Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to program Ride cymbal on the jazz bass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahalo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: How to program Ride cymbal on the jazz bass Reply with quote

I want to add ride cymbal on every bass note, similar to a feature on many electric pianos which split to double bass & ride in th left hand, and I use this all the time for jazz.

Anyone know how to put the same percussion sound on every note in a combo?
Mahalo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sound I want to recreate, this is a Casio piano I bought in Bankok, standard sound double bass plus ride split from piano

http://m.soundcloud.com/mike-mahalo/sets/comedy-piano-vocal-for-live

Sent from my iPod
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do this, you will need to use the software editor to create a custom drum kit in the Global section. I read that your USB jack isn't working, so I don't think it's possible without the editor.

Aside from that, I think the correct way to set this up would be creating two custom drum kits and placing the cymbals on all the notes you want, then going to Combi mode and setting the drum kits onto the same MIDI channel as the instruments you want them attached to. From there, create a split point between the two.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Mahalo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Re-Member

I think the solution may be to create a new program that puts ride cymbal on every note, somehow, and layer that into the combi.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahalo wrote:
Thanks Re-Member

I think the solution may be to create a new program that puts ride cymbal on every note, somehow, and layer that into the combi.

The thing is, there's no pre-existing Program that has all cymbals on each note. You can only select waveforms from the editor, but even with the editor, you can't select a cymbal as a waveform for a program. The drum samples are only accessible within the drum kit edit mode. I learned this the hard way because I wanted to create a patch that was just traditional white noise that I could add filter keytrack to, but the waveform I wanted was hidden in the drum samples section. I had to create a drum kit and place the sample on every key, one by one, then save it in the User bank.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Mahalo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, I see. I was planning to filter white noise somehow but actually the solution is simply a new USER DRUM KIT, with cymbal on every note.

Perfect solution in fact. Thanks for your assistance.
Mahalo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: How do you edit or copy user drum kits? Reply with quote

Not so simple. Maybe impossible...

Got to London, bought my second microSTATION as the first was broken, and Korg confirmed unable to extend the guarantee to cambodia. and now trying to program the drumkit.

Seems the editor does not copy as it is supposed to. I am using Macbook Air. drum kit is in Global, Utiliy has Copy Drum Kit and I want to copy 002:(INT) Basic Kit 3 to one of the unused USER drum kits 032 to 047.

copy Drum Kit shows FROM and I put 002 Basic Kit 3 and immediately get microSTATION Editor Copy Drumkit Error!

Ok pen and paper as ALWAYS with the editor. So I need Ride Cymbal 1 from note D# which is ... Drumsample 0020. With Level +62 and cutoff +63 and Decay +22 ...

Let's edit userdrumkit 047 and ... Bloody hell, drumsample 0020 is now BD-Mondo-Kill. ?????

Guessing now, by the name let's try drumsample 0243 Ride cymbal jazz

...unfortunately the microSTATION is just playing piano on every note... So how do i get this drum kit to sound?
bradkorg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: How do you edit or copy user drum kits? Reply with quote

Mahalo wrote:
Not so simple. Maybe impossible...

Got to London, bought my second microSTATION as the first was broken, and Korg confirmed unable to extend the guarantee to cambodia. and now trying to program the drumkit.

Seems the editor does not copy as it is supposed to. I am using Macbook Air. drum kit is in Global, Utiliy has Copy Drum Kit and I want to copy 002:(INT) Basic Kit 3 to one of the unused USER drum kits 032 to 047.

copy Drum Kit shows FROM and I put 002 Basic Kit 3 and immediately get microSTATION Editor Copy Drumkit Error!

Ok pen and paper as ALWAYS with the editor. So I need Ride Cymbal 1 from note D# which is ... Drumsample 0020. With Level +62 and cutoff +63 and Decay +22 ...

Let's edit userdrumkit 047 and ... Bloody hell, drumsample 0020 is now BD-Mondo-Kill. ?????

Guessing now, by the name let's try drumsample 0243 Ride cymbal jazz

...unfortunately the microSTATION is just playing piano on every note... So how do i get this drum kit to sound?

Come on Think in Computer Logic, I thought you was a computerexpert! Smile,OK here's the SOLUTION:

1) GLOBAL>Drum Kit>Select Drum Kit> 047 (USER)Drumkit UA047
2) UTILITY>Copy Drum Kit>From [002 Basic Kit 3] (hold left mousebutton to scroll)>OK

Editor will crash/error if its done otherway!

Have fun with the best price/high quality mS!
bradkorg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to Assign a sound to a Drum key:

1) check [x]Key Chase and [x] Assign
2) High [x]>Stereo [(0020)Ride Cymbal 1] etc...

All unchecked/unassigned [ ]Assign note-keys will either have no sounds or defaults to use the sample [x]Assigned key above them!

Yeah, you'll need to think as a programmer with a low budget for this low price but amazing high quality/possiblity mS!
WhistlingFool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradkorg wrote:

Yeah, you'll need to think as a programmer with a low budget for this low price but amazing high quality/possiblity mS!

Thanks for coming by and helping out.... I have issues with the interface on occasion myself and have a computer background, but not a programmer background.. in the thread about ARP just below this one, he was having an issue selecting, but in his case the program is wonky and doesn't do a drop down list, but make you use the arrow keys to scroll through.... but are you saying if I Alt mouse button on the field I'll get a drop down??... didn't think to try that, given the other interfaces use a std click in the field to activate the drop down...

but thanks for dropping by with some expertise
bradkorg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you won't get drop boxes in Copy Drumkit and Copy Arpeggio Pattern. Hold left mousebutton and move up/down is the same as using the keyboard arrows to scroll through.
The deadline/budget was finished for the programmer!
lidserter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to program Ride cymbal on the jazz bass Reply with quote

Mahalo wrote:
I want to add ride cymbal on every bass note, similar to a feature on many electric pianos which split to double bass & ride in th left hand, and I use this all the time for jazz.

Anyone know how to put the same percussion sound on every note in a combo?

I have an alternative (i believe it better) solution to this problem!
Use a custom arpeggio pattern. Over the editor, global page, arpeggio pattern tab.
Just select "Fixed note" as tone mode, select then the key where the cymbal you want is at tone 0, mark at step 1 tone 0 on the arp edit grid.
Set the resolution to a quarter note, and be sure to have latch off and key sync on.
Then create a combi and assign the drum kit to arpeggio A (i.e. where i selected the new pattern recently edited). Make this drumkit play in a channel other than global, and assign a dummy track which status is OFF but its Arp is A too. Midi channel for this dummy must be the global channel. It should work.

If you are playing a slow time song, cymbal may sound two times at one pressing. To avoid this you can set the arp length to 48 and define only the first step as tone 0 and the other 47 as rests (unmarked)... If your tune is even sloooooooooower you can hear the two again.

Hope this helps you. I´m a MS lover, it is amazing all the things you can do with this toy-appear 2,6 kg keyboard!!! I´m new here at the forum but i have my MS since july 11 and still learning!

JJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: