Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Kronos Reliable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hexfix93

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Is the Kronos Reliable? Reply with quote

Or do they break down and malfunction a bunch?
AMR

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Kronos Reliable? Reply with quote

Hexfix93 wrote:
Or do they break down and malfunction a bunch?

They're still buggy here and there (usually to be expected in new complex gear), nothing fatally serious, just annoying.

Reliable is therefore temporarily dependent on which side of the annoyed equation you stand on although they do not break down or malfunction as far as I've heard.

Kind Regards,
AMR
http://www.alvaromrocha.com
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ferrari forum,
Is it true that the Aventador is a better car ?

Dear Honda forum,
I hear the CB600 is shite, should I buy a Kawasaki instead ?

Dear Korg forum,
I presume the Kronos sells so well because it breaks down all the time and is very unreliable when used. Should I buy a Yamarol instead ?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dragged my Kronos about 50-100 times now from/to rehearsal rooms and home, and never had any problem with it.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I dragged my Kronos about 50-100 times now from/to rehearsal rooms and home, and never had any problem with it.

It must be getting pretty scratched up, though . . .
cobray

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine three months now. On and off three times a day. Just once it wouldn't boot indicating an error of some sort. I turned it off, then back on and it has worked fine ever since.
fingerpianist

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've bought mine for theatre work primarily, and the thought of taking it on the road is a worry- especially in a Corsa!

There was a thread on here recently about power and surge protection. Do any of you regular on-the-road users have advice about UPS and clean power? I definitely can't wait 2 minutes for a boot-up, so I thought a minimum would be a small home PC UPS device.

Ken:)
Semi-retired, semi-pro pit band musician and jobbing pianist and MD. Oops, protocol suggests I should put a list. Recently deceased: Roland A90, Wirth grand piano, Roland SD300, Lowrey portable organ. Current: Yamaha upright, Korg Kronos 73, Korg N364, Juno 60 and other pretty things.
DocBambs

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingerpianist wrote:
Yeah, I've bought mine for theatre work primarily, and the thought of taking it on the road is a worry- especially in Corsa

Ken:)

As you are in London I assumed that you would use the Tube each day travelling into the West End!

DB
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Kronos can be reliable... Reply with quote

After months of being unable to play correctly (RH3 issue), and after returning one because it booted depending on its mood (System Failure error), I have at last a reliable Kronos, at least for one month Rolling Eyes

So you can get a reliable Kronos (many members have one), but sometimes (check this forum for a definition of "sometimes") you may have a "bad luck".
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos can be reliable... Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:

So you can get a reliable Kronos (many members have one), but sometimes (check this forum for a definition of "sometimes") you may have a "bad luck".

And the same could be said for, well, every single retail product known to man kind!

I think the vast majority of Kronos owners have zero reliability problems. And then, NATURALLY, some small segment of people have an issue or two. This is why they make warranty's and customer support....of which Korg's is excellent.

I have had no issues whatsoever with my Kronos. And I was a very early adopter...one of the first 200 units (K61).
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos can be reliable... Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
MarPabl wrote:

And the same could be said for, well, every single retail product known to man kind!

I think the vast majority of Kronos owners have zero reliability problems. And then, NATURALLY, some small segment of people have an issue or two. This is why they make warranty's and customer support....of which Korg's is excellent.

Agree! The fact being discussed here is the size of the "small segment", because analyzing this forum, there are many many reported issues. Something I don't recall for other Korg's workstations.

And of course, there are quite many regrettable issues that Korg has solved and indeed is still solving, but every single one can be found here and therefore we often find threads like this, from prospective buyers asking if Kronos is indeed reliable. Those issues have hugely discredited Kronos.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos can be reliable... Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:
RonF wrote:
MarPabl wrote:

Agree! The fact being discussed here is the size of the "small segment", because analyzing this forum, there are many many reported issues. Something I don't recall for other Korg's workstations.

And of course, there are quite many regrettable issues that Korg has solved and indeed is still solving, but every single one can be found here and therefore we often find threads like this, from prospective buyers asking if Kronos is indeed reliable. Those issues have hugely discredited Kronos.

Since internet is now much more popular than 5, 10 or 15 years ago, every problem is now discussed in detail here, while in history they contacted Korg directly.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos can be reliable... Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:
RonF wrote:
MarPabl wrote:

Early adopters tend to realize early issues. Its a fact of life. Forums tend to be where people go when they have problems. People who have no problems may *never* seek out the forums. So the sampling and ratios of problems makes for a less than fair "test" selection. To say that its "discredited" the Kronos...is your opinion. Which, of course, is why you are seeking input through this thread....which is totally understandable and cool. However.....in MY opinion...you should just buy a Kronos. It is a marvel. You are unlikely to have any problems. And if by rare chance you do....then Korg will fix them. You are buying not only a keyboard, but a warranty and customer support from an internationally recognized company. What ever the chances may be of a problem....its worth it to ultimately end up with a Kronos. Its one of the most impressive synthesizer instruments in history to date.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
fingerpianist

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are in London I assumed that you would use the Tube each day travelling into the West End!

DB[/quote]

Well, Doc, I've done one West End theatre gig and 2 BBC, and in both cases I had all the hassle of parking and unloading my own gear. I remember when I was a teacher I used to get one pupil and his double bass into a Mini. Smile

I knew someone who used to take a harp on the tube (orchestral, not blues!)

These days I play mostly West London amdram, plus piano work. My next gig sees the debut of my Kronos on the road, with a big band for my own society's show, The Wedding Singer.
http://www.glocmt.org.uk/
Semi-retired, semi-pro pit band musician and jobbing pianist and MD. Oops, protocol suggests I should put a list. Recently deceased: Roland A90, Wirth grand piano, Roland SD300, Lowrey portable organ. Current: Yamaha upright, Korg Kronos 73, Korg N364, Juno 60 and other pretty things.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Kronos 73 back in early September and I have had no problems whatsoever except when I myself have done stupid things with programming but I have always managed to get it back to the way I want it.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: