Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencer / Memory full

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoegazer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Sequencer / Memory full Reply with quote

I have a kronos for nearly two weeks now and am transferring my set across from the Gem XP I have been using for nearly ten years.The GEM XP can hold 64 midi files in RAM which is pretty handy for me on stage.
I have transferred 32 files across and as I was about to load another it returned a memory full notification.
I must clarify that I have been saving all my midi files into one song.
My question is how many midi files should I be able to hold in the sequencer or is my approach all wrong. I know the event limit is 400,000 but I cant be reaching that already.
Having a limit is going to be a pain from the point of view of limiting your choice when on stage.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the details behind your midi files.

this 'issue' sounds familiar in SEQ mode , not sure of the root cause.

You might google the forum.

I don't recall how many measures and/or songs you can stuff into Song 000 or 001 in SEQ mode.

The Songs in SEQ will not load automatically, from what I recall.

Lets say you need 10 songs that fit into Song 000, etc. They all have to be loaded after boot-up.

Then you try to get Set List to play them in order.

IOW, you might be looking at a few steps to get a group to play nice for you.

I don't recall the exact process- a few forum regulars here have cracked the code on getting it done in SEQ mode.

wait for them if your google search is not conclusive.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I don't understand clearly why you are saving all your midi files into 1 song. It is curious.
The Kronos midi sequencer can support 400 000 midi event (whatever they are)

🌞

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have reached the Kronos' sequencer capacity. 64 MIDI files is a lot.

Sure, the Kronos handles up to 400,000 MIDI events, compared to the Gem's 250,000. But, the Gem Genesys XP also uses a DB (database) LIST function, which allows you to select/play songs from the hard drive, without interruption. Unfortunately, the Kronos does not have this feature.

Though inconvenient, loading up SEQ only files is very fast.
shoegazer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses.

@Kronosphere ...I am loading all my midi files into 1 song so it loads up all the midifiles into the sequencer in one go. When I'm gigging I'm basically controlling the set and if the singer wants a particular song not in the running order I could pick it out because I had 64 files loaded into the ram of the Gem.

@Mike Conway
Thanks for that reply. I didn't realise that the Kronos couldn't play directly from the hard drive. The Gem can load 64 midi files into its ram and no memory full errors although one thing the GEM does do is it retains the songs you've loaded even after a power off. When you went to use it again and load your files into RAM it wouldnt tell you it was full so an initialize of the disk had to be performed during each power-on to clear the space and if you didnt your files would start playing all sorts of weirdness...wrong sounds and sequenced parts dropping out.
shoegazer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses.

@Kronosphere ...I am loading all my midi files into 1 song so it loads up all the midifiles into the sequencer in one go. When I'm gigging I'm basically controlling the set and if the singer wants a particular song not in the running order I could pick it out because I had 64 files loaded into the ram of the Gem.

@Mike Conway
Thanks for that reply. I didn't realise that the Kronos couldn't play directly from the hard drive. The Gem can load 64 midi files into its ram and no memory full errors although one thing the GEM does do is it retains the songs you've loaded even after a power off. When you went to use it again and load your files into RAM it wouldnt tell you it was full so an initialize of the disk had to be performed during each power-on to clear the space and if you didnt your files would start playin
kronoskarma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused as to why you do not set up a set list of the 64 MIDI songs and then just use that? It loads near instantly. Just set up 1 sequence per MIDI file with all the sounds you need to make it sound right, so a ton of work up front, but then setup your set list for those 64 songs and have them load at startup - and you are good to go.

No?

Mike
Yamaha Tyros 5
Arturia MicroFreak
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Akai Force
Roland MC-707
1010music Black Box
Zoom Arq 48
shoegazer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like exactly where I need to be...seeing as I dont even have it two weeks is there a youtube link you could point me to? I know my approach to the file management is more than likely wrong and I just need to be shown how to do it right. The setlist is definitely the key here as you say.
There is a sweet spot to using the Kronos for sure but time spent at the coalface will only reveal that.
kronoskarma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoegazer wrote:
That sounds like exactly where I need to be...seeing as I dont even have it two weeks is there a youtube link you could point me to? I know my approach to the file management is more than likely wrong and I just need to be shown how to do it right. The setlist is definitely the key here as you say.
There is a sweet spot to using the Kronos for sure but time spent at the coalface will only reveal that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owMueyh0_Q8

If you need help with MIDI files, then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxtdJ3vYSpU&t=329s

No VO, but it looks like it will help you.

Mike
Yamaha Tyros 5
Arturia MicroFreak
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Akai Force
Roland MC-707
1010music Black Box
Zoom Arq 48
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: