Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using iPad as controller etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Using iPad as controller etc Reply with quote

Just wondered if anyone is using an iPad with Thumjam with their Kronos? I'm amazed they packed so many features into this app.

http://thumbjam.com/

I just watched the video mainly about Thumbjam at sonicstate.com showing the iPad Show

http://www.sonicstate.com/video/index.cfm?vid=1

Very interesting and I think it costs 5.99 pounds

May be buying an iPad after all as it seems Android version may be an update or to away. If ever.
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed the point, but I don't see that Thumbjam is at all a controller, but rather an iPad based soft synth.

I have used the Yamaha Fader and Pad app with the camera connection kit as a MIDI input to the Kronos. I'd like to see more apps like that build on MIDI input to give some new control options and features to the Kronos.

Chris
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the name of the app exactly (as I don't have an iPad), but a friend of mine uses an app that lets you completely design your own controller. Faders, knobs, pads, all sizable, colorable and freely assignable of course. It has a really simple name too, like MidiControl or MidiRemote or something. I'll ask him, unless someone here knows?
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
Maybe I missed the point, but I don't see that Thumbjam is at all a controller, but rather an iPad based soft synth.

I have used the Yamaha Fader and Pad app with the camera connection kit as a MIDI input to the Kronos. I'd like to see more apps like that build on MIDI input to give some new control options and features to the Kronos.

Chris

If you watched the whole iPad Show video I think you would see the bigger picture. Looks like you can do a great deal with this app.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midi Touch is the app I meant.
Pretty nifty.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wizdommusic.com/GeoSynth/index.html IMO looks like a very interesting controller, it has a built in synth as well but to use it with external gear looks tempting to me. Now just give me iPad 3 and I'm ready to go Smile

drchris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:

If you watched the whole iPad Show video I think you would see the bigger picture. Looks like you can do a great deal with this app.

I don't know that it can connect at all to the Kronos yet. From their website:

"Even better, you can use it as a MIDI or OSC controller over Wifi to control software instruments on your computer! CoreMidi, Akai Synthstation25 and Line6 MidiMobilizer support is coming soon."

We will need CoreMIDI support to get MIDI data into and out of the Kronos to the app in the iPad. Perhaps now you can set up MIDI over wifi into a computer then from there into the Kronos, but this is a complacated setup. Worth watching when CoreMIDI support is added.

Chris
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, there are midi kits for the iPad...
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Eh, there are midi kits for the iPad...

Yeah, but a MIDI interface on USB to the OS is useless when the app in question doesn't use CoreMIDI. In this case, the app probably uses some proprietary protocol and was written before the introduction of the CoreMIDI framework.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I get what you're driving at. You want to use the iPad as a control surface for the Kronos, correct? What does CoreMidi have to do with it? As far as I can see it, you could use any of the available options for the iPad to make it output midi, and feed that into the Kronos. A friend of mine is using it to control softsynths, not the Kronos, but the principle is the same. If you really need to use the usb connection on the Kronos, just get a class compliant usb midi cable and an adapter plug.

Am I missing a link somewhere?
mm-pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPad can interface with the Kronos already with the camera connection kit and an USB cable.

MIDI has worked reliably for me. Occasionally the Kronos will see the IPad as an USB audio device and allow playback through the USB channel of the Kronos external audio mixer...but this is a hit or miss affair so far.

As to Thumbjam, the core MIDI support has been released as part of the 2.0 update and seems to work well. I was just playing with an Akai Lpk keyboard, the iPad with Thumbjam and Animoog playing layered...very fun.

Yamaha's Tenori-on app is fun triggering the Kronos.

Regards,

MM
twice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Anyone know a ipad app. that can control all chords progresion so I can trigger chords from the Ipad
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded Google Chrome (extremely fast BTW - 35Mb in about 3 seconds I kid you not, on a wireless network to my Mac Mini) Then I searched for Android audio apps for chrome and found Aviary.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fafdknjemckbfdklihiolhgkibiedige?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk-webstr&utm_medium=ha

It looks a bit like Garage Band.

And its FREE. Quite few samples come with it too.

You can save your work and export / download as mp3 or wave files.

Created a nice little 2 bar drum loop using the built-in Random function.

It seems that new upcoming Android OS will improve audio handling and probably then we will see great Android based audio apps like on the iPad.

The point is if you are looking for a fun app to make some background music while you browse this is great.

I'm trying to keep an eye on the development of audio apps for Android devices.
gjvti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twice wrote:
Hello
Anyone know a ipad app. that can control all chords progresion so I can trigger chords from the Ipad

It was already mentioned Yamaha Keyboard Arp & Drum Pad. Just search appstore for "chords" and "Core Midi" Smile perhaps Pianist Pro will also fit to your needs.

twice wrote:
Just downloaded Google Chrome (extremely fast BTW - 35Mb in about 3 seconds I kid you not, on a wireless network to my Mac Mini) Then I searched for Android audio apps for chrome and found Aviary.

Unfortunately Android platform doesn't support midi (like there is Core midi - in iOS) and also ad hoc networking. So this probably is main reason why music application market for Android is so limited. Android platform doesn't include fundamental basics, which are required for serious musical use. Android is better for business use.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twice wrote:

Unfortunately Android platform doesn't support midi (like there is Core midi - in iOS) and also ad hoc networking. So this probably is main reason why music application market for Android is so limited. Android platform doesn't include fundamental basics, which are required for serious musical use. Android is better for business use.[/quote]

I read that midi support might be added to Android. There is no real reason why it should not is there?

And is making music not a business? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: