Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would this be a good TR replacement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twstone1983

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Would this be a good TR replacement? Reply with quote

Hi, I was just wondering what some of you other Korg owners thought. Currently I am using a Korg TR88 as my primary keyboard ( I also use an N364 for some things) and my question is, would this new keyboard be worth upgrading to for someone who won't be able to afford a Kronos or even M3 at anytime in the near future?

I was looking over the specs and it seems like a really nice board for what it is. Although I am disapointed that it seems Korg has dropped aftertouch from their entry level line ups (my TR has it and its nice.) That aside it looks like you get a few more insert effects and a nice touch screen.

So what do you guys think? Thanks!

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
Stargazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it dependents on whether you use sampler in your TR or not. If you don't use sampler function, Krome is a better option. It has better screen, double the polyphony, double the ROM plus extra Piano section measured in Gigabytes.
On the other hand, TR seemed to be better built than it's successor M50. It may come down to how good is Krome built. You better lay hand on one and see it first when it becomes available.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think TR is better then Krome in many ways.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally, the touch screen alone would make it worth it. I don't ever want to go back to non TS workstations. Yes, it does make that much of a difference for any kind of serious editing.
gino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Would this be a good TR replacement? Reply with quote

Tim,
Like you, i use a TR88 also. I use it for gigging. I have been using it in a live environment for 4 years, without the need to use the sampler. Lately I've been have thinking how heavy it is to lug and was going to consider the Yamaha MOX8. Never having owned a yamaha would have meant a bit of a learning curve to recreate my patches/splits. Now that the Krome has been announced, i really intend to give it a serious listen and play, with the view to replacing my TR88 with it. I'm hoping the build quality will be okay. The way i look at it, if you can live without sampling and aftertouch, it will top the TR88 in all other aspects. We will be able to take advantage of the touch screen, easier ways to organise/access combi's for gigging and any newer technology within the synth, but we get the advantage of using our familiarity with the Korg workflow.
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the krome would be superior to the TR in many, many ways indeed,. Once you have tried that beast out for about 10 mins. I am sure you will understand why. The touch screen is a very powerful tool and the on board Rom will blow you away. The M50 would be one hell of an upgrade from a TR and the Krome even more so. The speed and ease of sequencing with it will bring a smile to your face no doubt. Smile
I already have an M50 and an LE , The Le never gets used any longer. My next step up will be to something more in the Kronos category , however if I had not already purchased my M50 the Krome would be next on my list.
twstone1983

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I do hope to get the chance to check out a Krome and see/hear the difference.

One thing I would definately like is the ability to transition through different patches quickly. The live mode on the Kronos really piqued my interest that its so easy to switch between patches as well as the SST function, though it appears the Krome doesn't have either of these capabilities.

As for the TR, I got is used for a really good price just as the M50 was released. I was looking at the M50s as well as the TRs at the time and while I really did like what the M50 had to offer, I didnt like that there was no after-touch or sampling (though to be honest I really have yet to use the sampling function on my TR.)

That does bring me to a question I have for any M50 owners. Since the M50 lacks sampling, is it still possible to load custom sounds into it? or are you restricted to pretty much creating your own within the M50? Also one of the things that had originally piqued my interest in the M50 was that they made it easier to switch patches. I don't remember exactly what was said on that topic as its been a few years since I read up on it, so if anyone could explain how patch changing in the M50 is different/easier than the TR or other Korgs, I would appreciate it as I have a feeling that the Krome will work similarly. Thanks again, always helps to get other musicians perspectives!

Current Gear: N364, TR88, Kross61, Art Pro MPA II, Studio Projects B1, Shure SM58/SM57, Behringer C1, Behringer XM8500, Yamaha MG 10/2, Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Steinberg CI2, Cubase AI 6.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cannot be loaded into the M50. The soundset is strictly limited to the factory ROM.

There is a way to have one-touch switching of sounds, namely to create custom combis and have them arranged in Combi Bank D (which is available for user combis). You can organize them as a category (factory default category is "User 16"). Then when you do a category search, you're brought to a screen with a list of all your custom combis. You can stay on this screen and activate each preset with one-touch. You don't need to actually go into the combi's screen.

Korg USA has a video on YouTube detailing several ways of approaching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKbLb_eX48Y

The M50, however, does not have smooth transition. When you go from one preset to another, the sound and the effects cut off. There is a slight, although imperfect workaround which is detailed in this thread.

Hope this helps.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajbbklyn wrote:
Sounds cannot be loaded into the M50.

Wondering if M50 sounds can be loaded in the Krome.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the pricing, I would think that Krome will be ROM only. In fact, it will be interesting to see whether the build quality is any better than the M50. Stay tuned...
twstone1983

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, with this bit of info released here http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=75074 it appears the only thing the TR88 has that the Krome doesn't is aftertouch... definately ups the anti I'd say.

BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstone1983 wrote:
I have to admit, with this bit of info released here http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=75074 it appears the only thing the TR88 has that the Krome doesn't is aftertouch... definately ups the anti I'd say.

No...Krome has no Sampling...thats not Sampling, it simply reading material
from an SD Card...TR has REAL SAMPLING and RAM which Krome doesnt.
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it will play back samples is a real game changer. A ton more ROM. Touch screen editing/piano roll. This thing is an absolute beast when compared to the TR/it also has effects that blow the TR completly away. I am already considering trading my M50 if Karma is released for the Krome. You could do a lot worse in choosing a new keyboard in it's price range for sure.
twstone1983

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
twstone1983 wrote:

No...Krome has no Sampling...thats not Sampling, it simply reading material
from an SD Card...TR has REAL SAMPLING and RAM which Krome doesnt.

Ok well correction. The TR has the ability to record its own samples and store them in memory if you have the EXB-SMPL and additional memory installed. Or if you have atleast the memory installed, you can load samples to it via SD card. Krome has the ability to trigger samples stored on an SD card. But as I understand it both units in some fashion can play samples, they just do it in different ways.

Personally my TR doesn't have the EXB-SMPL board installed, nor could I justify spending up to $300 to try and get one, when you can store samples on an SD and transfer them to the internal memory.

With the Krome, it seems that rather than having to transfer the samples to internal memory (which the Krome can't do) it will just play them off the SD card. Simply a different means to the same end, both boards can trigger sampled sounds. Atleast thats the understanding I have at the moment.

But overall you are correct in that, with the correct hardware installed, the TR can do its own sampling.

I have to admit though, since Korg is marketing this board as a good onstage giging machine, why didn't they include the set list feature like the Kronos has? I think I would definately be sold if it had that.

Attic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: M3 used Reply with quote

Get an M3 off Craigslist... that would be the better choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: