Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Controllers confirmed to work.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Novation Remote 49 works ok?? Reply with quote

Citizen Dan Player wrote:
correozalo wrote:
Hello. I need a keyboard midi controller 49 with aftertouch that work ok with conecting only usb. Novation Remote 49 work ok?
Who test anyother with aftertouch and usb only conect?
Thanks

I have the Novation MKII 61 key and have it connected via USB with no problem and aftertouch working, so the Remote 49 will likely work, too

My Novation X-station 61, which came before the Remote, worked with only a USB cable for power and MIDI.

If I were buying a new 49 key MIDI controller, though, I would get the Roland A500 pro, for its quality keybed with aftertouch. You can even program the pads to use polyphonic aftertouch. It says it is powered by USB, but you will probably still need to hook up a MIDI cable, since the A500 is not class compliant.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Novation Remote 49 works ok?? Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
If I were buying a new 49 key MIDI controller, though, I would get the Roland A500 pro, for its quality keybed with aftertouch. You can even program the pads to use polyphonic aftertouch. It says it is powered by USB, but you will probably still need to hook up a MIDI cable, since the A500 is not class compliant.

The Roland / Cakewalk A-300PRO works with a USB connection only for both power and MIDI (I think you just have to turn off the Advanced Driver Mode) and I'm sure the A-500PRO is the same...these Ax00-PROs are really nice controllers, and you can set up each knob/slider/switch to send out SYSEX messages to do almost anything (!)...

df
tatun2010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: KORG X50 works Reply with quote

I can confirm that Korg X50 works perfectly through USB connection. Yes, I know that X50 ins not a controller BUT if you have faulty midi sockets you can make it work via USB. Smile
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen Studiologic SL88 Studio mentioned.
I am hoping it will work as a bus-powered USB controller with my new Kronos2-61.
Anyone?
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Studiologic Acuna 73, and it is USB MIDI and bus-powered, even though it's not stated in the manual. The SL88 should also work this way as it is class compliant.

I can confirm that the Novation Remote series also works with one USB cable for both power and MIDI. What's more, it will merge bidirectional MIDI and route it over USB and both DIN MIDI OUTs. SYSEX transfer is supported this way as well. Its buttons, knobs, and faders support MIDI learn, and can be programmed with CC, SYSEX, and NRPN via its editor or directly on board. Basically, its MIDI and controller capabilities are the same as the X-station.

Both the Studiologic and Novation controllers can transmit over 4 different MIDI channels or zones, and have customizable velocity and after touch, making them very decent master keyboards to control Kronos combis.
jere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that Roland A-49 works. Just need to change the 'midi driver setting' in A-49 to generic mode: function -> ADV -> [ - ].
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: USB Controllers confirmed to work. Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Hi everyone.
It was suggested on the forum that it would be great to have a list of USB controllers that members of the forum are using with their KRONOS right.

So if you are using an external controller and it’s working with the KRONOS perfectly, please post your Make and Model number, plus any comments you would like to add about the Controller below.

I will review this thread on an ongoing basis and extract and add your make and model to the post below this so we can have a clean straight list.

Those wanting to know more can read the rest of the thread for your comments and feedback on the controller.

Please also note, just because a controller is not listed does not mean it does not work. Chances are the KRONOS will work with most controllers. This list and thread is only meant as a verification and a means for you to communicate with others who are using the controller your interested in.

Regards
Sharp.

Hi Sharp, may I ask why you wouldn't just use the Kronos as the controller? Pardon my naivety.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
may I ask why you wouldn't just use the Kronos as the controller? Pardon my naivety.

Here are a few I can think of

• Your Kronos has fully weighted keys and you'd like to add another keyboard that has lighter, synth-action keys to play fast synth runs
  • You might want a second keyboard to play one sound in a combi while leaving the full range of the Kronos keys for another sound
  • You want to add a pad controller for a more tactile way to play the chord pads and/or drum kits
  • You might want to add an external pattern sequencer
  • You might want to add a MIDI foot controller to make some live sound tweaks such as turning FX on or off while both hands are busy

There are surely more.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add that I use a Novation Remote Zero SL with my Kronos,the Kronos's onboard sets of controls are fine but they are limited in what you can assign to them in terms of Midi parameters.

You can't assign or create your own Midi Sysex messages/strings to the onboard Kronos controls so for me that is a limitation on its use and why I prefer to use an additional Midi/USB device with the Kronos.

Using the Novation I can assign a Midi sysex message to any of its controls and have far deeper realtime control over Kronos parameters and another reason why I use it is every controller on the Novation can be assigned to its own Midi channel or part so it allows manipulating multiple tracks/Devices from one panel which allows far more customisation over the Controls than Kronos allows from its onboard ones,Kronos tends to work in Blocks of predetermined controls like Pans/Volumes etc rather than making it total user customisable for each controller

its also not very visually appealing neither as there is no way to name the External Midi CC templates in global mode if you wish to make your own on the Kronos,using an external Device(Novation remote) allows naming on the LCD so you can see visually what it's controlling rather than trying to remember what each Midi CC number is assigned to what control on the Kronos external mode.

Korg should update the external control Mode to allow naming of the parameters rather than just assigning CC numbers and allow the ability to assign your own Midi sysex strings to the controls too.
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lightbringer - all those make sense. I appreciate your input

Kontrol49 - yep I totally get you. I had a Novation impulse. Was a bit finicky at times - would cut out and I'd have to re-automap. But you're right about the visual appeal over the Kronos. Rather than going the 100% controller way, I'm thinking I'll just get a Roland FP30 (easier to carry around than the Korg) which can act as a minimalist controller but the plus for me is that it has a good piano feel and can be a standalone keyboard.

So many setups!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have tried what feels like everything under the sun in this space of adding hardware control to synth parameters. Automap, Akai VIP, various MIDI controllers. I guess the best has been in Eurorack, where you can pretty much get "one dedicated knob per function" if you choose your modules to fit that schema. But it can get very expensive in terms of both cost and space. Imagine one knob per function on the Kronos. The control panel would fill a tour bus and cost more than one. Smile

I'm pretty satisfied with the way Korg has this set up in the Kronos. The tone adjust surface seems to have a lot of sensible/common things mapped to it. And for the ones that aren't, yes, it can be a few taps to get to them. But once you select them I like the fact that there are quite a few ways to change the param (value slider, inc/dec, rotary encoder, numeric entry, directly on the touch display). I guess I think of the con of having to make 2-3 taps to get to a parameter somewhat balanced by the fact that there's a lot of other contextual information on the screen when you get there.

Still, might be something to look at. Good to know that's an option!
juliana.pfranca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Alesis QX49 that works perfectly with Kronos USB only. But I tested a Alesis V25, that is class compliant too, and in the moment I plug it in the Kronos´USB port Kronos freezes (stop making sounds, the display freezes and i can´t change anything like from prog to comb)... I tested the Alesis in the computer (Windows) and Iphone and it works ok... just have problems with Kronos...
Someone tried it?
studio429

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my Roland AX7 and Alesis Vortex work well with both of my Kronos'.

One of the top UK female fronted rock / pop covers bands

Kronos 88 / Kronos 73
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: