Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help with Korg Karma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imaginaerum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Need Help with Korg Karma Reply with quote

I spent a long time searching for a good keyboard, and the one i narrowed it to is the Korg KARMA.

However when I tried to buy one online, my family got upset, and they believe a keyboard that is from 2001 and 11 years old is a recipe for disaster. I want to know a couple things about it, and so do they:

------------- I need help with the following questions: ---------------------

1. If the KARMA has a problem/breaks, can it be repaired (like at a music store or whatever)

2. How long does a KARMA or any Korg keyboard usually last for if it is treated with delicate care?

3. My Brother believes I should ONLY get the latest model of any electronic instrument, however he doesn't know much about keyboards/synthesizers. Is he right in any way about this?

4. Is it more fragile than other keyboards?

Any help with this is INCREDIBLY appreciated!! I need feedback ASAP and I really thank you for any comments/ answers!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. They are are to come by, but if you can find a place that repairs keyboards then you shouldn't have an problem. I've had both keys and racks repaired numerous times, but I'm fortunate to have a good keyboard tech in the area.m
In some countries, your national Korg distributor may even service it (for a fee).

2. if treated with care they should last decades. Some of my favourite kit (that I've unfortunately sold on) is older than I am.

3. The latest technology offers serious advantages through the advancement of technology, and offer more up to date connections. For instance you can get on just fine with standard MIDI but newer keyboards will also have USB. Biggest problem with the KARMA may be the floppy drive, so a USB floppy drive for your computer, and some spare disks, would be a reasonable invesement.
More modern keyboards have entirely different sound engines (the mathematical algorithms and parameters that make up the sound). Sometimes older keyboards are more 'sought after' because people believe they have a 'better sound'. Indeed the Triton Series HI engine that Karma uses was very popular with many pro and other artists for almost a decade.
More modern keyboards offer more flexibility, features, and parameters, but many have remarked that they sound 'colder' and 'cleaner'. It's really down to personal taste, personally I prefer the sound of the newer ones because it is more flexible, I can still get close to the old Triton sound if I want to but also go in other directions too.

If you're after the particular feature-set of the Karma, then the only other options are the M3 or the Kronos. Both of which are considerably more expensive, but also offer more features like the newer cleaner more flexible sounds, sampling capability, more up to date connections.
In terms of the older Triton series, there are newer keyboards that are worse. So if you don't specifically want the KARMA technology, then a Triton Extreme or M50 (baby brother of the M3) would be another choice.

I spent months selling gear and saving to get the Karma. It is a great keyboard, but it has some surprising limitations (no sampling, floppy disk drive). But the features and sounds it does have are great.

4. Karma is reasonably well built. All keyboards should be treated with care, but it's certainly up to touring and being put in vans and all the rigours of Pro and semi-pro use. It is largely a metal casing, with plastic end pieces (keep in mind end pieces are designed to break to take the impact that would otherwise damage the keyboard, they are effectively crumple-zones). The only thing that you need to be careful with is the joystick. Find a decent flight case where you can construct a brace around the joystick, if you plan on touring or at least moving it a lot.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
emteazepu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Korg Karma Reply with quote

how to use .xall file in Korg Karma... plz anyone help me..
emteazepu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Korg Karma Reply with quote

emteazepu wrote:
how to use .xall file in Korg Karma... plz anyone help me..

drb32856

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with Korg Karma Reply with quote

imaginaerum wrote:
I spent a long time searching for a good keyboard, and the one i narrowed it to is the Korg KARMA.

However when I tried to buy one online, my family got upset, and they believe a keyboard that is from 2001 and 11 years old is a recipe for disaster. I want to know a couple things about it, and so do they:

------------- I need help with the following questions: ---------------------

1. If the KARMA has a problem/breaks, can it be repaired (like at a music store or whatever)

2. How long does a KARMA or any Korg keyboard usually last for if it is treated with delicate care?

3. My Brother believes I should ONLY get the latest model of any electronic instrument, however he doesn't know much about keyboards/synthesizers. Is he right in any way about this?

4. Is it more fragile than other keyboards?

Any help with this is INCREDIBLY appreciated!! I need feedback ASAP and I really thank you for any comments/ answers!

Hi, I can attest to the reliability of the Karma. I have had mine for over a decade and I have gigged with it almost non-stop during that time. It has yet to let me down in any condition. We play outside shows in the heat sometimes and I've had problems out of my Kronos a time or two but never the Karma. I think it was an under rated board but it is a great sounding instrument. If you can grab one in decent condition at a good price go for it.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a karma synth for 11 years.
I sold it regretably.
After about ten years i had the karma, the only problem i had was one of the pads kind of stuck.
I sprayed a little Deoxit D5 in the pad and it was good as new.
Karma is the first of its kind.
I would think it would also be collectable. Smile
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Karma since they first came out. It has played flawlessly with the exception of a broken wire to the joy stick. This is a weak area for the keyboard. I don't use it much anymore but wouldn't hesitate if my other options were not available. Remember to check the operation of the joystick and the floppy drive before you buy. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice nitecrawler. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: