Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incredibly fragile body
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalanker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Incredibly fragile body Reply with quote

I'm really just checking to see if I'm the only one who has a problem with this. I couldn't be more in love with this instrument but if I tap the body of it leaves a dent, in some cases a gash. The material is just incredibly soft. I use the official gig bag. I'm expecting some smart comments about being more careful, but this is pretty extreme. It's starting to look worn in less then a year. I've never encountered that with another keyboard. Anyway, it's just such a beautiful looking instrument, it's disappointing. Has anyone had to replace these parts? -Thanks
gordorama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Bumped by drunks on the dance floor and it scratches.
Korg MircoStation
AceTone Top 1
Hammond M3 with 302c Leslie
1979 Rhodes 73 Suitcase
Wurlitzer 200a
Crumar Mojo
Hammond Sk1
johnroney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: cosmetics Reply with quote

mine is incredibly scratched because of a stand/rack modification that i made that doesn't quite fit properly in the case.
i gotta be honest, though - it looks amazing when it's all scratched up! like something from an ancient keyboard battle.
RobinOtto1990

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm curious. Can you guys post a picture of how it looks?

Roland FP-2
Boss dr220a
Rodney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobinOtto1990 wrote:
Well, now I'm curious. Can you guys post a picture of how it looks?

Mine seems incredibly tough and strong, but I've had mine since the first year they were out. Have they lightened the plastic in the latest version?
oy5t3h

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine for a year or so, and it's been gigged several times so far with no scratches or dents.

I don't intend to see how easy it is to scratch either, I intend to keep looking after it as well as I can.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Triton Extreme and it is cracked on one corner but that was my own fault: I tried to put it in a flight case that was too small (I have two, took the wrong one and closed it, at least tried to). It wasn't by much force but still it cracked.

I think the only way to protect an instrument is to use a flight case, but as said by others, if someone bumps it or when something happens outside the flight case it doesn't help.

The Extreme has some strange plastic parts, don't know how to explain, they look beautiful but are not designed for most strength.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
flyingace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Rodney, I've had mine since the first year and it seems built for bear! Heavy duty and HEAVY. The metal is thick and sturdy, the plastic on the ends and the knobs seem like they are made of very dense material. I've always been happy with the build quality.

I recently, while traveling through Nashville, TN, stopped off at the guitar center there and played one of the new models. I was really surprised at how cheap the knobs looked and the grey plastic end caps seemed really light and cheap. This must be where Korg is saving enough money to lower the price so low for the latest runs. Sad

I really hate that for you guys and YES, do post pics!!
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never had these problems.

I really doubt they would have spent time to change the body before the price drop as they haven't spent time on anything else.
javaj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion- look at the service manual part for the metal and get a quote from Korg or authorized parts place for a new one. Maybe it is worth the effort in gutting the unit and putting it all back in a spanky new skin?
lalanker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I posted three blurry photos to satisfy anyones curiosity.

http://korgdamage.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#9
RobinOtto1990

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Well, f*ck. Good luck with it... Maybe there's some retro, awesome way of patching it up?

Roland FP-2
Boss dr220a
javaj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow- I think mine is a little worse. Me thinks you need to spend more time closing your eyes and playing then looking at the case (I know- it's hard- it's a sexy beast!). Beauty marks is what you got!
saskatchewanobie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Incredibly fragile body Reply with quote

lalanker wrote:
I'm really just checking to see if I'm the only one who has a problem with this.

No problem here, but I'm 70 years old, and have mine locked away in my house and nobody touches it! Except me, and I baby it. No liquids near it, no dangers near it, I treat it like the queen of Sheba. Something has to cause scratches like that so it would be good to identify the source of the problem and move that problem out of the house.

Anyway, If mine was scratched like that I would take it in to an authorized service center and have those parts replaced. I would be sure that nothing sharp or could cause that kind of damage was allowed to get near my keyboard.

Sorry that happened man. Let us know if you identify the cause and how you move to prevent it from happening again in the future.
RobinOtto1990

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got the same problem. f*ck me, right? Only got the thing for one and a half weeks... First time I took it to band practice, even bought a heavy friggin' flight case for the thing... I put the music stand in the same flightcase, and that proved to be a big mistake. Scratches and marks over the body... Well, I know for sure that I'm gonna be mighty careful with it, but this really sucks. I'm not gonna put a sticker or something over any scratch that appears; might consider doing that with other gear, but the colour of the SV1 is just too sweet to put anything else there. And that includes f*ck*ng scratches.

A lesson lived is a lesson learned, I guess. Blugh. I feel like a retard.

Roland FP-2
Boss dr220a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: