Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

live playing setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quenz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: live playing setup Reply with quote

I'm trying to make a setup for live playing by template song.
I don't use the sequencer
The goal is to access different sounds easily, ex: trk2 bass, trk3 keyboard, trk4 solo synth, ect...
let's say i use arp A for trk3 and arp B for trk4, is it possible to assign the arp button (on/off) only to the track active?
Like when the arpA is playing on trk3, i select trk4 and i want to stop the arpB on track4 but not the arp on track 3.
And I also want that the realtime controllers works only on the active track.

Thanks
LFCMusic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ever 2 sounds you assign the arps to, make sure you also assign/duplicate them to another track, that way you can just mute and unmute the arps/track as needed and still be able to play single notes or chords.

I do this in Combi mode all the time on the M3.

Yes you will use up polophony but it shouldn't be a problem since the Microstation has a polophony of 120.

Example:
Track 1- Piano
Track 2- Synth Bass -Arp A (mute/unmute)
Track 3- Guitar (Arp B)
Track 4- Synth Bass (Duplicate)
Track 5- Guitar (Duplicate)

-Past Gear-
Korg: M50, Trinity, Triton, 01WFD, 05RW, X5D, SP-100 & N364
Yamaha: Motif 8
Mahalo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem for me. Or similar.

Triggering different ARPs, great, different ranges of the KB. Stopping and restarting is clumsy, but that is how I get around it for now. It is basically why I need also the microKorg XL just to cover the glitch.

I would like Real Time controls to think in terms of the Combis, not the Programs, so that I can control volume of trackgroup 5 6 7 8 with one of the real time control knobs, this I think would resolve the question too?

I only had the microSTATION a couple of weeks, template song, I have to check what that is. Sounds like you can mute and unmute different tracks with the 16 buttons on the right? Wow!! That is exactly what I want. I'll look into that next. unfortunately the preset factory combis are inconsistent which track is drums, bass, etc. I just wish the teams that design the microARRANGER and the microSTATION could become one team and create the ideal live performance machine with microkeys that I can carry easily.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahalo wrote:
I would like Real Time controls to think in terms of the Combis, not the Programs, so that I can control volume of trackgroup 5 6 7 8 with one of the real time control knobs, this I think would resolve the question too?

By default, the realtime controls operate on the Global MIDI channel, so switch over to Realtime Controls B, assign one of the knobs to be Volume CC#07, then go into the MIDI settings in Combi Mode set only the tracks you want to be controlled by this knob to the Global MIDI channel. Tracks not set to the Global channel shouldn't be effected by the knobs, but I'm currently away from my gear to say that's absolutely certain.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Mahalo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Re-member

...by default... I wonder, could Realtime B controls be set to another MIDI channel?

This sounds promising - I plan to try this when I get back to my editor. If I understand correctly, Global Channel normally is channel 1, for example, and the main keyboard effectively works in parallel on Global Channel and the setting of the Combi. Otherwise the mainkeyboard will not play the notes any more...

ARP has the velocity control and gate time which alter the volume and sometimes the tonal effects through other settings. I was considering remapping my own drumsets to see if low velocity and high could give different instruments or silence, there is no completely silent drumsound, but overall this is a complex solution to a simple and obvious need.

One more thing i considered is to edit the Combi live, creating user drumkits at different volumes that can easily be switched with live editing, and back.

As for the twin ARP, I have these triggered in separate key ranges, which is effective, but then when stopping the ARP it glitches,
quenz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: live playing setup Reply with quote

Template song is useful for assign programs, ifx, mfx, arp on trk.
I use the editor for this.
I want to change different sounds easily when i'm jamming with friends.
I'd like to assign contoller and arp only on the active trk but i think its not possible. only the midi filter can make the trk sensitive to controler ?!
Mahalo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quenz, I am wondering, how does template song improve what you can do only with the basic Combi.

i am also using the microSTATION for live jamming and frustrated with many challenges, so if this can help, please tell me the advantages over normal Combis.
Tshapiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, why & how are you all using a song template to switch sounds. It was my natural inclination to simply write my favorite programs to the first 16 slots of the USER bank and be done with it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: