Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnroney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, one thing that might solve the problem would be getting a MIDI to USB adaptor so that all your hardware is connected and operating together with standard MIDI cords, then just route the MS MIDI OUT into the adaptor to control your computer software.

again... really?

it's great that you respond to my queries here... so thanks, but i'm much further down the rabbit hole here than you it seems - a usb/midi adaptor? yeah, i have like 20 of them kicking around.... if you read the post again, you'll see that's not the issue. (and please don't solicit amazon.com !)...
the thing is, i DON'T want to use the MS keybed as my main controller... that's the issue. it should (according to the editor's parameters) accept midi channel and be able to reroute this to midi external...
if it were working in this manner, the MS would truly have comprehensive midi routing features, and i could use any external controller as i wanted (88 notes) - and, use it to channel thru to external gear - you know, like a 'WORKSTATION! ! ! ! hahahah
my needs here are a little more subtle and specific than buying another usb/midi interface...
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

johnroney wrote:
yeah, i have like 20 of them kicking around.... if you read the post again, you'll see that's not the issue. (and please don't solicit amazon.com !)...

Have you tried actually using them? I'm not trying to solicit Amazon, just showing you the right tool that might solve the issue. And I understand the issue, the chain you have set up is the following:

The MIDI controller MIDI OUT to microSTATION MIDI IN, then microSTATION USB port (acting as MIDI OUT) to computer.

I was trying to do the same thing with the scenario I described using Ableton, only sending the data in reverse. And the problem is that MIDI and USB don't work simultaneously. Now that I'm home from work, I've literally chained some of my gear together using standard MIDI cords as following:

R3 MIDI OUT > MS MIDI IN
MS MIDI OUT > SH-201 MIDI IN

And guess what? It transmits data just fine. Notes I play from the R3 get routed through the MS and into the SH-201 when all three devices were set to the right MIDI channel. So again, using a MIDI to USB adapter from the MS to your PC would fix the problem.

You know, you came to this forum posting a question. No need to get snide about people trying to help you because you can't solve something yourself.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
johnroney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

once again, (but a different tone)...
really?? ?
awesome for you, but i have tried every permutation of this, and i could not get it to work?
now i'm really perplexed...

so, just to be sure...
you have an R3 (like my controller)...on channel 1 (let's say)
you MIDI this IN to the MS (duh)
you route the MIDI of the MS for channel 1 (how exactly in your setup? ... i've been through this tons of times, but i could very well be missing something here...)
you MIDI OUT to the SH101 (or whatever - let's call this 'DEST'ination)

[R3] out>>>in [MS] (settings?! maybe global?) out>>>in [DEST]

and, you play notes on the R3 and they sound NOT on the MS but on the DEST keyboard/soundcard?

whew... this is what i have been trying now for days, and had no luck. the midi OUT works fine from the MS, but ONLY if you play the MS keys.
strange....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: