Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending MIDI notes to Kaossilator Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dswtan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems very promising! I haven't got it to work yet, but thank you for the effort, nonisja! Smile
Rave-TZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sending MIDI notes to Kaossilator Pro Reply with quote

nonisja wrote:
Hi, everyone, I'm new in this forum.

A couple of days ago I bought a Kaossilator Pro, I was playing with it and it's great, but when I tried to send notes from my keyboard to Kaossilator through MIDI interface nothing happens. I was searching on this forum and I didn't found a solution... so I wrote a little application which translate notes to cc messages .

If someone wants to take a look on it, I posted it on my blog:

http://sonidokaotico.blogspot.com/2012/01/last-weekend-i-wrote-little-application.html

Let me know if you have any comment about it.

Thanks! Works great in Windows when Windows wants to work. Not sure if the app is to blame in Mac, but I have to unplug / replug in the USB cable for my Kaossilator Pro every now and then to keep it responding.

Anyways! I used it in this short tech demo and gave you credit.

http://youtu.be/ZpgkK76Cs9U
nonisja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the fisrt post with the link to a new version, it has some issues fixed.

Let me know if you have any issue.
SU7A7S

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, i have just downloaded and CANNOT WAIT to give this a go... as soon as the GF goes to bed s**t is getting set up, big style!!!

Thanks so much for developing this, i cannot express enough gratitude.

I will report back shortly.

I love you man.... Very Happy
shabby

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: coding Reply with quote

.. super app. now i wunder how did u make the scaling (the translation of notes to CC) correct. im trying to program the midi solutions event processor but dont know how to translate the octave scaling
SU7A7S

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding that to be an issue too, but for the moment it's great! Even if the notes are a bit all over the shop at least it's playable with some degree of precision now!

If your calling for suggestions it'd be great if the kaossillator pro could be used to control external synths, and if the app could be used to precision control the kp3, if not fx then just the synths??

But excellent build man, you've really done the whole world a valuable service here and should feel very, very proud of yourself.
Control

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sir, are the f*ck*ng MAN!!!!!!

Thank you soooooo much
Control

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had much success with this yet.

It starts up fine, the program detects my MIDI controller which is connected via USB and i have assigned it to IN. It also detects my Kaossilator pro and i have configured it to the IN / OUT

The Keyboard's (Maudio Oxygen) presses are being sent to the software as i see it light up in the application, but they don't make it to my kaossilator Sad

Anyone else having similar problems?

** edit..

Just looking at the picture on your blog of the app and noticed under the "Kaossilator Pro" settings you have selected the KPRO "PAD" and "SOUND"

Pretty sure I had just selected "Kaossilator Pro" from the list.. I'll try again when i get home in case that was the issue!
Control

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control wrote:

Just looking at the picture on your blog of the app and noticed under the "Kaossilator Pro" settings you have selected the KPRO "PAD" and "SOUND"

Pretty sure I had just selected "Kaossilator Pro" from the list.. I'll try again when i get home in case that was the issue!

Tried this, but all i see is "Kaossilator Pro" and not one for KPRO Pad / Sound.

Doesn't seem like i can get this to work Sad
Any idea what may fix this?
CleverConQueso

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks for Making This Reply with quote

Adding a keyboard extends the life and usefulness of the KO for those of us who used it as a first step towards developing a musical style. Another way to look at it is now you have a good sounding keyboard synth with a very cool touch screen interface added on. What's not to like?

As far as I'm concerned, if you ever want to make something more functional, please do.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever,

I believe you hit the nail there. Even tho the kpro was designed as a touch screen synth, I see absolutely nothing wrong with adding some new stuff to something already great.
dswtan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control wrote:
Control wrote:

Tried this, but all i see is "Kaossilator Pro" and not one for KPRO Pad / Sound.

Doesn't seem like i can get this to work Sad
Any idea what may fix this?

Finally got this to work myself tonight -- took quite a bit of fiddling around, but well worth it for me! Thanks again, nonisja!! Cool

I use a Mac for my music, so it may be different on a PC. I also have a *lot* of MIDI ports, so it was pretty confusing to get started -- you'll see why in a moment. Also one of my Keyboards is another Korg USB device, which has its own USB MIDI channel called "SOUND" like the KP, so I had to make sure I got the right one (the KP's).

Finally, I found that the KP would quite often apparently "lose the USB connection" -- the notes played and program changes are being shown in nonisja's Notes app, but the KP is not responding with audio. When I had it all working, it did this occasionally (after a few minutes of playing, typically -- and I see similar behaviour in other apps in my set-up -- I probably just have too many MIDI things going on). I found I could get it back working again by just disconnecting the USB cable at the KP end, leaving it out for a few seconds, and then plugging it back in. No need to restart the app.

Anyway, here's what my set-up/experience looks like in case it helps Control and future travellers:

- On the Mac, my pertinent MIDI ports are labelled as follows, with the full names reported in Ableton Live (for example, which I happened to have handy), but the Notes app only shows the name in the parentheses, not the full name -- this can lead to a lot of confusion with ambiguity between which port is which:

Keyboard:
MIDI IN - "PORT 1"
[Full name in Live: MIDI Express XT (Port 1) -- yours will be something different of course]

KP:
MIDI IN - "PAD"
[Full name in Live: KAOSSILATOR PRO (PAD)]

MIDI OUT - "SOUND"
[Full name in Live: KAOSSILATOR PRO (SOUND)]

- Notice how the app only shows the part of the full port name that's in parentheses, and it makes it all CAPS too, even if it is not -- PORT 1, PAD, SOUND. This can be confusing! (From Control's experience, if that was on a PC, it sounds like maybe this is the other way around and that is why you saw just ""KAOSSILATOR PRO" for both the above and not PAD or SOUND. Maybe?)

- FWIW, I also used my Korg Triton Extreme keyboard as an alternative keyboard controller (my other one above you can consider a generic keyboard connected to a MOTU MIDI Express XT) which came up as:

Keyboard:
MIDI IN - "KEYBOARD"
[Full name in Live: TRITON Extreme (KEYBOARD)]

- Tip:
Once you have all your ports selected correctly in the app and you are sure which is which (or be prepared to step through each systematically if things are ambiguous!), then just for kicks unplug/replug the USB cable to make sure the KP has a "good" USB connection and it then should all work for sure...

Other things I noticed:

- On my iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo) it takes a long time to display the user interface -- the menu bar shows it has started quite quickly, but the user interface doesn't come up for quite a while (minute or more?). I think it takes a long time to detect all my MIDI ports. If you have the same, be patient until the user interface shows up.

- Nifty that you can still play on the XY pad as well as the Keyboard, yay!

- If you change Keyboard in the app to another MIDI device/port, then even though you didn't change the KP in any way, it still seems to "break the USB connection" to the KP -- taking out the USB cable (as above) and re-plugging it back in after a few seconds seems to get things working again.

THANKS AGAIN TO nonisja FOR THIS NEAT TOOL!! Very Happy
bsnrich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: coding Reply with quote

shabby wrote:
.. super app. now i wunder how did u make the scaling (the translation of notes to CC) correct. im trying to program the midi solutions event processor but dont know how to translate the octave scaling

I was able to program my midisolutions event processor plus to play 2 octaves on a keyboard! Took me 28 settings and many attempts till I finaly got it! 2 days ago! I don't know how to detail the process, since inside the programming software as you program it looks diferent than the rows of numbers of the end product.

I guess I could copy the entire program as a text file to be fed into the programming software and only need to hit program!

I was able to map the values with my ipad 2 and the midi touch app.
Pad on = cc 92 val 127. Pad off=cc 92 val 000, notes on cc 12 values from 0 to 127. Notes are on the x axis. Modulation is on cc 13 val 0 to 127.

You have to send 3 cc numbers with their corresponding values, one to turn sound on, one for sound off and one to define the note. I also designed in the miditouch a slide on key to play notes and control the Y axis if I slide the finger along it's length.

I' planning on posting a video on youtube on each of this achievements, but will need some time to do a careful planning, because I am pretty bussy this days!

I have a Kaossilator pro, a midisolutions midi event processor plus, just got a microsampler yesterday! And also a FCB 1010 midi footpedal. I am learning how to stich it all together! Smile
Rave-TZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is no longer stable in Mountain Lion. It partially works, but mostly holds a single note. It also rarely starts the application. The icon will show, but no screen.

Sad, sad day.
bsnrich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Midi keyboard to kaossilator pro Reply with quote

I was able to control the Kaossilator pro with a midi keyboard using the midisolutions Event Processor Plus. Video on youtube.
Go to youtube and search for.

rikochetti

You will see the videos And select the one with the kaossilator pro. Info is in the comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: