Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i need a nice keyboard for studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasem_bond

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: i need a nice keyboard for studio Reply with quote

hi

im looking for a keyboard only for a studio like midi controllers "something called like this I've no idea about the name"

i prefer M-Audio for this

and if there are better such these keyboards from any brands plz advise me Very Happy

thnx
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a "do all" board with knobs and sliders and pads, or for somethings simpler?

Would bundled software make a difference in your decision?

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Jasem_bond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx for the reply

im more interested in the keys quality ...even if u suggest the "do all" keyboard its better and faster i think, but I've put a budget about 700-800$
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cheapest Doepfer might be around that much. There's very little competition in the "keys quality" with them. M-Audio I honestly don't think has a reputation particularly for nice keybeds. Maybe check out Roland/Edirol? But do you want weighted, piano type action (e.g. the Doepfer) or synth or organ type action (e.g. the Edirol and majority of M-Audio).

If you'll be using it mainly to control softsynths then I think the Novation Impulse series is also worth a look.

But my number one bit of advice - if you're picky about keybed quality, try it out yourself! I've seen different people hate and love the same keybed. Both with expensive and cheap ones.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the Arturia keys/software package (Analog Lab 61) and tried out their keyboard. Gotta say I was really disappointed. I was expecting that a metal chassis and wood end blocks would feel much more substantial. I was sick about it until I realized that the free-standing display that my local GC had it on was bouncing the thing and letting it wobble like crazy - I asked if I could put it on an X stand and it was suddenly very solid feeling; night and day difference in playing and my impression of it.

So Sander's advice about playing is probably the best you'll get on this issue. Look at features, read the literature, assess how you'll use it, but most important - get your hands on it before you buy.

And don't ignore the ergonomics of the keyboard. A matter of an inch difference in where the pitch and mod wheels are mounted can make a huge difference in whether they are useable... as can the difference between wheels and a joystick... as can the springiness of unweighted boards and the return speed of weighted keys... as can the layout of assignable knobs and the throw distance of sliders... as can whether pads are on the right or left side of the keyboard.

All these factors become obvious once you play the actual keyboard.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Jasem_bond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAANX guys for your advises

I've to try
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasem,

You don't show an adress, so I don't know what your access is to "US only" internet stores, but a recent cruise through the used gear section at guitarcenter.com showed a lot of keyboards under $400.

Something with full sized keys, after touch, velocity, and a few assignable knobs and a couple of hundred sounds might be better than a "controller only" option.

Boards by alesis (QS8 - weighted 88), Yamaha (S03, MM6), M-audio Venom and others had me hooked pretty quickly.

GC and other retailers also may offer an in-house warrantee - something you wont find with used gear from other users.

BB

orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatar, an Italian keyboard manufacturer, who also builds keyboards for the major synth brands offers a variety of good masterkeyboards e.g. the VMK-188 Plus.

More info:
http://www.studiologic-music.com/vmk.html?product=1
http://www.studiologic-music.com/
http://www.studiologic-music.com/company-profile.html
http://www.fatar.com/pages/TP_40_GH_ES.htm
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
jimmyss75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I give my few cents? favorite keyboards that I know stand out are..
Most are old but I guess they HAVE been abit lacking in quality in newer models, that's my personaly view at least. (Except in extreme pricey models)

For what's it's worth here goes..

- Yamaha DX-7 first badge (clicky great for rythms abit harsch for large sequences of pianossimo)

- Ensoniq SQ1/SQ1+ VERY soft never seen another one like this, very soft and in a very nonspongy way. Definitly on my wishlist if i had to pick max 10 keyboards in the world as controllers. (Great airy sound on acoustic flutes, and dist guitar effectbox inbuilttoo)

-Ensoniq TS10/12 Great keys TS10 somewhat like SQ1, TS12 just great weighted ones. VFX/EPS/ASR10 I think has similiar, could be easier to find. They are some of the few that have poly aftertouch if that matters.

- Korg T3 (probably T2 aswell) got a very characteritic feeling to it.

- Roland D50 opposite of DX7 not klicky at all but smooth, too "notcklicky" for my taste but you can feel the quality still, great keys.

- Emu MPS+ keyboard, very soft and nice stable keys aswell.

To make me clear where I stand I hate the otherwise so beloved Kurzweil K2000 for example. Stable as hell and feels amazing 15min but spongy after you've played it for a day you don't want to touch them ever again. That's my humble opionion just so let you know where I stand in the other choices.

One of the last keyboards I used is Axiom Pro 49. Very unusual and nice.
I would love a perfect true fully weighted keyboard but light enough for general use anyday though. Oldie but goodie there would be KX88 (FATAR comes next and they are still being made, I find them not as good as their reputation seem to be though).
LastFM: http://www.lastfm.se/user/JimmyQQQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: