Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving a song (overwrite)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EiwazMike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Saving a song (overwrite) Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I have a simple question? How do I save a song I am working on without creating a new song? haha, I know it sounds funny, but every time I save my work I am prompted to save as a new file.

Is there an easy way to simply overwrite the loaded song?

Cheers and Happy Holidays.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Saving a song (overwrite) Reply with quote

EiwazMike wrote:
Hey folks,

I have a simple question? How do I save a song I am working on without creating a new song? haha, I know it sounds funny, but every time I save my work I am prompted to save as a new file.

Is there an easy way to simply overwrite the loaded song?

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

The MS only saves entire batches of songs as an SNG file. In order to save anything, you need to go to the GLOBAL/MEDIA menu and find the option that says Save SEQ. Unfortunately, this always creates a new SNG batch file of Seq songs and won't let you overwrite a previous one.

My workflow so far has been forcing myself to loading the existing SNG file and all its songs the moment I power on the synth, going into the Song edit menus in SEQ MODE and choosing to create a new song to add to the batch, saving a new SNG file when I'm ready to power off, then finally deleting the previous SNG file I started with based on the lowest number so I don't accidentally reload it again next time.

It's by far the worst memory management system I've used since using the Emax Emulator years ago, but once you get the hang of how it flows, it becomes easy to remember the quirks in it.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
EiwazMike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying and I did think about this, I just wasn't sure If I was missing something. Thank you.

Wow this is going to be major pain in the rear when I have multiple songs.

I guess I'll have to get notepad and keep it right underneath the MS. Every time I save a new version of song "x" ill have to write down the new #. When I come back to work on it again, I'll know what # (song) to open and when I save it as a new #, I will know what old song "x" to delete.

AGGH, this is a total pain, are all workstations like this or is this just a flaw in the MS?

Shocked
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EiwazMike wrote:
I understand what you are saying and I did think about this, I just wasn't sure If I was missing something. Thank you.

Wow this is going to be major pain in the rear when I have multiple songs.

I guess I'll have to get notepad and keep it right underneath the MS. Every time I save a new version of song "x" ill have to write down the new #. When I come back to work on it again, I'll know what # (song) to open and when I save it as a new #, I will know what old song "x" to delete.

AGGH, this is a total pain, are all workstations like this or is this just a flaw in the MS?

Shocked

I know most of the newer Roland workstations don't function this way. Saving to a memory card is usually as simple as pressing the Write or Save button at any given moment, then a screen will pop up asking where you want it to go or what you want to overwrite. They usually have an auto-load on feature as well when you power up, so you don't get lost juggling data files between sessions.

On the MS, a single SNG file can actually hold up to 128 songs, so again, the trick is to remember to load your SNG file first and making sure you choose to load all the songs so that when you go to SEQ MODE and choose to create a new song, it gets added as the last song in the batch you want to save later.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
McKabe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought my microSTATION last week and have been very impressed with the sounds and basic functions of this unit. But after finally getting a chance to delve into the SEQ functions, I feel pretty damn stupid.

Is it just me? I can't wrap my head around it. If someone would care to break down the simple protocol of saving and loading, I would greatly appreciate it. I know I'm a noob and all, but sheesh... Someone please help a ninja out!
Branson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save a song first go to global mode , scroll down to media, scroll to save seq, save pcg this is the parameter settings or save all which is both seq and pcg. then remember the file # or name it saved to . then scroll rename that file to the name of youre song this is a pain and I wish Korg would improve on this, It helps to keep a pen and paper handy to so you keep track of all this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: