Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi controller - Keyboard layering/splitting question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordorama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Midi controller - Keyboard layering/splitting question Reply with quote

Newbie question here.

I'm loving my SV-1, especially the electric pianos. So nice to not have to drag around my Rhodes to rehearsals and gigs.
Loving the organ stuff too, but it just feels strange playing an organ solo on electric piano keys. A few glissandos in a solo and blood can be drawn.

So here's my question. Is it possible to Split or layer the keyboard into electric piano and Organ, and use a midi controller with more organ like keys on one channel, while still having e-piano on the SV-1 Keyboard? (I switch back and forth a lot in a song sometimes)

I guess I'm wondering if there's any way to fake 2 level muti-tiberal functionality So I can have e-piano on the SV-1 and trigger the organ with the controller.

I can't seem to find anything on creating layers or splits in the manuals to help me with this.

Thanks for any ideas...
Korg MircoStation
AceTone Top 1
Hammond M3 with 302c Leslie
1979 Rhodes 73 Suitcase
Wurlitzer 200a
Crumar Mojo
Hammond Sk1
oy5t3h

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not near my SV-1 right now, so I can't check, but the manual clearly status (on page 31), that you can choose 1 (and only 1) MIDI Rx/Tx channel, so any multi-timbrality is out of the question.

As far as splits go, the instrument is clearly capable of splitting sounds between upper and lower sections of the keyboard, but there is no way on the front panel to define a split, nor in the software.

Splits appear to be a feature that Korg reserves for themselves only.

That said, there is a piano/organ split supplied in SoundPack#2, so you should be able to load that Sound Pack, and select #5 on the favourites buttons.

Then an connected controller keyboard will play the piano/organ split, as well as the internal keyboard. If you could control the split point like on any other keyboard I've ever owned that would be a reasonable solution.
But you can't! Sad
Dibble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Midi controller - Keyboard layering/splitting question Reply with quote

I'm newly arrived and have been checking the forums and net for the SV-1 and found that there are a lot of interests/requests for splitting/layering since its release.

The programmers are able to implement splitting/layering in-house but unable(?) to implement it in the editing software or don't wish to release it to their customers.

I recently purchased a cheap program for recording (Mixcraft) and it was easy to split and layer sounds. (I wish it had a transmit function Wink

Seems a shame that they have the ability to make their instrument more flexible but are refraining from doing so.

Does anyone know if there's a technical reason for this or is it just "too difficult" to implement?
velour100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ everyone, to be honest, we don't hear anything from Korg, since almost 2 years now.. We have had the same questions, but never heard any answers... Take it like it is..
ChurchyLaFemme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm very new to this MIDI game, so stop me if this question is a little of track with regards to the OP. But I was reading this post and was wondering: I am about to purchase an SV-1 88 to serve as a MIDI controller for my Studio Electronics CODE 8, and was wondering if the multi-timbrality of my synth will still be accessible using this keyboard. Essentially, the nature of the CODE as 8 monophonic voices allows me to assign different timbres to each voice. My suspicion is that, as this function is contained within the synth itself, it won't be limited by the capabilities of the SV-1 in terms of MIDI splits and all that. But I wanted to make sure as this keyboard will not be worth it to purchase if it limits the distinct functions of my synth. Thanks a lot!

I might seem crazy going for the SV-1 as a synth controller, but I just got a Kurzweil PC3 and I've realized that as a piano player I need something with incredible action and piano/EP sounds to satisfy my playing desires. This is the best keyboard I've been able to preview myself, so I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks again.
Low Class

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChurchyLaFemme wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm very new to this MIDI game, so stop me if this question is a little of track with regards to the OP. But I was reading this post and was wondering: I am about to purchase an SV-1 88 to serve as a MIDI controller for my Studio Electronics CODE 8, and was wondering if the multi-timbrality of my synth will still be accessible using this keyboard. Essentially, the nature of the CODE as 8 monophonic voices allows me to assign different timbres to each voice. My suspicion is that, as this function is contained within the synth itself, it won't be limited by the capabilities of the SV-1 in terms of MIDI splits and all that. But I wanted to make sure as this keyboard will not be worth it to purchase if it limits the distinct functions of my synth. Thanks a lot!

I might seem crazy going for the SV-1 as a synth controller, but I just got a Kurzweil PC3 and I've realized that as a piano player I need something with incredible action and piano/EP sounds to satisfy my playing desires. This is the best keyboard I've been able to preview myself, so I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks again.

Why not just get a SP250? Same keybed, half the price. Or sell the PC3 and get a PC3X?
richardh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Low Class says - a PC3x is a good choice. It has a nice weighted action. But you have dished out for the PC3 already. Sad The SV-1 doesn't really cut it as a MIDI controller - only one channel at a time, and no wheels or assignable controls. So I would probably use the PC3 with the Code 8 synth, and get the SV-1 for the sake of it's nice sounds and performance features. For recording you can use it when you are playing piano(ish) stuff. If you are gigging then you'll want the PC3 setup with enough zones to use the Code 8 multi-timbrally. I guess you could get a MIDI merge box so that you could also address a part in the Code 8 from the SV-1.
I have a PC3 and an SV-1 88, and this is pretty much the way I use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: