Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tip: More power to your pianos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arne v

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: tip: More power to your pianos Reply with quote

Hi,
I was unsure of posting this since there are no other post or comments on this, but in many of my combo`s and songs my piano (acoustic and electric) sounds "weak". I cant get the volume up so the sound sort of fades in the background or i have to adjust every other track to fit the piano volume and then the song sort of looses its punch.
My goal here was to make a piano for a jazz trio. To make the piano the "lead singer" so to speak.

I love the standard kronos piano, which imho is best suited for down beat ballads. I wanted a jazz piano a`la chick corea Smile

First i have edited my Kronos Grand to have more of an "edge" then i copied EXi1 parameters to EXi2 and voilà..the sound becomes infront instead of in the back (2 pianos ontop of each other). The important thing here is to use the same piano sound on both EXi`es Not a kombination of piano1 bright and piano2 dark, because then you will get a strange distortion effect. The sound sort of crashes in the middle of your speakers Smile
i also did this on some of my EP and they got a bit more aggressive, not some dull piano in the background. Add som detune and stereoeffect and you are ready to go!
Im a huge fan of Chick Corea and love his piano sound (both electric and acoustic). I finally made a pianosound that i liked Smile

PS!This piano sound does not fit everyone, but it fits my style of playing and i want to share my experience with this insane instrument Smile

[IMPORTANT EDIT] i forgot to mention check the key zone on the EXi2. This is set to bottom F#6 as default. set this to c-1.

Last edited by arne v on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you copy it without changes, isn't it the same as increasing the volume?

I assume the detune and stereo effect do the trick ... probably only a slight detune is needed, otherwise you probably get a honky tonk piano.

I use this 'trick' sometimes to fatten lead sounds (although the sounds in the Kronos are already very good).

Maybe an idea to regulate the detune/stereo effect by a slider so you can adjust the level of 'stereo spread'.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
xtatty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing.

If you want us to try it out and give you our opinion about it,
give us a .pcg with the piano only inside or post it to http://korgpatches.com/
Internal USB & LAN:
- Wireless Lan (WL-330N3G)
- Wireless USB keyboard receiver (Logitech)
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would do what you are suggesting. Doubling a Program using a lot of stereo samples streaming from disk is using a HUGE amount of system resources/polyphony, all in the desire to achieve what?

A louder sound? Try using a limiter on a TFX to boost your gain.

A punchier sound? Work with some EQ before the limiter.

Experiment with effects processing to get more from your paino - it'll be the best approach.

Regards,

Jerry
Mofit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times you can fix the problem with a sound being too feint by making the sound 'brighter,' meaning increasing the filter cutoff frequencies (for LPF), increasing resonance slightly, or jacking the 4k and higher EQs. When you start layering different piano multisamples together, you get overlapping frequencies, where both pianos give a lot of mid-range and lower-range frequencies. This can cause distortion, phasing, and other odd artifacts.

If something is not loud enough, then turn up the AMP. If it's loud, but not cutting through, think about frequencies and not amplitudes.

The problem also might be with other instruments in the mix. If the piano is competing with strings or guitar that have a considerable amount of similar frequencies, then the instruments can get lost in one another. Think about turning down frequencies of other instruments in order to bring forth the piano.

Just my two cents. Smile

Gear:
Yamaha Motif ES7; Yamaha Motif XF8; Yamaha Motif XS7; Yamaha S70XS; Yamaha Motif XS Rack; Korg Kronos 73; Old, unreliable, tweaky, pissy-and-moany self-built PC.
xtatty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it and he is right!
I haven't got much time to test it, but my first impression was good!

After you place the second EXi , it automatically detunes it by 5 cents.
So the result is a very loud and punchy piano!

Yes, the work can be done with effects too but this is a simple and fast way and it sounds good! Very Happy
Internal USB & LAN:
- Wireless Lan (WL-330N3G)
- Wireless USB keyboard receiver (Logitech)
arne v

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe..thank you all for suggestions, but i have already tried the filters etc.

xtatty, i will upload the file to korgpatches asap Smile

If you liked it try shortening the release to -18 and adjust the velocity bias to +009, lid position 0,47.
Piano type: German D 2 s

as i wrote this is a sound for a trio. I can play combi int-D0097 for a looong time. Smile
The problem of just changing the effects is that when wanting a piano in a song or combi i have to always change the effects, and that takes to long .)
spo elman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem of just changing the effects is that when wanting a piano in a song or combi i have to always change the effects, and that takes to long .)

Just copy from program, then you won't have to insert fx again, it's all done automatically
arne v

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx but i already know that. Smile
If i want to keep the original fx`s this does not work Razz
Fred S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volume did increase. Worked well with the German. Also tried doubling the Rudess piano...not so much.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it nice that there are so many choices/possibilities?
Very Happy

Until polyphony or performance become an issue, if it works for you, it's right. But in general I still offer that effects processing can achieve a lot, and is the best route to explore.

But you're happy, so I'm happy (for you) too!

Enjoy.

Jerry
arne v

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Jerry, i do appreciate the feedback Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
I don't think I would do what you are suggesting. Doubling a Program using a lot of stereo samples streaming from disk is using a HUGE amount of system resources/polyphony, all in the desire to achieve what?

A louder sound? Try using a limiter on a TFX to boost your gain.

A punchier sound? Work with some EQ before the limiter.

Experiment with effects processing to get more from your paino - it'll be the best approach.

Regards,

Jerry

Thanks for this advice (and from Mofit).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
arne v

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added to korgpatches.com:

http://korgpatches.com/patches/kronos/

it was not easy saving just those 2 sounds (with an EP) so i saved them under user AA000 and user AA001. If i missed please let me know Smile

regards arne v
polop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: