Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bummer no after touch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djcactus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Bummer no after touch Reply with quote

i was looking at picking one of these bad boys up but i was going threw the spec sheet and noticed that it doesnt support after touch. Im not here to bash im here to ask...
After-touch necessity or luxury?
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no aftertouch on an acoustic piano - so t wouldn't be missed there.

On synth sounds and maybe strings AT might be more useful especially if you were adding a performance variation like vibrato after the attack or a filter effect.

AT might also be useful as a modulator for some other parameters or FX balances, but it isn't strictly necessary since those can be routed to other controls.

The nice thing about AT, tho', is that it is right under your fingers and doesn't require that you take a hand off the keys to affect the variation.

If you aren't adept as a player in actually using AT frequently, and if AT isn't an essential element of the sound for realism or for FX then I'd call it a luxury and say you won't miss it much... not, say, like you would a keyboard without velocity.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had aftertouch on my triton, but it is absent on my M50 and I for one can say I do not miss it in the least. The sounds of the M50 were so much better on the M50. The Krome will sound even better and it has superior features also. Smile
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out, on my Kronos 73, that AT can be a bad thing if you make splits and one of the sounds has AT and you want only, for example, the lead sound to respond to it but the bass also responds in an unwanted way. It does not work! It's channel AT so all sounds who have it programmed in will react to it. You have to make a copy of your sound and remove AT by hand from those copies. Makes more sense to add external controllers.
So it's not that bad if it's missing.
|'|'||'|'|'||'|'| / Physis Piano H1 / Roland Fantom G6 + ARX-01 & 02 / M3 61 & EXB-Radias & 256 MB / Arturia vCollection 3 / KLC / Minimonsta / Kawai K5000 S + R / Moog Little Phatty Stage II / Novation Ultranova / Roland JX-305 / TE OP-1 / iPad & microKey 25 & iODock. / Yamaha Rm1x & QY100 / Logic 9 & Mainstage |'|'||'|'|'||'|'|
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having aftertouch in a keyboard is an absolute requirement for many keyboard players, myself included. Although it's typically missing from budget boards like the Krome, M50, MOX and Juno-G, it's always available in the pro models (Kronos, Fantom, Motif, etc). If you don't know why you'd need it then chances are that you don't need it.
djcactus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information, usually i would use AT to get a boost of volume if my chords are coming off quiet though i was aware that there are plenty of applications other then something as simple as a bump in level. I just havnt had a set of keys other then my organ.

Its funny that velocity was mentioned because i usually play on a wurlitzer multi-matic percussion organ which obviously doesnt have any velocity settings
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcactus wrote:
thanks for the information, usually i would use AT to get a boost of volume if my chords are coming off quiet though i was aware that there are plenty of applications other then something as simple as a bump in level. I just havnt had a set of keys other then my organ.

Its funny that velocity was mentioned because i usually play on a wurlitzer multi-matic percussion organ which obviously doesnt have any velocity settings

Usually I don't want any organ sounds to respond to velocity. Velocity is necessary for pianos and all string instruments, brasses, and of course drums, but for organs I want it to behave like a real organ. If I want to adjust the volume of the organ, I just use a pedal, but once I strike a key, I want the full sound of the organ.

BTW, the Krome, and the M50 as well, do respond to AT but it doesn't have the hardware on its keybed. That means that, if you hook a controller or other keyboard with AT functionality, you'll be able to use is fully from within the Krome. I do that with my Wavestation, which does have AT, and I can hear sounds responding to AT, coming out of the M50. SO not all is lost.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
I found out, on my Kronos 73, that AT can be a bad thing if you make splits and one of the sounds has AT and you want only, for example, the lead sound to respond to it but the bass also responds in an unwanted way. It does not work! It's channel AT so all sounds who have it programmed in will react to it. You have to make a copy of your sound and remove AT by hand from those copies. Makes more sense to add external controllers.

That's not entirely true. Yes, both sounds will respond to AT if they are programmed to respond to AT. But you don't have to make a copy of one program and edit it, all you have to do is filter out AfterTouch on the MIDI Filters page in the Combi for the timbre you don't want to respond to it. One checkbox. Wink

BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Saxifraga wrote:

That's not entirely true. Yes, both sounds will respond to AT if they are programmed to respond to AT. But you don't have to make a copy of one program and edit it, all you have to do is filter out AfterTouch on the MIDI Filters page in the Combi for the timbre you don't want to respond to it. One checkbox. Wink

Yes indeed!
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
djcactus wrote:

Usually I don't want any organ sounds to respond to velocity. Velocity is necessary for pianos and all string instruments, brasses, and of course drums, but for organs I want it to behave like a real organ. If I want to adjust the volume of the organ, I just use a pedal, but once I strike a key, I want the full sound of the organ.

BTW, the Krome, and the M50 as well, do respond to AT but it doesn't have the hardware on its keybed. That means that, if you hook a controller or other keyboard with AT functionality, you'll be able to use is fully from within the Krome. I do that with my Wavestation, which does have AT, and I can hear sounds responding to AT, coming out of the M50. SO not all is lost.

BTW great info on AT my plan is to get a set of keys that feel nice then eventually upgrade to a future 61 key workstation. I like having AT options but right now i just need something full ranged and computer compatible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: