Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton RACK vs. M3R vs. 05R/W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcniest5

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Triton RACK vs. M3R vs. 05R/W Reply with quote

Hi, I'm shopping for a used professional grade sound for my own home recording studio and I'm torn between these three. Which one sounds the best, is the newest and offers the most bang for the bucks?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JC
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton is the newest from the set.

05R/W and M3R (not to be confused with the newer 'M3' and 'M3M' which is available in module form but tabletop and not Rack) are based on I think 2nd gen technology from the old M1, with AI2 synthesis.

I'm not intimately familiar with anything pre-triton although some have said that the older synths do have a nice warm fat sound. The Tritin is kinda thinner but has considerably better samples for real sounds. However, piano for example isn't strong in the Triton and also the filters are, well, a bit weird. Certainly have a unique character!
The Triton series has been an immensely popular sound engine though with a number of sample-based expansion boards available, as well as the MOSS synthesizer (taken from the Z1).
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jcniest5

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think a 05R/W at $139.00 is still a good buy? How would you compare the M3R against the 05R/W? Comparable? One is better than other?

Thanks for your advice...
jcniest5

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or what about a X5DR? The deal on 05R/W went sour.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

05/X5 are both quite a bit more recent than the M3R, the main difference being the sample set implemented in ROM (there are others, but probably not very significant to elaborate - maybe apart from polyphony). 05R/W is somewhat better than the X5DR (but at least one person out there will tell you otherwise, so you'll be the judge). The price you've quoted looks reasonable, but not a particularly good price. Triton is far better with a much wider range of possibilities, but you really have to listen to the sound to decide for yourself.

BTW: X-Trade quoted piano on the Triton, well, a realistic piano is not something to expect from these machines, even though the Triton will give you a lot of options circumventing this problem, if that's the sound you're after (e.g. with the excellent EXB expansion boards).
jcniest5

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so mad because I received the 05R/W and it outputs no sound from any of the ports on the back. The screen/LED readout displays 00:InitCombi0 and I can scroll through the whole sound bank, only the last digit (a zero) change from 0, 1, 2, etc... depends on which 00 number I'm on. The COMBI screen has no sound name, only the 00:InitCombi thing. I contacted the seller and I'm sending the unit back. He said he tested it and it worked. There is no physical damage so I don't know what to believe now. But he is refunding the price I paid for it, excluding shipping, which means I wasted about $30 paying for shipping from him to me and shipping the unit back. ARRGG!!!
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcniest5 wrote:
I'm so mad because I received the 05R/W and it outputs no sound from any of the ports on the back. The screen/LED readout displays 00:InitCombi0 and I can scroll through the whole sound bank, only the last digit (a zero) change from 0, 1, 2, etc... depends on which 00 number I'm on. The COMBI screen has no sound name, only the 00:InitCombi thing. I contacted the seller and I'm sending the unit back. He said he tested it and it worked. There is no physical damage so I don't know what to believe now. But he is refunding the price I paid for it, excluding shipping, which means I wasted about $30 paying for shipping from him to me and shipping the unit back. ARRGG!!!

Don't send it back just yet! It might be the battery going flat - so change the battery (takes disassembly of the unit) and do a factory reset, which should restore all factory sounds. If it keeps mute after these, then you're probably better off shipping it back. BTW: you can do a factory reset without replacing the battery and that should restore sounds - only thing is that you'll loose the settings when switching the unit off.

http://www.synthmania.com/05r_w.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page)
http://www.korgcanada.com/eng/support/pdfs/X3_X5O5RW.pdf
jcniest5

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthjoe wrote:
jcniest5 wrote:

Don't send it back just yet! It might be the battery going flat - so change the battery (takes disassembly of the unit) and do a factory reset, which should restore all factory sounds. If it keeps mute after these, then you're probably better off shipping it back. BTW: you can do a factory reset without replacing the battery and that should restore sounds - only thing is that you'll loose the settings when switching the unit off.

http://www.synthmania.com/05r_w.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page)
http://www.korgcanada.com/eng/support/pdfs/X3_X5O5RW.pdf

Hey, thanks! I got the sound back! But the sound name still remains InitCombi. Also the resetting instructions of the link doesn't work for me. On page 05A, under Global Multi, there is DATA RESET. It's completely different. I reseted it by taking out the battery for about 30 seconds. Can I get the sound names back by taking out the battery for longer?
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcniest5 wrote:
Can I get the sound names back by taking out the battery for longer?

No, the factory reset procedure should do. It is strange that the menu looks different, did you follow the procedures closely (try to find 'Pre-A All' instead of, or within DATA RESET, etc.), are we talking of the same model (05R/W)? If not, google up the factory reset procedure for your specific model. If nothing works, you might have to download a 'default settings MIDI SYSEX' file and send it from your computer to the module. That should work, for sure - getting the names and programs back to the factory settings is designed to work, so you might have a faulty unit, if it doesn't. But you really have to follow reset procedures very closely, very carefully - maybe find a better document than I've sent the links to, perhaps look up the full user manual or other pages!

Hope this helps!
jcniest5

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got it to work. I have to press Global Multi twice to enter the correct menu. Now everything is working as expected. Thanks for the advice! Much, much appreciated. Now I will go and enjoy my sound module.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked - enjoy the ride! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: