Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another question about live environment and levels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbsch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: another question about live environment and levels Reply with quote

I know there are some posts about Kronos Audio level and live setup up but the answers did not fit for me and so i decided to ask this questions:

1.) Should I press or not the -20dB Button of my SM Audio Pro DI8E in conjunction with my Kronos?
2.) What do you think is the "optimal" level (shown on a mixer level meter) when playing in band context:
a) Pads
b) Organs
c) Piano
d) Brass
e) (Synth) Solos
f) ...

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, sharing your knowledge and your patience.

Herbert
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the -20dB Button of my SM Audio Pro DI8E, but when it comes to levels, your ears should be the final judge. Use the "optimal" level (shown on a mixer level meter) as a reference. A lot of factors come into play.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to find the maximum level during sound check by playing a regular piano using lots of lower notes. That usually has the highest peak levels.

When it comes to question 2, much depends on the music you play, and can be variable.

I usually use my monitoring to set the volume by ear. Don't look at level meters, because it doesn't always makes sense in music.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also when soundchecking (monitors or PA for a PA company), always use the loudest volume to set the levels.

Once we played before an other band. The mixer of the other band used our bands to levelling the PA. However, when they played they turned up the speakers resulting in lots of whistle tones (sorry don't know the English term for it). It's like the sound is going through the mics back to the speaker resulting in a very high and unpleasent almost single frequency tone.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

Once we played before an other band. The mixer of the other band used our bands to levelling the PA. However, when they played they turned up the speakers resulting in lots of whistle tones (sorry don't know the English term for it). It's like the sound is going through the mics back to the speaker resulting in a very high and unpleasent almost single frequency tone.

feedback?
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

feedback?

Thanks yes that was the word I was looking for.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
.Jens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: another question about live environment and levels Reply with quote

As others have already noted, question 2 is up to taste, depends on the context and so on. The only important thing is to give the sound guy the maximum expectable level during play, to allow for proper gain adjustment. This applies especially for digital mixing consoles.

herbsch wrote:

1.) Should I press or not the -20dB Button of my SM Audio Pro DI8E in conjunction with my Kronos?

Here, one could also lean back and say "It depends..." - which is true, but there are some valid statements that can help the decision.

First of all, ask the sound guy what level he expects (mic or line). In most cases, mic level is expected or at least accepted. You already provide mic level in 90% of the cases if you use a DI - but unfortunately I'm not sure with the DI8E.

Second: A first try should be made with the button unpressed (no -20dB pad). If the mixer guy tells you your signal is too "hot", press it. If you press it in advance (without being told), you unnecessarily lose signal-to-noise ratio.

The rest is just knowledge, which can help to find the best solution quicker during soundcheck.
- There are two "standards" for line levels: -10dBV and +4dBu (~ 1.8 dBV). The Kronos delivers +4dBu (the "hotter" one) max. - so expect to have higher levels than other keyboardists.
- Check if the DI8E can manage this high level on its inputs. If not, set the volume knob well below max.
- In general, it's better to have the highest possible level (but allowing a good amount of headroom) on every part of the signal chain. So it's better to pad near the end of the signal chain than on the beginnig - unless parts of the signal chain require lower levels.
- There's one big exception: Even if a mixing console is capable of handling high level line input, many sound techs will ask you to provide only mic level or slighty above at the stagebox. The reason is possible cross talk on (long) multicores, where very high line levels can interfere with very low mic levels.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: another question about live environment and levels Reply with quote

.Jens wrote:
As others have already noted, question 2 is up to taste, depends on the context and so on. The only important thing is to give the sound guy the maximum expectable level during play, to allow for proper gain adjustment. This applies especially for digital mixing consoles.

herbsch wrote:

Here, one could also lean back and say "It depends..." - which is true, but there are some valid statements that can help the decision.

First of all, ask the sound guy what level he expects (mic or line). In most cases, mic level is expected or at least accepted. You already provide mic level in 90% of the cases if you use a DI - but unfortunately I'm not sure with the DI8E.

Second: A first try should be made with the button unpressed (no -20dB pad). If the mixer guy tells you your signal is too "hot", press it. If you press it in advance (without being told), you unnecessarily lose signal-to-noise ratio.

The rest is just knowledge, which can help to find the best solution quicker during soundcheck.
- There are two "standards" for line levels: -10dBV and +4dBu (~ 1.8 dBV). The Kronos delivers +4dBu (the "hotter" one) max. - so expect to have higher levels than other keyboardists.
- Check if the DI8E can manage this high level on its inputs. If not, set the volume knob well below max.
- In general, it's better to have the highest possible level (but allowing a good amount of headroom) on every part of the signal chain. So it's better to pad near the end of the signal chain than on the beginnig - unless parts of the signal chain require lower levels.
- There's one big exception: Even if a mixing console is capable of handling high level line input, many sound techs will ask you to provide only mic level or slighty above at the stagebox. The reason is possible cross talk on (long) multicores, where very high line levels can interfere with very low mic levels.

Right on! Cheers on that post!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
herbsch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for sharing your know how.
Herbert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: