Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Kronos Woes....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: More Kronos Woes.... Reply with quote

I had been gigging with a single Fantom G6 for the past few years and decided take the plunge and put my Kronos 61 on top of it for organs and synth sounds.

I got the new "rig" all programmed and ready and took it to its first show last weekend (7th). I was playing the CX-3 engine (in a combi) on the Kronos when I noticed there was no sound coming out of it. The song was almost over so I didn't have time to troubleshoot. I couldn't reproduce it at home, but I remembered the vector joystick issue some people were having and disabled it completely in each of the combis I was using live.

Fast forward to last night...different song, but again, the CX-3. It simply stopped producing sound mid-song. This time, I got the sound back by switching to a different combi and then back to the organ. All is fine until I go to start the 3rd set...nothing: no sound, no response on the screen, no response to buttons or switches. It was frozen up. I had to reboot it and substitute a song that only used the Fantom until it was up and running again.

There is also a problem with the CX-3 where the C at the top of the 4th octave on my 61 seems to "stick" when I play a chord that has that note in it.

None of these problems can be reproduced (except the sticking C). At this point, I'm swapping the Kronos out for something else that I can rely on. Crying or Very sad
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: More Kronos Woes.... Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
I had been gigging with a single Fantom G6 for the past few years and decided take the plunge and put my Kronos 61 on top of it for organs and synth sounds.

I got the new "rig" all programmed and ready and took it to its first show last weekend (7th). I was playing the CX-3 engine (in a combi) on the Kronos when I noticed there was no sound coming out of it. The song was almost over so I didn't have time to troubleshoot. I couldn't reproduce it at home, but I remembered the vector joystick issue some people were having and disabled it completely in each of the combis I was using live.

Fast forward to last night...different song, but again, the CX-3. It simply stopped producing sound mid-song. This time, I got the sound back by switching to a different combi and then back to the organ. All is fine until I go to start the 3rd set...nothing: no sound, no response on the screen, no response to buttons or switches. It was frozen up. I had to reboot it and substitute a song that only used the Fantom until it was up and running again.

There is also a problem with the CX-3 where the C at the top of the 4th octave on my 61 seems to "stick" when I play a chord that has that note in it.

None of these problems can be reproduced (except the sticking C). At this point, I'm swapping the Kronos out for something else that I can rely on. Crying or Very sad

I'm sorry that you've encountered difficulties. Note sticking sounds like a hardware problem; I'd talk with your Korg dealer or Korg Distributor (see the link in my signature).

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
maphill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: More Kronos Woes.... Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

For the volume issue: Was the Master slider all the way down? If so, after changing to a patch, any bump (maybe even a vibration) would cause that slider to "activate" and zero out the volume. Just leave that slider in the all-the-way-up position and that issue might be solved.

For sticking B's and C's, if the key is physically sticking, the solution for that has been posted. Search is broken, so you may have to scroll back a little. Basically you can loosen the big screws on the bottom of the keyboard (from under your stand), gently push the keybed back a millimeter or two, then re-tighten (carefully) the bolts. The sticking will be gone.

Of course, Dan has posted the proper way to proceed.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Hope this helps
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that QC has been shaky. Crossing fingers here but I had only one anomalous occurrence with Kronos but I expect the rare weirdness: Kronos is both a musical instrument AND a computer. But my data wheel is solid, my Kronos formats, saves, and loads from tons of different USB sticks, it gets played HARD and nothing zeroes out or sticks in any engine.

BillW I know you were a HUGE supporter of Kronos and it breaks my heart man that you are experiencing difficulty. KorgUSA support IS pretty good. I needed to call Korg USA because I had some difficulties with loading and unloading Sharp's Kronos Assault. They guided me through, the problem was easily solved, and everything with Kronos is smooth sailing.

I TRULY hope you do not give up on Kronos man.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: More Kronos Woes.... Reply with quote

maphill wrote:

For the volume issue: Was the Master slider all the way down? If so, after changing to a patch, any bump (maybe even a vibration) would cause that slider to "activate" and zero out the volume. Just leave that slider in the all-the-way-up position and that issue might be solved.

For sticking B's and C's, if the key is physically sticking, the solution for that has been posted. Search is broken, so you may have to scroll back a little. Basically you can loosen the big screws on the bottom of the keyboard (from under your stand), gently push the keybed back a millimeter or two, then re-tighten (carefully) the bolts. The sticking will be gone.

Of course, Dan has posted the proper way to proceed.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Hope this helps

Thanks Dan and Mark. I will explore the master slider. I'm a little rougher when playing the organ patches, so that's a possibility (although this shouldn't be a problem on a $3K keyboard).

The C key isn't sticking...it works fine in any mode except the CX-3. If I play any chord involving that note, it's like the note sustains when I let go of it. If I play that C by itself, it releases normally. This doesn't occur with any other engine. I'm going to take Dan's advice and see what Korg says.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
I am guessing that QC has been shaky. Crossing fingers here but I had only one anomalous occurrence with Kronos but I expect the rare weirdness: Kronos is both a musical instrument AND a computer. But my data wheel is solid, my Kronos formats, saves, and loads from tons of different USB sticks, it gets played HARD and nothing zeroes out or sticks in any engine.

BillW I know you were a HUGE supporter of Kronos and it breaks my heart man that you are experiencing difficulty. KorgUSA support IS pretty good. I needed to call Korg USA because I had some difficulties with loading and unloading Sharp's Kronos Assault. They guided me through, the problem was easily solved, and everything with Kronos is smooth sailing.

I TRULY hope you do not give up on Kronos man.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Hey Vlad -- I haven't given up yet...still a Kronos fan. I'm going to see what Korg support says. I am mostly concerned by the fact that the Kronos froze and had to be rebooted at its 2nd show.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, are you using MIDI into or out of the Kronos? I use the CX3 with my K61 all the time and do not have the problems you have. How about power, do you have a solid 120volts to the K61? I've had bizarre results with low voltage and now take a AVR with me to every gig.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
Just curious, are you using MIDI into or out of the Kronos? I use the CX3 with my K61 all the time and do not have the problems you have. How about power, do you have a solid 120volts to the K61? I've had bizarre results with low voltage and now take a AVR with me to every gig.

Not using MIDI for anything.

I've never experienced issues with power in nearly 30 years of owning synths...not sure why that would suddenly be an issue. I've played both of these clubs plenty of times.

Appreciate the input tho!
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Note stay on all the time! Reply with quote

I'm a keen korg fan and have been for many years, I love the kronos.
It's like all new products they have teething problems.

Sometime when I'm playing the Kronos a single not stays on continuously, normally the first one I play.
The only way to stop it is to change the program.
Seems to be alright in combinations mode
This is a rare occurrence but frustrating when it happens.
Just wondered if anybody else had the same or similar problem?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The C key isn't sticking...it works fine in any mode except the CX-3. If I play any chord involving that note, it's like the note sustains when I let go of it. If I play that C by itself, it releases normally. This doesn't occur with any other engine. I'm going to take Dan's advice and see what Korg says.

Could this be related to that bug in set list mode and the sequencer where some notes get stuck after switching from a combi to a program??? I can't recall the exact specifics...
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Quote:

Could this be related to that bug in set list mode and the sequencer where some notes get stuck after switching from a combi to a program??? I can't recall the exact specifics...

I do not use set list mode or the sequencer. The note isn't stuck, it just lingers a bit when you let it go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: