Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How easy it is to use the sequencer in Microstation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stargazer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: How easy it is to use the sequencer in Microstation? Reply with quote

The answer will probably be decisive in my purchase. Please, answer from your experience. Is it complicated? May your reference be that I used sequencers in 01W/fd and Roland XP-80.

If someone says, "Take a look at the manual" - I did, but, instructions and workflow are not the same things.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequencer is fairly easy to figure out if you've already had experience with other workstations. The only problems I ran into is that if you don't set up the time signature before recording, glitches sometimes pop up in the tempo. There's also there's no "patterns," songs are just one long linear sequence. There's a "loop" function though, so songs can act as patterns. If you're used to chaining multiple patterns together to form a song, you have to copy and paste things around quite a bit.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
otter5555

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: How easy it is to use the sequencer in Microstation? Reply with quote

Stargazer wrote:
The answer will probably be decisive in my purchase. Please, answer from your experience. Is it complicated? May your reference be that I used sequencers in 01W/fd and Roland XP-80.

If someone says, "Take a look at the manual" - I did, but, instructions and workflow are not the same things.

as the other poster said, if you've used other sequencers you'll have no big problems.

i much prefer the ms sequencer to my roland fantam sequencer.

otter
johnroney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: sequencing? Reply with quote

get a netbook for 200 bucks.
any graphical sequencer is more intuitive, more flexible, faster, more powerful, and ultimately better than a sequencer that requires you to memorize button menus and constantly dig into the menu tree.
it's a great board. i personally love it, and have used the sequencer to make a dj-style pattern player... (i'll eventually make a vid)
however, to do anything musical, anything that you're going to use more than 30sec. to make a scratch idea, you are thousands of times more advantaged to use a graphical interface sequencer...
too bad KORG never included one in the editor ! ! !
Feelgood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Microstation in late 2010 with the original buggy 1.00 OS (although I haven't noticed many of the bugs while I've used it). I've used it quite a bit, both on it's own and MIDI'd up to a Korg ESX. At this point I haven't integrated the bundled software or a PC into my setup, I don't know if I ever will to be honest as I prefer just to use the MS as a standalone unit. That said, some of the basic sequencer functions as well as the extensive menu diving can be at times--very tedious, but still overall I find myself satisfied with the functionality, which is I must admit, relatively easy.

As I mentioned above, I often use the MS MIDI'd to my ESX with the MS as the slave and the ESX as the master. Having just read about all the bugs in the 1.00 OS and the reported 'time sync' problems that some people on here are reporting with the MS's sequencer, I'm now seriously contemplating upgrading to the 1.01 OS. Which is honestly kind of a downer because getting a hold of the upgrade and installing it is a major pain in the ass. Smile

I honestly haven't noticed any time discrepancies in the MS's sequencer when I'm using it with my ESX, but than again I really haven't used the MS all that much, or as much as I would like too, to know for sure. But yeah...it's still a great machine and one that I highly reccomend.
Korg Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://soundcloud.com/dr-feelgood
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: