Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to save a preset to disk ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: How to save a preset to disk ?? Reply with quote

Hey guys

Bought a floppy drive on ebay, which arrived today

I own the triton rack , and got offered a triton extreme at a very good price, so ended up taking that too.

I want to reset my rack (because when i first got it, i overwrite some prog presets which in turn screwed up some combi sounds) but i have some cool lead sounds ive made in the Prog section. How do i save individual presets to the floppy disk ? Im going through the menus here, but cant figure it out. Id like to save these before i reset it , and also put them onto my triton extreme. I assume they save as PCG files ??

Also , i have downloaded sounds from your download section. I have them on another floppy as pcg files. If i want to install them , how do i decide where they go ? I would like them to load into bank E , so i donot overwrite any presets after my reset.

Could someone explain this in very basic terms

Also , when i go into the pcg file, there are (i think) about 100 different files for a simple "jump" preset ... I am pretty confused here !! Confused Shocked
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The save function writes a .pcg file -- the depth of the save can be varied from program or combi single bank up to a full save that includes global, sequencer, programming and user drumkits.

The simplest save is a single bank, so you'd want to have your USER programs in the same bank, then save, ticking the boxes (you'll be prompted) for the bank(s) or architecture elements you want to save.

That saves to floppy.

You could also look at saving using MIDI directly to your computer -- running a librarian program would allow you to more freely move single programs or combis into new banks

There are free ones such as PCGTools or TritonLib or LeLibby that would do the trick for you there (PC or Java Run Envirinment, none for Mac that I know of).

-----------

That there are 100 "Jump" programs is just a symptom of the popularity of that sound in that song. It was used in lots of others - I think EVH said it was a preset in his Oberheim OBX or Matrix6.

-----------

You load .pcg as a block (all data) or you can OPEN the .pcg file (typical folder explore format) and dig down to the data type (i.e., combi), bank (ABC...) or even individual voice. Choosing "load selected data" in the pull down menu should bring up a small page that lets you name/rename the program (please, not "Jump!") and select a location letter/number. When loading a bank it should let you choose bank to overwrite.

Again, librarian program would let you build/modify a full .pcg for your synth including all the extra background data (scales, drum kits, etc.)

------------

Final bit of advice - the arp section of the Triton Rack is big enough to load all the arps found on the triton extreme with a few left over - it's worth doing to get additional drum and synth patterns to use in setting up new combis.

BB

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the reply

so i have just saved my lead PROG sound to bank E001

i then goto disk mode , save . fresh blank floppy ready .

i untick I-A etc so that only I-E and E-E are ticked

i untick global settings , so i suspect this is the very minimum amount of data you can save

then it tells me not enough space on floppy .... where am i going wrong here?

its only 1 lead sound , a nice variation on espress lead
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a side note , just managed to get a file loaded successfully - monsterlead, from your download section , which sounds surprisingly like my lead patch i made , so atleast im ontrack for making decent sounds lol . Some crazy broad vibrato on the expression bar with this patch

still lost on howto save 1 prog setting, as opposed to a whole of bank e
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ive finally got the drift ! You cant load a single prog as such , you must create a pcg file with the specific layout you desire, then load it into your chosen banks . I just checked out some lead file pcg from download section and it is very epic

So i downloaded TritonLib , and going do a factory reset on my triton rack.

Plan is ; get defaults back so combis are all working correctly , then create a pcg file with all the lead sounds and load them into bank E

I was trying to find a default rack pcg , but cant spot it , so i am thinking , if i do a master reset , then save that as a pcg file , import it into tritonlib and edit bank E to have the additional lead sounds, ill be good to go

But would i even need to create that default pcg ? Im guessing that because all the default sound are stored on ROM , i dont need to bother and will only need to create bank E lead sound pcg....

making any more sense ?? Laughing
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bats,

Been a while for me + TritonLib but I think its just a matter of creating a new file, or if not that just "borrowing" the template from another .pcg such as the factory presets.

With TritonLib I'm not sure that the full rack .pcg is supported - just the equivalent of the Triton Classic. The Triton Rack is actually the equivalent of the Studio or Extreme, so making a .pcg file that has all the extras may mean that it won't all actually fit on a single floppy disc.

I think you're OK with an A thru E, tho; just not the "whole synth" file.

I know that PCGTools and LeLibby both support a larger file layout for Studio and Extreme - that's the bigger arp section and an additional 8 banks each of programs and combis - so look at getting one or the other of those. Of the two, I know that MK (pcgtools) is very active in updating features and debugging, and is an active member here.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: