Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's hear your latest stuff....right here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Fine!

Heres a more or less 20 year old song I made.
This version made in 2001 I think.

No Korg gear, so you may not like it Smile

Recorded off of crappy PC soundcard hooked to a cheapo mixer and Roland synths.
(I don't have anything Oasys yet to share)

http://soundcloud.com/andre_hedegaard/06-track-6

Hedegaard,

Thanks for posting your music. THAT is a challenging thing for anyone to do.

I'd put your song in the genre of borderline New Age. Its very good, in fact. Is it top 100 New Age? Not in my experience...but its a really good song, and well recorded. And I like that it has a live feel (not quantized to death), but your timing could be tighter in just a few spots, IMO.

Not sure why you posted a "20 year old song", when the topic you responded to so sharply was about the quality of music TODAY. Might have been more apropos to post something current!

And regarding "melody", people have differing opinions of what is melodic, or what makes up a melody line. I don't personally view your song here as having a distinct melody line. That's not intended to be a "dis"....because I really like your song.....but it doesn't ring my bell as being the elusive example of top 100 catchy melodic prowess.

Genre has a LOT to do with style and substance of music. Certain genres such as trance/techno, even the great examples of it, rely on a repetitive beat or groove. It doesn't make it less musical or "auto-rhythm" if done well. I have programmed some of those repeating beats, and getting the timing, feel, and structure of an authentic original loop can be quite a task, and can really add to the "trance" which the music seeks to draw you into.

For fairness (and fun!).....here is two fresh and recent songs which I feel are "melodic" and anything but "auto-rhythm" (as I programmed or played every note and beat of what you hear).....completely different genres.......but you see there is no accounting for taste........

1. Kronos pianos and synth/orchestral elements. JP80 bass and percussion. Live guitars. Everything played live...no quantization at all throughout (PS...my timing in this song could be tighter in spots!). Vocals from local artist :

http://soundcloud.com/ronf-3/pray-for-me

2. M3/Kronos synths, percussion, strings. Live guitars. JP80 strings. Moog Voyager synths. I played most of the drums and percussion in real time with a V-drum kit and/or SPD30 drum pads. I personally love this song, perhaps one of my best, very catchy *melody* IMO.... sounds fantastic turned up in the car with a subwoofer Smile

http://soundcloud.com/ronf-3/01-track-01

Oh....Is anything I've ever recorded "top 100" material IMO?.....heck NO.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.

Last edited by RonF on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Fine!

This is good stuff - very clever. Really admire the changing time sigs you got going on.

Why not redo it on your more up to date synths?
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work RonF.

Your extremely talented mate, and a decent person to.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Nice work RonF.

+1
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
Nice work RonF.

+1

Sincere thanks!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:

For fairness (and fun!).....here is two fresh and recent songs which I feel are "melodic" and anything but "auto-rhythm" (as I programmed or played every note and beat of what you hear).....completely different genres.......but you see there is no accounting for taste........

1. Kronos pianos and synth/orchestral elements. JP80 bass and percussion. Live guitars. Everything played live...no quantization at all throughout (PS...my timing in this song could be tighter in spots!). Vocals from local artist :

http://soundcloud.com/ronf-3/pray-for-me

2. M3/Kronos synths, percussion, strings. Live guitars. JP80 strings. Moog Voyager synths. I played most of the drums and percussion in real time with a V-drum kit and/or SPD30 drum pads. I personally love this song, perhaps one of my best, very catchy *melody* IMO.... sounds fantastic turned up in the car with a subwoofer Smile

http://soundcloud.com/ronf-3/01-track-01

Oh....Is anything I've ever recorded "top 100" material IMO?.....heck NO.

While your second song is more my taste, I thought prey for me was superb, really got my imagination going, could imagine a woman a couple of hundred years ago, candle lit room, staring out of her window out over the cliff, waiting for her husband/lover to come home, then I heard the word soldier mentioned and realised he wasn't lost at sea at all Smile

Any song that does that to me is far better than most of the top 10 rubbish I hear let alone top 100.

Best

Joe
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:

Any song that does that to me is far better than most of the top 10 rubbish I hear let alone top 100.

Best

Joe

Thank you so much for your very kind comments!
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some work in progress here.
My first song on the Korg Kronos, but it's not finished yet.
Basically messing around still and getting to know the sequencer.

Last edited by Yuma on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF:
I agree with the others here, you seem like a decent person.
So thanks for your extended feedback in a decent way.

I. however, am not so decent when it comes to voicing my opinion of music.
I realise that when people make music and they play it to their spouses/family/friends, these are the people that seem most appreciative and choose delicate words if they don't think its "top 100" material.

But we should be cutting-edge honest here, its the only way to leave room to strive to make something "good" instead of "well, its not really my taste, its good, but not something I usually listen to".
If it were good, people would WANT to listen to it and if its excellent, then the song can even move across borders of genres.
For example, if you make a really outstanding piano composition, you could even attract a few heavy metal people to appreciate it. (And later they would copy&paste some of it in their own material)

So I disagree that my song isn't Top 100 in some kind of genre, not so sure about you calling it "New Age" (Because New Age style is an expression of lack of talent to me - its just pads upon pads upon pads of slowly evolving backtracks, with plinky plonky piano without sense on top)
And there indeed is melody, although the recording dosen't make it so clear and it sounds a little muddled. There is a "flute" in there on top of the melodic piano, which incidentally is an arpegiator of the melody throughout the song.
I didn't "play" it as per se. I played the parts, then I moved/altered each and every single note to quantize it into place.
Each sound was programmed from "nothing" - factory reseted patch or whatever.
Anyway, the listener dosen't care about these things, or anything else, they care about "how it sounds" and if it dosen't sound good/great/excellent, they soon forget about it.
Its a 20 year old song, because its the only "Americanized" song I really have. I.e. it has natural sounding drums, damn disgusting flute sound, very acoustic. Europeans get turned on with electronical sounds, and the "feel of these forums" seems to appreciate more acoustic than electronical.
Why? Because no one here has posted anything from trance, electronical in the modern sense of the genre here.

Now your songs:
"Pray for me"
I, like others, liked the vocals on the track. The voice is really clear, almost as if 100 sine waves were made to create that voice. Its almost "pure" in a sense. You should really use this "local artist" for some more songs.
The piano sound in the back drowned out her voice a few places.
There was a lot of "movement" in the piece (despite the slow tempo) and this movement took away some attention from her voice.
Is the song any good? Well, not really. Its again what I was talking about. No melody. (Except for her voice which tried, but wasn't extreme enough in pitch to define an actual melody)
The song DID change later on, towards the last 3rd of the song, which made an alteration.
Top100? No, sorry.
People will move on from this song and just forget about it.
Except for the voice, because of its clearness and she could probably have sung on her own, WITHOUT any music and it might have been better.

"The Stormchaser"
Well, again, a lot going on, too much really.
Some of the drums seem out of place, probably because you were playing these yourself and you probably felt they "needed" to be there. But believe me, they didn't!
I didn't hear too much differences between intro and middle pieces, its all mixed into one.
A lot of layers on top in this one, things getting a bit muddled, so its hard to pick out something and concentrate on that.
Its most definitely not top 100 either. In fact, if it were playing in a supermarket in the background, I'd just get stressed and leave probably.

But you probably had fun playing around with these songs and maybe this was your goal?
Also like you say, its about taste really, but I find these songs tasteless.

Sorry RonF, I'm not as decent or "gentle" as you in my critique and I'm just a dork on the internet, so my opinion shouldn't count anyway:)
The others here seem to like your material, but thats probably because they also don't know what makes a Top100 song and so they make stuff similar sounding to yours.
Make something Top100 and you'll be adorned with praise.

Incidentally, I heard a while ago a song, that was actually getting a bit close to Top 100, it was made by Danatkorg, some track for a Spiderwoman comic I believe. Alas, it had its own flaws too. (This is generally what you get when Americans try to go electronical - only Europeans know how to make good electronical songs) But otherwise it was very well produced and the only song here closer to Top 100 than anything else I've heard posted here.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Hedegaard wrote:
Fine!

This is good stuff - very clever. Really admire the changing time sigs you got going on.

Why not redo it on your more up to date synths?

Thanks cello.
Changing time sigs? Not even sure what that means. You mean the tempo changes in places?

Anyway, yeah, I should redo this piece on the Oasys, it'll sound a whole lot more clearer and better sounding programs/patches than the original.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuma wrote:
Some work in progress here.
My first song on the Korg Kronos, but it's not finished yet.
Basically messing around still and getting to know the sequencer.

Interesting arrangement .... it reminds me strongly about the 80s (which is good).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the combination of flute sound and piano.
Very good.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:

The others here seem to like your material, but thats probably because they also don't know what makes a Top100 song and so they make stuff similar sounding to yours.
Make something Top100 and you'll be adorned with praise.

Incidentally, I heard a while ago a song, that was actually getting a bit close to Top 100, it was made by Danatkorg, some track for a Spiderwoman comic I believe. Alas, it had its own flaws too. (This is generally what you get when Americans try to go electronical - only Europeans know how to make good electronical songs) But otherwise it was very well produced and the only song here closer to Top 100 than anything else I've heard posted here.

What do you mean by top 100 though?

The weekly charts?

I think that a lot of the last 10 years of chart music is very talentless, often very repetitive, maybe catchy short term, but most has no long term listening.

Of course there's also been a few absolutely excellent songs over the years too.

Something I realised quite a few years ago was that when I brought chart music, it normally ended up played very little and often stuff that wasn't as popular or I wasn't sure of the first few times I listened to, are still on my MP3 player today.

The mostly talentless xfactor winners manage to get to no 1 most years with zero recognition to the musicians playing the music on their songs.

So I don't quite understand your benchmark for top 100? Surely what 1 person might think of as top 100, another will despise?
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally something is top100 material if I still remember a song after 10 years.
I agree with Ojustaboo in that the mainstream music in the billboards hasn't overall been inspiring the past 10 years.
That doesn't mean that there ain't no good music out there though, but it's harder to find.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anybody is under any illusions that they can produce a top 100 piece of music. You don't write music to make it a top 100 record.

Rhianna might, but thats her job.

Anyhow, this is something I threw together. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not.
I couldn't sleep so I got up and did this.
I reckon it should break into the top 10 000 000 000 charts if I really wanted it to.
Genre.....Homemade crap category.

Wink

Peace. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vUCJH5siM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 4 of 95

Jump to: