Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you overload the M3 processor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Can you overload the M3 processor? Reply with quote

I was watching a recording of a livestream rich formidoni hosted showcasing the Kronos. In it he pulled up a screen showing cpu usage and explained that if you were to insert "O verb" into every effects slot the unit would encumber some lag.

Is it possible for the M3 to experience processor intensive lag?

I remember seeing a post a long time ago where someone bragged about crashing their M3 because they were doing everything you could do with the unit. Not sure if that was a random occurrence or if you can work the M3 so hard that it will consistently crash, say if you had a huge song file or something...

Ever crash your M3 or experience lag because you were working it too hard?
Bakerman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the UI becomes slow to respond & draw new screens if KARMA is generating enough data.
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you overload the M3 processor? Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Ever crash your M3 or experience lag because you were working it too hard?

Dude . . . I only wish I knew how!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OASYS and Kronos utilise a dynamic polyphony system where different voices of different types from different engines are able to compete for processing time and resources and have the operating system hand them out on the fly.

It all generates all of its OS, control signals, audio, and fx processing on the Atom processor.

The M3 on the other hand has separate dedicated audio and system processors - the audio beng handled by some kind of DSP whilst the OS and control data is handled by an ARM CPU. The DSP only has to handle one engine, so its resources are entirely known and so the sound engine has fixed limitations such as polyphony.

So apparently generating a lot of KARMA data will overwhelm the ARM CPU that also handles graphics, MIDI, etc. But the state of the DSP is always much more controlled.

Additional engines such as the Radias would be handled by separate DSP resources on the card.

So the Kronos/OASYS software is considerably more complex, in part because it runs in a much simpler hardware (and more widely available as a commodity) setup.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. X-Trade, very well explained. You've always been a wealth of knowledge for me. You're definitely my go-to guy for all things Korg.
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I have noticed lag is when some pretty serious Karma stuff is going on at the same time as creating an audio recording direct to the M3 or iirc to external USB devices. To avoid this, I just created audio recordings directly to an external recording device and avoided recording directly to the M3 altogether (using spdif)
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if using the M3 KARMA software will exacerbate the lag caused by doing too much with KARMA?

The software lets you use 10 KARMA modules... Not sure if the extra power is handled by the computer running the software or the M3 processor.

I think the MIDI info is only sent through the M3 and not generated by the M3 but I haven't purchased the software yet so I can't speak firsthand.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KARMA software generates the midi data on the computer so that part does not put a load on the M3. However, the M3 engine still has to process all the midi data being sent so that could cause the M3 to run out of polyphony or other resources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: