Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know of a great songwriting book?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Song writing - Lyrics & Collaboration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MelodyMaker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Anyone know of a great songwriting book? Reply with quote

Hey everyone!
Kinda new to songwriting/lyric writing and was wondering if anyone knew of any great songwriting books out there? Something that can help me improve on all levels. I know that I can search these forums and the web all day - but maybe some of you pros out there know something that the web doesn't! Help a noob out! Smile

Thank you and looking forward to your responses!
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of books available about harmony, chord progressions and song structure of popular songs, full with examples of more or less famous songs, but in the end you remain unable to develop your own melodies and songs.

This one is different:
Melody in Songwriting
It is the only book I constantly go back to in order to learn/review new techniques. Highly recommended!

Note: The author assumes you're familiar with musical notation and the harmony illustrations are keyboard-oriented, so if you're a guitarist you'll have to adapt the chord symbols to your own voicings. The book does not cover lyric writing, but only includes a few hints on aligning melody and text.
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
MelodyMaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome suggestions, everyone. Thanks for stepping up.

Found a terrific book, "How to Write a Hit Song, Fifth Edition" by Mollie Leiken.
Also made an appointment to meet in person with the author, who is reviewing some of my lyrics.
Fingers crossed.
Will keep you posted.
Deniće033

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: @MelodyMaker Reply with quote

Any updates on your projects?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Song writing - Lyrics & Collaboration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: