Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading and saving sequence/songs to SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Loading and saving sequence/songs to SD card Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm new here at the Korg forums. I've had my microStation for a few months now and have only recently started projects that require loading and saving information to my SD card. The problem I'm having is that I haven't been able to find the sequence I've saved in order to continue working on it when I restart my microStation.

For instance, I created new song last night and after a half hour's work, I saved my file with the default "newsongXXX" name, using the save function in the global menu (XXX represents the actual blank song number).

I turned my microStation off and came back to it later in the evening. Using Global/Load, I've yet to be able to properly find and reload any song/sequence I've saved to my SD card.

Does anyone have a straightforward saving and reloading workflow? Being able to name the sequence before saving would certainly help...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Pierre
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg indeed made this hard to explain, so bare with me, haha...

The menu path for saving sequencer data is the following: Global Media > Media > Save SEQ

Sequencer Mode actually contains 128 song slots, but when you go to save a SEQ file, it's actually saving all 128 song slots even if you've only worked on one song. Consider it a "batch file" of everything.

Now, when you want to load the file later, this is the menu path for doing so: Global Media > Media > Load > Load SNG

This is where the confusion begins. Notice in the loading process how it's no longer referred to as a "SEQ" file, it's now called a "SNG" file.

From here, you have one of two options, "Load SNG" or "Load All."
"Load all" will load all 128 songs from file (even if they are blank), whereas "Load SNG" lets you select one of the 128 songs in the file to load. Personally, I like to use the "Load all" feature because I found the other option too messy to deal with. From there, you just press the SEQ button and it should have what you just loaded.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for this information! I'll certainly give it a try tonight.

It seems like everything should be so much more straight-forward but I chalk up the confusion to the minimum number of buttons and the labrinth-like menu system.

I knew the menu system would be problematic when I bought the microStation but I'm confident that once I get the workflow memorized, I'll be whipping through everything in a snap!

Pierre
johnroney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a job for a new software editor librarian !!!!!!
ToneM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sequencer smart enough to not overwrite your older songs saved on the SD or should you get used to using the "rename" command? Also, any idea of how many songs can be saved on a 2 gig SD?

ToneM

Sequencer Mode actually contains 128 song slots, but when you go to save a SEQ file, it's actually saving all 128 song slots even if you've only worked on one song. Consider it a "batch file" of everything.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time you go to save, it actually adds a new sequencer file with a different number appended at the end. So nope, it doesn't overwrite the previous file. You actually don't have to rename anything as long as you remember to delete the previous file after you save a new one.

The best workflow I've found to avoid any confusion is this:

1. Turn on the machine
2. Use the "Load All" feature to load the SEQ/SNG file before doing anything else
3. Work on whatever
4. Save SEQ/SNG file when done
5. Delete the previous file before powering off so that I only have the most recent file the next time I power on.

As for how many songs have be saved... probably thousands. I think it all depends on the amount of note data within. The single SEQ/SNG file I have has about 30 songs, but the memory card is like 99% free.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
ToneM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips about saving Re-Member! Really appreciate it!
KORG2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Save with custom name instead of "0000.MID"? Reply with quote

I also try to save my recorded songs to SD Card. The manual is so complicated! I finally got it to save and load. My problem: I can rename my song to a custom name - that's good! When I save it, it suggests "To: 0000.MID" and it can't be renamed. So I saved it, switched off/on the microStation and try to load it back: when loadin, I only see the "0000.MID" file name. I can load this and the sequencer shows my custom name again. So the custom name is somehow saved, but it doesn't make sense to have a custom name only in the sequencer. When I have several songs saved, I can't identify which of "0000.MID", "0001.MID", ... files is the song I want to load. Is there a way around this?
ToneM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to be able to save and re-load my sng file after following the directions. I must be missing some small step. So, I formatted my SD card in the MS. I edit a program adding some effects, tweaking this and that. I then do a save to song, pcg, etc. I am saving while in program mode since I'm not ready to sequence yet. When I load my sng it ask's for CLEAR, APPEND, I've tried both. I then click OK. I am assuming that after that when I play the keyboard I will hear my saved Program. But No. It appears that it loaded but I cannot find it. After I load do I need to do something else to play it?

I've read the manuals over and over and have tried Re-member's tips but no dice.

Re-Member wrote:
Every time you go to save, it actually adds a new sequencer file with a different number appended at the end. So nope, it doesn't overwrite the previous file. You actually don't have to rename anything as long as you remember to delete the previous file after you save a new one.

The best workflow I've found to avoid any confusion is this:

1. Turn on the machine
2. Use the "Load All" feature to load the SEQ/SNG file before doing anything else
3. Work on whatever
4. Save SEQ/SNG file when done
5. Delete the previous file before powering off so that I only have the most recent file the next time I power on.

As for how many songs have be saved... probably thousands. I think it all depends on the amount of note data within. The single SEQ/SNG file I have has about 30 songs, but the memory card is like 99% free.
ToneM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to be able to save and re-load my sng file after following the directions. I must be missing some small step. So, I formatted my SD card in the MS. I edit a program adding some effects, tweaking this and that. I then do a save to song, pcg, etc. I am saving while in program mode since I'm not ready to sequence yet. When I load my sng it ask's for CLEAR, APPEND, I've tried both. I then click OK. I am assuming that after that when I play the keyboard I will hear my saved Program. But No. It appears that it loaded but I cannot find it. After I load do I need to do something else to play it?

I've read the manuals over and over and have tried Re-member's tips but no dice.
bradkorg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to hear the Sound/instrument which you have editing/saving in PROG/CUSTOM to an USER PROG #xxx to be heard from your early SNG?
Then probably you need to re-edit those SNG assigned PROG #xxx to the new corresponding USER PROG #xxx.

---
USE PCG Tools for microStation:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88352
ToneM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, bradkorg. I see what you are saying. I think I will try it again except save while I'm in SEQ Mode as a SEQ file and then reimport as a SNG file. This seems to work for everyone in the previous posts I've read.

Thanks again!

bradkorg wrote:
You want to hear the Sound/instrument which you have editing/saving in PROG/CUSTOM to an USER PROG #xxx to be heard from your early SNG?
Then probably you need to re-edit those SNG assigned PROG #xxx to the new corresponding USER PROG #xxx.

---
joedodd123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what you mean

i still cant find song once iv got the append and clear stage

bradkorg wrote:

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: