Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advanced MIDI functions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnroney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: advanced MIDI functions? Reply with quote

hello. let me present myself as a now 'power-user' with the microstation. i have been all through this thing, and the manual several times. making programs, creating combis, sequencing, etc. everything cool...

now, one more thing that it doesn't mention anywhere...
on the combi page - on the timbre/parameter page - midi/osc... this is where the question arises...

MIDI - STATUS : OFF/INT/EXT/EXT2 -

off is obvious
INT is the internal sound engine.
EXT - would make me believe that it routes to midi OUT?
EXT 2 - ??? USB ??? what is this?

actually, i have toyed around with this thing, and i have not been able to get something to work:

i want to be able to plug a CONTROLLER (let's say any old midi controller) into the MIDI IN port (easy... plays the internal sounds based on the midi channel selected) - BUT... i want to reroute this message to send to USB, to control software...
in fact, it would never take an external message of any kind, and be able to transmit this via midi out - regardless of the EXT settings... ??? so, is this ONLY for LOCAL (global channel)?
strange.

i travel alot with this thing, and i have got it organized now to be my soundsource (after literally MONTHS of tweaking! ! ! - editor needs some UPGRADE, korg...!!!!) - the backline rents a controller, and BOOM, i have a 2-keyboard setup with 1 midi cable, and tons of sounds.

so, now - how to direct INcoming MIDI to USB ? or even to MIDI out for that matter - it never has worked for me...
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI status EXT disables the internal sound engine for that specific channel. EXT2 is the same, but using the editor, it lets you input specific patch change numbers. You'll notice that on the synth screen, you'll see a weird set of numbers instead of the usual patch name.

I've had a similiar problem trying to using both MIDI and USB at the same time. The situation was that I had 16 MIDI tracks recorded in Ableton to send to the microSTATION while in SEQ Mode, but two of these channels were set up to trigger my Korg R3 via MIDI OUT from the microSTATION. When I pressed play on Ableton, it didn't trigger the notes on my R3, but after I recorded all the notes into the microSTATION's sequencer and played it back, it did. It was a bit confusing, but I'm guessing the issue is that a track can't operate on USB and MIDI at the same time. It's possible that one temporarily disables the other.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
johnroney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

Quote:
MIDI status EXT disables the internal sound engine for that specific channel. EXT2 is the same, but using the editor, it lets you input specific patch change numbers. You'll notice that on the synth screen, you'll see a weird set of numbers instead of the usual patch name

the 'weird set of numbers' on the 'synth screen' - so, the xxx/xxx numbers (which are typical MSB LSB patch/bank information) happen to appear on the LCD read-out on the microstation itself... yeah...ok, doesn't mean anything - in fact, it further backs up my query that this SHOULD work... it SHOULD be able to send to external midi out... any why 2 choices for EXT?
what are the 2 choices - we're led to believe that they can be operated simultaneously because the editor allows for mapping of them independantly per channel...

your story about ableton is rather odd, because i don't know that there is a way in fact to tell the sequencer to DIVIDE midi INs while recording... so, no, it probably would behave this way...
HOWEVER, in COMBI mode, the editor DOES allow for independant mapping of EXT - 1/2, and even offers the MSB LSB numbers! ! !

WTF!?
strange.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: really? Reply with quote

Yeah, the two choices for EXT is odd. I'm aware of the MSB/LSB numbers as I actually use them for multi-timbre changes on my R3.

"i don't know that there is a way in fact to tell the sequencer to DIVIDE midi INs while recording"

It wasn't an issue with MIDI coming in, it was MIDI going out. In theory, Ableton triggering the MS should also trigger the R3 since I had two tracks on the MS set to EX2, but it didn't. Now that I remember it, my SH-201 states in the manual that USB and MIDI can't be used together, but I haven't found this anywhere in the MS manual.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, one thing that might solve the problem would be getting a MIDI to USB adaptor so that all your hardware is connected and operating together with standard MIDI cords, then just route the MS MIDI OUT into the adaptor to control your computer software.

Amazon has them cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard-Window/dp/B0017H4EBG
stray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the exact same problem.. is there any solution?

trying to run a midi foot pedal, into the "midi in" of the microstation.

the microstation is connected via usb and i would like use the footpedal as a trigger for various ableton things.

i know this can be done, as on another midi keyboard (edirol pcrm) this exact setup worked perfectly.

i did some tests with the microstation, and the best i can get is the footpedal triggers notes on the microstation, instead of :

"midi out" foot pedal -> "midi in" microstation - > out microtstation usb to ableton.

seems like a similar scenario to the one being discussed above.

any thoughts would be awesome
PS. i could always use another controller as the "midi in" but i use the MS as my main keyboard for some gigs, and no point having two, or an extra midi interface, when i would have though MS could do this..
johnroney

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact, i have been all over this with my gear, and i've yet to find a setup where the midi sends in COMBI mode actually work...
UNLESS, you play the notes natively on the MS.

if i plug a controller to MIDI IN on the MS, and set the controller to CH.2, and have the COMBI setup so that 'part 2' (Ch.2) sends EXT1 or even EXT2 - i can't get anything to send anything to either USB or MIDI out (even with an adaptor) on CH. 2... but logic suggests that this should work...
i guess that MS only responds to local midi commands? also strange.

recap:
Controller (ch2)>>>MS MIDI IN >>> Combi (ch2 as EXT or EXT2) >>> MIDI OUT >>> ANYTHING ELSE = playing notes on the controller does NOTHING.

MS with combi (Ch1 as EXT or EXT2) >>> midi OUT = playing notes on the MS sends to the correct place...

but, this is not the desired effect. you would think that the MS responds to 'outside' midi events, but in fact, it does not...
i have not tried it with Arpeggiators (creating local midi events, but triggered by outboard signals) - but this seems wayyy to far for a simple task (something that a $30 adaptor can do).

korg?
botielus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: using the ms to play other synth, AND change it's progs?? Reply with quote

I want to control my korg nx5r module with the ms, and specifically have the ms change the patches on the module. I need to know how to store the prog/combi info (the cc# or bank change #'s). If I can get this to work with my current module, I'd like to buy the triton rack and do same with that (better sounds)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: