Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Should I Buy Next: KP3 or Microkorg?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AfxTwn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Which Should I Buy Next: KP3 or Microkorg? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm not sure whether this is better in this forum or in the General Synths section but I'm trying to decide which of the above to buy next in my ever-increasing electronic set up.

I've seen them both online for quite reasonable prices at around £150 each (plus I'd have to pay £8 postage for the KP3 and £15 for the MK). I can only afford one though and I can't decide which to get as they're both very high on my wishlist of equipment to get.

I know they're both very different instruments and are used for different things but I'm trying to decide what would work bext with my current set up. I am leaning towards the Microkorg because it would be nice to have a proper keyboard-synth (and a portable one at that) to use for quick jams and playing live.

At the moment I have a Kaossilator Pro (so the KP3 would work brilliantly with that as I'd essentially have two samplers/loopers available), Monotribe, Monotron, DS-10 (the little MS-20 software synth-clone for the NIntendo DS), Mini Kaossilator (the first one) and a the first Mini Kaoss Pad (although that doesn't seem to work as well as it used to and the KP3 would replace that).

I tend to make improvised live music which I then record into my computer and can work on later to tidy-up/sequence into a more cohesive track. So I have everything plugged into a little mixer and drop things in and out as I like and build up layers/loops mainly using the Kaoss Pro as a looper.

After recently buying a Monotribe I've getting into my analog synthesis a bit more but as it doesn't have a proper keyboard it's hard to play proper riffs/basslines. Plus it's a nightmare to set the tempo and keep it synced with my other stuff and so I thought the Microkorg could be my main synth and I can use the Monotribe for live noodling.

So what do you guys think? Can anyone advise me what to get or is it a case of eeny-meeny-miny-mo?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I have both (& a Monotribe) in my studio & very good they are too.

You use a computer & combined with the KPs this can take care of sequencing/sampling/effects for now so I would get the Microkorg & perhaps add the KP3 later Wink The MicroKorg has its limits but it is nevertheless quite a deep little synth & great to learn on. The mini keys suit me well enough but you can always run it from a full size midi controller.

The KP3 is certainly a great piece of kit too & it excels at live manipulation of samples - better for interestingly random results than working with a mouse for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: