bass-expander-sampled-moog-taurus-bass-pedal/ But there are many others out there too.

If you truly want the original tones.....you might consider the Minitaur...its amazing! I have to say my Voyager does the Taurus sound very well too! If you know someone who has one of these instruments, you could actually sample it yourself, since its monophonic and with a limited range (approx 1.5 octave)...would be easy to sample yourself.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.

Last edited by RonF on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
laandodeman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RonF, I think I will try some programming with the MS20 then. Any more tips would be welcome also by other forum members.

I just checked the link you suggested for the Taurus samples you suggested, but as my Kronos was such an assault on my budget, I still hope somebody on this forum would be willing to share free Taurus samples with the Kronos community Smile

I just sold my Voyager to be able to buy the Kronos by the way, I should have sampled it before, what a shame Sad
laandodeman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RonF, I think I will try some programming with the MS20 then. Any more tips would be welcome also by other forum members.

I just checked the link you suggested for the Taurus samples you suggested, but as my Kronos was such an assault on my budget, I still hope somebody on this forum would be willing to share free Taurus samples with the Kronos community Smile

I just sold my Voyager to be able to buy the Kronos by the way, I should have sampled it before, what a shame Sad
alanjpearson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Taurus Bass pedal sounds Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
The Taurus bass in the Kronos factory settings is not even close to the default Taurus bass of the original Moog. However, one would suspect that AL1, or any of the other synths should have the possibility to create a Taurus like sound. I have been trying with the AL1, and even though it's better than the factory Taurus, I am not happy with the result. I make progressive rock in the style of Genesis and the sound really should make your kidneys resonate Smile

Does anybody have tips, hints, to create this original sound. Or perhaps have any clue how to get samples of the original Taurus patches?

Any help would be great.

Yes - buy a Roland JV1080 with Synths of the 60's /70's board Very Happy
If you like Genesis here is the Roland 60's/70's Taurus in action:

http://www.losendos.co.uk/sounds.htm

r
Alan

www.losendos.co.uk
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some typical Taurus sounds and don't have to rely on an engine for tweaking the sounds yourself, the Karo sounds (EXS61 pedal bass) for the Kronos probably are the best choice. I use them, and they deliver a good choice of basic and well known Taurus sounds.

Else I would buy a Moog Minitaur, if you need more flexibility while coming close. A Moog Voyager does the job pretty well too, for those who use one.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I programmed a version of that fat Taurus sound in about 5 minutes with AL-1. I no longer have a kronos, but I probably have that patch bank somewhere....let me check.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious for that AL-1 sound as well.
If you find it, would you PM me as well?
laandodeman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
I programmed a version of that fat Taurus sound in about 5 minutes with AL-1. I no longer have a kronos, but I probably have that patch bank somewhere....let me check.

That would be great, please send me a PM!
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will dig it up this weekend. I saved everything I ever did on the Kronos so I have it somewhere. You might have to hunt around in some banks for it. Laughing
laandodeman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
I will dig it up this weekend. I saved everything I ever did on the Kronos so I have it somewhere. You might have to hunt around in some banks for it. Laughing

No problem, who knows what other nice thnigs I will find Smile
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
BillW wrote:

No problem, who knows what other nice thnigs I will find Smile

Ha, even I can't say.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found one backup that has the patch in it, but it's 45MB and has a few commercial sounds mixed in with it.

I bought a new Kronos this morning so I'll save it as an individual patch when the keyboard gets here in a few days.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the Taurus patch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41938822/Taurus.PCG

I got my new Kronos yesterday and was able to isolate this from the other stuff in those banks.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, and great that you have a Kronos again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: