Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard Wishlist - How far away are we?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montequi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Keyboard Wishlist - How far away are we? Reply with quote

I'd like to see a FULL Physical Modelling synth. That includes not only a virtual analog synth (like the MicroKorg), but what about all physical modeled instruments (piano, reed, wind, string, organ, guitar, etc..) instead of samples. I know Yamaha tried years ago, but technology is progressed tremendously since. Roland has a physically modeled piano (V-Piano), and there are physically modeled clonewheel organs as well. How far away are we from that?

Also, what about a keyboard interface like the Ondes Martenot that support finger vibrato from the keys and has a finger-ring on a pulley that supports bending of notes across the full keyboard. That should be doable TODAY, but I haven't seen any major keyboard manufacturer take that on. I think it would be groundbreaking!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Kronos is well on its way. It has several modeled engines, and my perception is that Korg will expand these by either improving and/or add new modeled engines. It probably will be added in Kronos 2, 3 etc.

About the interface: very interesting; never new it existed.
I once heard a Theremin (in real life) but was not really that convinced; this seems a lot more interesting.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is definitely on the right track. I wouldn't want to give up the sampling option, but I definitely want to see more physical modelling on it, including more synths and some modeled effects as well. Hopefully we'll see some of the expansions on this unit and not in the next generation.

The Ondes Martenot was indeed a very interesting instrument. I think the larger ribbon controllers are the closest thing to it, and you don't have to worry about moving the ring around to hit the next note. Theremins are much harder to play a melody on because you have to rely on your ear to know what pitch your hand is playing. You even have to control your breathing to a point so you don't move your hand when you shouldn't. Check out the Continuum (not sure if I spelled that right). You can play full chords on that instrument. It's like a ribbon with X, Y and Z parameters.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="phattbuzz"]The Kronos is definitely on the right track. I wouldn't want to give up the sampling option, but I definitely want to see more physical modelling on it, including more synths and some modeled effects as well. Hopefully we'll see some of the expansions on this unit and not in the next generation.

quote]

I'm almost sure Korg will continue its way of extending/improving physical modeling engines. Why would they call all engines XXX-1 ... I expect a 2, 3 etc in time. However probably it will not be in Kronos but in Kronos 2, 3, etc Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the crucial missing piece for modelling synths is an easy to use programming interface; for a modeled instrument that may mean that it's less model-able because the complexities ontop of physical properties on top of variations may well lead to the elusive "infinite variety" that synth makers have been touting for so long... And infinity includes a lot of garbage as well as masterpieces.

How do you (as a manufacturer/designer) ensure that the results are musical while satisfying the desire for something unique (as a user) beyond presets given an instrument that is so complex that not many can do even simple tweaks with predictable results?

You sited Yamaha's previous efforts in the field and they may still have reed and brass modeling covered (patented like FM was?) but the thing I recall most about that, and for that matter Formant synthesis and to a certain extent Kawai's additive engines was that they were dubbed "unusable" for the average player and either ignored or actively derided.

I've already seen posts about how "disappointing" the modeled strings are on the Kronos. It would seem a shame to rush to all modeled synthesis before ther was a very well thought out way to make the instruments user friendly.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
ravenmek

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could, for example, have 2 user interfaces. One for musical, simple, "beginner" modifications to a sound, and one with the complete engine. In that way, you could just chose a preset of the "professional" programming, and modify it with the reduced interface.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravenmek wrote:
you could, for example, have 2 user interfaces. One for musical, simple, "beginner" modifications to a sound, and one with the complete engine. In that way, you could just chose a preset of the "professional" programming, and modify it with the reduced interface.

This will add quite to the cost of developing a user interface I'm afraid. It's not that it can be spread among millions of users. Let's say it costs e.g. 400 manhours to create a simpler user interface. With testing/overhead this costs about 400 x 50$ (very cheap salary) = $20000. For 10K of sold Kronosses it would cost thus $20 ... I wonder if people would spend this money, assuming most who can afford it are enthousiasts and (semi) professionals.

Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
ravenmek wrote:

This will add quite to the cost of developing a user interface I'm afraid..

Really???

Korg already use a simple method to edit Program parameters on there workstations,and these have been in place at least since the days of the 01W employing slider edits from the LCD to basic sound parameters so why would it cost $xxxx to develop whats already there???most of the knobs are usually hardwired to certain basics of the Filter or amp eg anyway on recent workstations,and the Triton had at least several Front page sound shaping sliders on screen so Korg have no R+D costs as it already exists,they already use a seperate buffer for these,or you can choose to go into full edit mode for access to every other parameter,so what cost would it be for a few pages of text to access basic sound shaping tools seperate from full edit mode???

Roland already use this type of interface on their synths/Workstations,but it goes a bit beyond the front page sliders method you can use a basic set of parameters to access things like the ADSR of the filter or amp and edit with minimal sound shaping tools in your chosen sound so you don't need to be an experienced programmer,the V synth certainly have seperate sound shaper systems for experienced or novice programmers so to does the fantom G,this should be a basic commodity on any pro end synth

Certainly with Roland For those that are experienced you can switch to "pro edit" for access to every parameter,don't see why it would cost so much more to include a similar commodity like this on an entry level Price of what the Kronos costs.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
ravenmek wrote:

This will add quite to the cost of developing a user interface I'm afraid..

Really???

Korg already use a simple method to edit Program parameters on there workstations,and these have been in place at least since the days of the 01W employing slider edits from the LCD to basic sound parameters so why would it cost $xxxx to develop whats already there???most of the knobs are usually hardwired to certain basics of the Filter or amp eg anyway on recent workstations,and the Triton had at least several Front page sound shaping sliders on screen so Korg have no R+D costs as it already exists,they already use a seperate buffer for these,or you can choose to go into full edit mode for access to every other parameter,so what cost would it be for a few pages of text to access basic sound shaping tools seperate from full edit mode???

Roland already use this type of interface on their synths/Workstations,but it goes a bit beyond the front page sliders method you can use a basic set of parameters to access things like the ADSR of the filter or amp and edit with minimal sound shaping tools in your chosen sound so you don't need to be an experienced programmer,the V synth certainly have seperate sound shaper systems for experienced or novice programmers so to does the fantom G,this should be a basic commodity on any pro end synth

Certainly with Roland For those that are experienced you can switch to "pro edit" for access to every parameter,don't see why it would cost so much more to include a similar commodity like this on an entry level Price of what the Kronos costs.

I don't know much about Roland so I cannot really compare with that.

The problem is not in adding extra features, but adding software to differ between two modes. A lot of screen have to be changed/created or show information depending on the mode (novice/expert for example).

Since everything need to be tested (either by manually testing or creating unittests), so this also add to the cost. And not to forget, every future screen change need to be done twice, one for the expert mode and (optionally) for the the novice mode.

I'm not saying it's a difficult job, but in software everything costs time, thus money.

(example: the company I work for, it CAN cost $100K to fix a copy/paste error).

ravenmek

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Computer Engineering student, so believe me, I know that designing and coding is not cheap and it's not simple. But is money well spended. Interface is really important for a software implementation, so, it could make it a successful one or a totally shitty program. And, as those parameters that are in the "novice" page are, almost all, surely part of the "advanced" interface, it will be almost a "mask", something hiding the big interface and using macro controllers. It wouldn't be a different interface completely, and it wouldn't take too much time in coding (it could, however, take a lot of time in the design phase). But it could well be a selling point, and an interesting one, in fact.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravenmek wrote:
I was a Computer Engineering student, so believe me, I know that designing and coding is not cheap and it's not simple. But is money well spended. Interface is really important for a software implementation, so, it could make it a successful one or a totally shitty program. And, as those parameters that are in the "novice" page are, almost all, surely part of the "advanced" interface, it will be almost a "mask", something hiding the big interface and using macro controllers. It wouldn't be a different interface completely, and it wouldn't take too much time in coding (it could, however, take a lot of time in the design phase). But it could well be a selling point, and an interesting one, in fact.

If it is just hiding some parameters here and there then it's easy. I thought screens for novice should be rearranged so there were less number of screens containing only the more important parameters or even parameters that have 'combined values', i.e. instead of having 5 parameters, a combined 1 parameter for novice usage. However, if hiding is enough you end up with lots of screens which contains lots of gaps.

ravenmek

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing you are describing is exactly what I was talking about, and that's not difficult to do at all. In fact, many software implementations use "interface wizards", simplifing the thing even more. It could, on the other hand, has a lot of development in the designing phase, because you have to choose what parameter will be in the novice interface, and how to group them for them to be easy to understand.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravenmek wrote:
The thing you are describing is exactly what I was talking about, and that's not difficult to do at all. In fact, many software implementations use "interface wizards", simplifing the thing even more. It could, on the other hand, has a lot of development in the designing phase, because you have to choose what parameter will be in the novice interface, and how to group them for them to be easy to understand.

As long as it only involves hiding or maybe repositioning widgets in the same screen it is also not much development time. Combining multiple screens needs a bit more development time.

Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard Wishlist - How far away are we? Reply with quote

montequi wrote:
That should be doable TODAY, but I haven't seen any major keyboard manufacturer take that on. I think it would be groundbreaking!

That would have been doable a few years ago. Major synth manufacturers are not interested in such an instrument because the market is so small. In contrast, the guitar/bass/drum markets have been growing. For the majority of people, it's uncool and unhip to play keys. Sad but true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: