Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legendary Strings expression control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Legendary Strings expression control Reply with quote

Hi Kronosites,

I purchased Legendary Strings a month or so ago and have pretty happy with it. But I'm looking for a way to control expression, besides the envelope generators. I want to be able to control dynamics and swell and all those other juicy things, but can't find a way to do it.

What's the best way to control expression? Preferably without needing to modify every program one by one, although I understand if this is necessary.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an expression pedal I suppose. Or a breath controller, but I don't think Yamaha makes them anymore and you'd probably need a midi converter.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
With an expression pedal I suppose. Or a breath controller, but I don't think Yamaha makes them anymore and you'd probably need a midi converter.

Thanks SanderXpander. I do have an expression pedal specifically for this purpose, but it's in storage. I suppose I'd perhaps like to repurpose the VJS or something for this purpose, but I think that's going to involve reprograming every single program to keep them consistent Sad

It seems there is no controller assigned to this purpose, which seems a bit odd to me.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Tone Adjust controls?
Really though, a pedal or breath option is probably best since it leaves both hands free. Using the VJS (even disregarding that it's pretty hard to be precise with it) means only using one hand for playing.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in Global Mode set the pedal to "controller number 11- expression".
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a couple of years old but I searched for this exact same thing. I think the question is can you assign Dynamics/Expression to a Control Knob or Slider? I think this was the question he was asking. I am sampling my own Chamber Strings for example but would like to have some type of control over the Program using Expression.

Can either the Control Knobs, Slider or even the Joystick be reassigned to allow us to control the expression?

I am creating a Chamber Strings 3.0 Program and found that by adding FX to a bus and routing that instrument to the bus man the sound completely changes and it sounds like you are sitting inside a building listening to the strings being played. I've been sampling for years but never thought about doing this until a few days ago and let me tell you resampling sounds better than the original, so much it changes the sound completely.

BTW Is anyone here using VEP 5 going to upgrade to VEP 7? I stayed with VEP5 because I "heard" or "read" that VEP6 was too buggy.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
Can either the Control Knobs, Slider or even the Joystick be reassigned to allow us to control the expression?

On the Controllers tab in either Program or Combi mode, you can set Knobs 5-8 to any CC. These work when the Control Surface mode is set to Real Time.

When the Control Surface is set to Tone Adjust, then you can set any of the knobs, buttons, and sliders to many different expressive parameters.

If you want to set the Vector joystick to CC #11 (Expression), you can do that in GLOBAL mode under the Controllers tab.

HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: