Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you still use vsts synths? and why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you still use vsts synths?
yes
62%
 62%  [ 15 ]
no
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 24

biggrime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Do you still use vsts synths? and why? Reply with quote

I have really been digging into the EXB Radias. I honestly can't image using a vst synth (Not romprers). It just do not make any sense to me. There is nothing you can not create with this thing. So my question is for those who still does. Why? Maybe I am not seeing something.

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I never really used them (except for just checking them out a bit).

I play live, and don't have/want a computer in my live setup. Besides, I can get all sounds of my Kronos now.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MMT engine is my main sound design tool, be it with the RADIAS-KB or EXB. It can do almost anything, but not everything. The only other soft synths I use are Skanner (an instrument in Reaktor) and Steinberg's Retrologue.

Skanner is the most unique instrument/sampler I've ever used. Utilising what I've dubbed "scrub synthesis", its sound is made by modulating a 'diamond needle' position; not so unlike using a turntable. The output can be fed back into two oscillators.

Retrologue is good because it allows you to use Steinberg's VST Expression with a VA. VST Expression let's you modulate CC's per note. I really only use it if I run out of RADIAS timbres which is very rare.
biggrime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
The MMT engine is my main sound design tool, be it with the RADIAS-KB or EXB. It can do almost anything, but not everything. The only other soft synths I use are Skanner (an instrument in Reaktor) and Steinberg's Retrologue.

Skanner is the most unique instrument/sampler I've ever used. Utilising what I've dubbed "scrub synthesis", its sound is made by modulating a 'diamond needle' position; not so unlike using a turntable. The output can be fed back into two oscillators.

Retrologue is good because it allows you to use Steinberg's VST Expression with a VA. VST Expression let's you modulate CC's per note. I really only use it if I run out of RADIAS timbres which is very rare.

Yea I love Reaktor. I have made some really nice synths and effects on that. I have used many VSTs but, with radias. I just cant justify using them. I only use vsts to get ideas for sounds to program in the M3. thats it

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VSTs all the time. My favourites are Reaktor (numerous machines), FM8, Massive and Absynth
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you still use vsts synths? and why? Reply with quote

biggrime wrote:
I have really been digging into the EXB Radias. I honestly can't image using a vst synth (Not romprers). It just do not make any sense to me. There is nothing you can not create with this thing. So my question is for those who still does. Why? Maybe I am not seeing something.

Hell yes ! Very Happy

In fact, I've moved more towards VST's over the last 12 months and left the Kronos 'in the shop' and the M3 in the attic!

I don't want to be negative towards the M3 - I love it, but when I got a fast, memory rich PC last year, I started to build up a collection of Ableton-hosted, (genuine) VST's including Omnisphere, Komplete 8, Gladiator, Arturia collection, Sylenth to name just a few - all pumped through Ozone. I spent some pretty serious money doing this - I daren't add it up but probably enough to have bought a Kronos...

Having the power to run several instances of different VST patches layered together can create soundscapes far greater than I believe is possible with the Radias EXB.

But the attraction for me is that I'm no longer at risk of major hardware losses. If my M3 or Kronos (which I don't have) broke down out of warranty, it could be disastrous. Sure, my PC can break down as well, but it would be a lot easier to fix / cheaper to replace than a hardware synth - and I can always re install the VST's.

Sure, for a live performer, I think hardware is much more flexible / more 'immediate' than vst's, but as I don't play live, it makes no difference to me whether I am using a workstation, a synth or vst's to write a track - and as the latter obviously has 100% integration with a PC interface, it's a lot easier to do 'things' with.

Anyway at the end of the day, VST's are easier to hide from the wife, than a synth!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you still use vsts synths? and why? Reply with quote

iixorbiusii wrote:
Having the power to run several instances of different VST patches layered together can create soundscapes far greater than I believe is possible with the Radias EXB.

I'd like to hear some of your sounds. Omnisphere is a beast, but if we're talking about the radias exb then we're also talking about the M3. Four RADIAS timbres layered with 8 EDS programs with possibly 10 KARMA modules running is an incredible amount of sonic power that would be hard to match with a regular PC. Unless you invested a bit on your desktop you'd be pressed to equal the capability of an M3, much less a Kronos without peaking the cpu.

Raw power aside, I think a versatile setup is perhaps more important. Gladiator can do things no other synth's can hope to. Layer that with a sweeping wavetable from Massive and you're in business.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M3 and Kronos and AL-1 and Radias and all of them together can not come
even close to 1 of the VSTis, forget most of them...i cant imagine music
without VSTos, my M3 and Kronos serve me ONLY as MIDI controllers and
nothing else when it comes to Studio Work. I use them ONLY to develop
Sounds for them and thats it.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
M3 and Kronos and AL-1 and Radias and all of them together can not come
even close to 1 of the VSTis, forget most of them...i cant imagine music
without VSTos, my M3 and Kronos serve me ONLY as MIDI controllers and
nothing else when it comes to Studio Work. I use them ONLY to develop
Sounds for them and thats it.

That’s rather ironic since some of the best VSTi's like Omnisphere are all based on samples extracted from workstations and synths.

Regards
Sharp.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knot its Ironic...but its the Freedom and Workflow you get in there.
Of course Kronos is nice but in no way can be compared to what Reaktor
or Kontakt full of Libraries can do.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Do you still use vsts synths? and why? Reply with quote

iixorbiusii wrote:
biggrime wrote:

Hell yes ! Very Happy

In fact, I've moved more towards VST's over the last 12 months and left the Kronos 'in the shop' and the M3 in the attic!

I don't want to be negative towards the M3 - I love it, but when I got a fast, memory rich PC last year, I started to build up a collection of Ableton-hosted, (genuine) VST's including Omnisphere, Komplete 8, Gladiator, Arturia collection, Sylenth to name just a few - all pumped through Ozone. I spent some pretty serious money doing this - I daren't add it up but probably enough to have bought a Kronos...

But the attraction for me is that I'm no longer at risk of major hardware losses. If my M3 or Kronos (which I don't have) broke down out of warranty, it could be disastrous. Sure, my PC can break down as well, but it would be a lot easier to fix / cheaper to replace than a hardware synth - and I can always re install the VST's.

Sure, for a live performer, I think hardware is much more flexible / more 'immediate' than vst's, but as I don't play live, it makes no difference to me whether I am using a workstation, a synth or vst's to write a track - and as the latter obviously has 100% integration with a PC interface, it's a lot easier to do 'things' with.

Anyway at the end of the day, VST's are easier to hide from the wife, than a synth!

What exactly do you mean by pumped through OZONE? I mean I know it means you use it to process your sounds (effects), but how exactly are you using it?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Do you still use vsts synths? and why? Reply with quote

iixorbiusii wrote:

Not really, lately mine finds them in the Credit Cards Bills and Statements. Sometimes i'd rather tell her its a Strip Bar charge.
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Do you still use vsts synths? and why? Reply with quote

apex wrote:

What exactly do you mean by pumped through OZONE? I mean I know it means you use it to process your sounds (effects), but how exactly are you using it?

Hi - I guess when I said 'ALL' and 'PUMPED' through Ozone, this is an exaggeration. In truth, I probably only route a few VST's through Izotope Ozone 5. Usually fatten up bass patches with it, and maybe reign-in overtly bassy Bass Drums to prevent frequency cancellations elsewhere (or whatever it's called - I'm no pro!). Some subtle stereo imaging here and there etc. The great thing with Ozone is that the effects are quite subtle, almost to the point where it's not immediately obvious that you've applied something (until you bypass everything later on and realize how 'flat' things can sometimes sound without it).

Anyway, going back to BG's original post - I think if he's spent the time to get to know the Radias EXB and knows how to program it, then he probably can achieve really great results with it. I never spent the time to get to know it and relied only on presets. This suited me though, as I got quite into creating combis and sharing them with 'the community', so working with only presets helped to ensure compatibility.

But the beauty of vst's vs Radias EXB (or other hardware) - for me - is the ease of integration and workflow with Ableton Live. I've got more than a dozen totally different synth engines at my disposal, plus stacks and stacks of effects processing options.

Just one last comment from me on this one - what I do miss now that I work exclusively with VST's (with the exception of the Virus TI), is KARMA. This is a great tool for taking your music to places that your own (or my own!) imagination / skill level would never have achieved. 'If' I was composing professionally, I think I'd use KARMA on the M3 for ideas - but the end result would probably be based around the sounds from the VST's and not the M3 itself.

Now if only Mr. Kay would develop a VST-based version of KARMA ... Idea Question Very Happy
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Do you still use vsts synths? and why? Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Sometimes i'd rather tell her its a Strip Bar charge.

Now that's funny!!
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: