Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding SST and Hold Time parameter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Understanding SST and Hold Time parameter Reply with quote

I want to smoothly transition from a string pad to a mellow pad, giving the string pad an extended release based on the Hold Time setting in the set list slot.

The string pad normally has a medium fast release (~ 1 sec) so it is playable without being muddy.

When I transition to the mellow pad, I'm typically holding the final notes of the string pad with the sustain pedal.

What I want to happen is after I select the mellow pad, the string pad remaining notes fade out according to the Hold Time in the set list slot - 5 seconds.

I'm not able to achieve that. Here are the steps and results:

Play final chord on string pad, sustain pedal is down.
Select mellow pad in setlist. Play notes with mellow pad.
Release sustain pedal. At this point the string pad fades fast based on its programmed release value.

If I continue to hold the sustain pedal, the string pad continues at the same level. The string pad has a non-zero sustain level. It never fades based on Hold Time. As I play more notes with the mellow pad, eventually the string voices cut out due to voice stealing, but that is even more abrupt.

How can I achieve the longer fade based on the Hold Time setting, as described in the Kronos Op Guide?
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand the confusion. The Hold Time parameter doesn't hold a voice despite the name. It holds the amount of time the previous Program remains active before dedicating all resources to the new sound. This is the practical way it should work too. The Hold Time parameter is particularly useful for any sound that takes a bit of time to die out, such as one being effected by a reverb with a long tail.

The hold parameter doesn't have a fade-out function, but that is a cool idea.

Something I didn't know until now, the sustain pedal won't trigger the Hold Time until it is let go. So even if there were a fade-out function, it wouldn't help with your particular circumstance. The Hold-Time wouldn't begin till after you released your sustain pedal, at which point you would experience the same behavior of the strings fading based on the Amp EG.

I think therein lies your answer. Program the Amp EG so your sustain IS on zero. Put your break point where the sustain used to be, then give it a long slope to taste. I would need to see the original Amp EG to know the best way to adjusted its settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: