Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about using combis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Question about using combis Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've been trying to get to grips with the mS for a few weeks now and i've really hit a block when it comes to combis.

I'd created a sequence using only a handful of programs, I had 10 empty sequencer tracks left. I needed a good electric guitar solo sound and had a look through the combis, found "Killer Guitar" and thought I'd be able to import it into my sequence. This is where I tried searching the pdfs on the mS install disk but unable to find the info I needed, the only work around for me was to check each component timbre for "Killer Guitar" and make a note of their settings to basically recreate the combi in my sequence.

Trouble is when I do this I can only play each component timbre not the combi. I've checked the video walkthrough but it doesn't really go deep enough to explain how to add combis to pre-existing sequences.

Am I missing something easy? Is there a better way to do this? Is it covered in one of the manuals and I'm unaware of it?

I'm aware of "auto song setup", i.e pick a combi or prog, then hit record, you get a new song loaded with said combi/prog, I just can't add a combi to a pre existing song.

Help!
Luther

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not completely sure what you say.

I am not sure, but perhaps this works:
save the sequence you made - including the manually added Killer Guitar - as a template.
That is: in sequence mode - Song Command > Save template.
Then create new song - Song Command > create new
And within that new song , do: Song command > Load that template
Now you can play timbres at the same time (i hope), and not only one timbre.

My M-Station is powered off now, but I think I had a similar problem and the above was the solution.

Your other problem - to import a combi in a sequence - search the manual and/or parameter guide for "copy combi" - there is a copy combi command (within Song Command within Sequencer mode) but I am not completely sure what the effect exactly is.

The first paragraph of page 50 in the Parameter Guide says:

(Quote) Copy Combi (Copy from Combination)
This command copies the parameters of the specified combination
to the setting data of the song that’s currently
selected.
Note: Only the timbres used by the combination will be copied.
Timbres in the combination whose “Status” is Off will
not be copied. If any timbres are set to Mute, the corresponding
tracks of the song will be set to a “Status” of Off. (unquote)

So perhaps you can copy a Combi to a New (empty) Song and then search for the timbres that have status "off" and add there your own things.
The work-method is then the other way around , compared to what you did.
Perhaps the command "copy track" is a command that is useful. Not sure if it copies the timbre of that track - not able to explore that now on the MS. I mean: if you can copy a Combi to the Sequence with "Copy Combi" and the status "off" timbres are not copied, then you can place/copy your own sounds to tracks that will not be overwritten when you import the Combi to the Song. I haven't tried this. Unforseen complications/problems might arise , for instance with the effects.

Not sure if there is enough polyphony to make every sound beautiful.

Hope this helps,
Greetings
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Question about using combis Reply with quote

"Copy from Combi" will override all the sounds and effects you have set up with the Combi sounds & effects you want to copy from. You most certainly want to avoid this if you have a handful of tracks already recorded.

"the only work around for me was to check each component timbre for "Killer Guitar" and make a note of their settings to basically recreate the combi in my sequence. Trouble is when I do this I can only play each component timbre not the combi"

What you want to do next here is use the editor in SEQ mode and go into "Track Param," then "MIDI/OSC." Set all the timbres that belong to the Combi to the same MIDI channel. When you select any of the parts that belong to the Combi using the number buttons, they should all trigger at once when you press the keyboard.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Desh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll give it a try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: