Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXB-PCM05 or EXB-MOSS for analog sounds ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

EXB-PCM05 or EXB-MOSS for analog sounds ?
EXB-PCM05
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
EXB-MOSS
89%
 89%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 19

chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: EXB-PCM05 or EXB-MOSS for analog sounds ? Reply with quote

What's your advice/experience about EXB-PCM05 or EXB-MOSS with analog sounds (deep pads, Moog/OB-like basses...).
Which expansion board do you think really fits this use Question
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chosed the MOSS even if I have no experience with the other exb: rememember that you can use scsi to use samples but you can't use your EXB05 to create sounds like on the MOSS.
regards, Lorenzo
marcdeben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
I have both and use the Moss board much more the 05. The 05 is ok imo but not great. Moss is awesome! I would sell it if Korg comes up with a better board or a new type of synth board.
Get the Moss Chris you will be much happier.
Marc
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. I like the Moss alot.

You will get some Moog type basses with it.

But as far as getting the Moog character (filters, etc) and the various Moog sounds, I haven't heard
anything via samples that covers it.

There is a lot of enthusiasm over the Antares Moog
soft synth. But I am getting off topic, LOL, Never happens here.
McHale

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. MOSS is a machine. It's powers are limitless. There's tons of patches to download for free for it. It's quite powerful.

2. The EXB's cram too many samples into very little ROM so it's not like they will ever be huge and real high quality individual samples. There's not much creative you can do with them other than just use them.

3. YOU OWN A SAMPLER. Go to www.analoguesamples.com and www.hollowsun.com and you will probably be able to download, for free, Akai samples of every majoy analog synth ever made. Converting the Akai S5000/S6000 sample sets are a breeze as they are .wav files. I use Awave to convert the entire sample set to Triton sample set and it takes about 30 seconds. Not bad...

Conclusion: Buy the MOSS, forget about EXB's, and download samples for free for anything else you need.

-Mc
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
I still have my MOSS installed in my Karma. I NEVER use it, well for Erics Mosster patches, but that's it!
I had the wrong expectations for this board, I thought I'd get killer basses, they're ok, but not killer! I thought I'd get rich, warm, lush pads, they're ok, but not killer! I thought the EP's would be great, they're not, I'll stop here, you get my drift.
I don't need anything else to tweak, or spend time editing, with all else that is going on, Karma, and MW, Motif ES, MIDI sequencing, full time job, wife, grandkids, band rehearsals....etc, etc, NO time for that, so it's not at all what I was looking for. I have downloaded some files here, and they are good, but sifting through them is too time consuming. I have 3 workstations with hundred upon hundreds of sounds, so it seems like I spend an awfull lot of time searching through them any time I want to compose something.
Don't really need any more of that kind of time consumption going on.
What do you guys and gals use MOSS for? How does someone get the most out of this board? do you spend hours editing, and tweaking?
I currently have some downloaded patches in my MOSS bank, that have some good sounding patches, but 6 note polyphony??? YUK!
Please, I don't mean to be offensive, I just don't get it I guess. Rolling Eyes

Stephen
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Moss for leads, organ and some acoustic sounds: but I have to admit that I spent a few hours to program the patches I need. I was not satisfated by presets sounds but the capabilities of Moss are illimitated.
and after all if I have a sound that I like from the Moss I sampled it and use it with the sampler of the triton (I do this for some organ sounds)
regards, Lorenzo
McHale

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MOSS for leads, EP, and organs. 6 note poly isn't great, but analog synths didn't have that.

With the Triton NOT being able to stack 8 voices for a mono patch like the DW-8000 could, MOSS is the next best thing. The Triton without moss is VERY thin in the lead department.

I dunno. It's a whole different dimension in sounds. When you get sick of PCM, MOSS is always there for something different.

It's hard to explain for those who haven't played with it at all and more difficult to explain to those that don't "get it." A good friend of mine borrowed my Triton and I told him all about how great the patches were in the MOSS bank, and when he gave it back, he just didn't get it. He couldn't hear the depth I was trying to explain.

I would pick it up again in a second if I had to replace mine for any reason. I can't say that about any other expansion boards (well, except scsi of course).

-Mc
Montana25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the MOSS over the EXB-5.

The MOSS can do some things well, but it sucks for others. I actually bought a K-station because the MOSS could not do analog leads well IMHO.

Where the MOSS excells is EP's , glorious synth strings, weird noises,percussive rythms, moog basses (see nightshadows pcg set), cool stabs, nice pads. The best pad I ever heard *period* was created on my MOSS. It sounds like a Jupiter 8.

If you only want good analog leads,dont get the Moss. But if you like those other things I mentioned, go for it.

Also, IMHO the moss has "false" voice stacking. It doesn't really work. Adding volume is not voice stacking.
Montana25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the MOSS over the EXB-5.

The MOSS can do some things well, but it sucks for others. I actually bought a K-station because the MOSS could not do analog leads well IMHO.

Where the MOSS excells is EP's , glorious synth strings, weird noises,percussive rythms, moog basses (see nightshadows pcg set), cool stabs, nice pads. The best pad I ever heard *period* was created on my MOSS. It sounds like a Jupiter 8.

If you only want good analog leads,dont get the Moss. But if you like those other things I mentioned, go for it.

Also, IMHO the moss has "false" voice stacking. It doesn't really work. Adding volume is not voice stacking.
chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for your good advices... quite hard to choose.
Indeed, I also heard that people don't like the preset sounds that much but there are some sounds (like the Z1 and other patches available for download) that are very good in analog sounds.

But in terms of polyphony, would the EXB-PCM05 not be better than the MOSS... can you really play a song with analog pads and deep basses at the same time. Very Happy

Regards, Wink
Chris
McHale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends, are you now saying you'd rather have polyphony instead of sound or quality? If that's the case, save the money and don't get either. You can get some great analog sounding leads using the stock waveforms.

Simply put, EXB-05 is just more samples. MOSS gives you a whole new type of synthesis.
Mastermalleus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what can I say to top all the things already been said?
I can agree that the 6 note polyphony is somewhat limiting sometimes, but it doesn´t really bother me much. I´d go for the Moss anytime.
I really love to program this beast - the modulation OSC:s and the Resonance is brilliant. Allthough it could be hard to imagine the sound you can get out of programming it, the result is almost always breathtakingly fantastic... I´m fully satisfied with the EXB-moss and, like others, I wish that Korg made an update to this beautiful thing!
So, I guess that you all have figured out what I voted for... Wink

Best regards,
Richard Rose
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will say this and that, but I use both and like both. PCM05 sounds great especially if you do some custom work with it. MOSS is incredible. Great filters, great for analog sounds. No big deal about the polyphony, most analogs don't have that great polyphony anyway. I would get both if you could. 05 is a good one. Most of the pcm boards in my opinion are nice. If you can get both eventually get them both. First get MOSS then fill those pcm slots.

I didn't post on the poll, there isn't a option for "if possible both".
chris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great contributions to this poll.

It looks then to conclude that the MOSS better fits analog sounds.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Chris Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: