Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 3 months of ownership review....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: My 3 months of ownership review.... Reply with quote

I have K61 SN220 and I absolutely love this monster!

Regardless of how others view this new workstation, I am giving it a glowing review.

Let's sum up its strengths:

Piano - At least in fighting range with the big Digital Pianos. For those that think the piano is lifeless, I would disagree. You have to find your piano, but with a gazillion ways to tweak the pianos, the one you want is in here. Check out Burningbusch's blog on making a good piano come out (altering velocity curves and such).

E.Piano - One of the true big dogs at this time. Tweakable, Tasty, Good.

Organ - Paired with a Ventilator this board is ready for the heavy organ gig. The cx-3 is great and it's weakness is completely fixed by a vent. Full draw-sliders, I think, make this engine surpass the Nords, especially with setlist mode (see below). You can also run a vent from an assignable out to the vent and back into the input on the Kronos. Makes for a very tidy effect-loop on the vent.

VA - Really, Really, Powerful. 3 engines, excellent UI (very visual), nasty analog sound. You name it, this beast can make it.

FM - Dude! You have a full DX-7 (can read sysex files) in there.... Gnarly!

Setlist Mode - This might be the real king feature of this board. EVERYTHING is visual. I never need to think about button pushing, you can fully navigate fast and easy (I have no problems with the touchscreen). Rearranging or creating a whole new setlist (happens at gigs, more then it should, right?) can take under 1 minute. Cut and paste a few times and your set.

The Drums - Good Stuff. Big and Punchy. Add Karma; Wow.

Big Sample Memory: I know, short lived benefit (memory creep) but still.... This is a thirsty set of chips.

UI - It's just really easy to navigate this machine. I can bounce from CX-3, to DX-7, to Wurli to Grand Piano and every menu makes sense. I can move from setlist mode to edit that slot's combi, save the changes and be back playing faster then ever. Need to add some Flanger to 4 of the 7 programs in the Combi? No Sweat. The UI is gold.

Weaknesses: - Every Board has 'em. I'll take Kronos' all day.

No 73 unweighted - My personal issue. I'll move on.

Horns/Brass/Strings - I just like Yamaha and Kurz better. Don't know why, but I do. Maybe it's me? I also think that we all know that you cannot be the sole horn/brass/strings player in any band being the KB player anyway, so why worry too much. I will also say that the VA engine makes all of the synth strings/pads amazing, so don't sweat that.

STR-1 - I will admit, I don't ask much from this engine and I don't do much string work, but I found yamaha (my other major experience) seemed to do this stuff better (better electric guitars in my case). Put me down for a definite "non-expert" in this field.

Boot Up Time? - I am supposed to hate this, but honestly, I don't. Have second tier board ready and you'll get through the startup without too much pain.

Build Quality?: Apparently a hot issue out there. My Kronos is rock solid. No data wheel issues. No fan issues. No issues at all. I know, just one vote but I wonder if the negativity isn't prompting dissatisfaction at this point?

Closing:

I think that for someone who works primarily in the Piano, EP, Organ, VA , FM world, this board will turn you into a star. With a solid backdrop of good support sounds (SFX, Vocals, Strings, Horns, Brass, Blah, Blah, Blah), a spectacular UI with setlist mode, Karma for accompaniment, you won't want for firepower.

The super gig-rig with the Kronos, in my opinions is:

Kronos 61, top tier
88 DP Keybed of your choice (Privia, RD, etc.)
Ventilator

Those three will give you all you should ever need. What's really nice too is that you can have a setlist (or 10) what all work with one tier (for practice) and you can have the ability to midi in another board and all the functionality of the new deck will instantly work (for the gig). You can quickly make "non-ventilator" versions of the same setlists for when you just want carry a single board but still have a passable Hammond.

Thanks for letting me rant on the subject. I am just really digging the experience.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jimbo
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 3 months of ownership review.... Reply with quote

Phinnin wrote:
Organ - Paired with a Ventilator this board is ready for the heavy organ gig. The cx-3 is great and it's weakness is completely fixed by a vent. Full draw-sliders, I think, make this engine surpass the Nords, especially with setlist mode (see below). You can also run a vent from an assignable out to the vent and back into the input on the Kronos. Makes for a very tidy effect-loop on the vent

Cool Oh yes, the Vent and the CX3 are a perfect couple!
To be honest, when I got my Kronos, I was quite underwhelmed by the organs. I figured that it must be the presets rather than the CX3 engine itself so I began digging deeply into programming the thing. Result: The CX3 is quite a capable clonewheel, but it certainly has a distinct tonal character which is just not my cup of tea.
The Ventilator really changes all that. It adds exactly the kind of warmth and "woodyness" I was looking for. It adds the balls.
And as regards your statement about the Nords: Without the Vent, I clearly prefer my C2 over the CX3. But with the Ventilator, I am not so sure anymore. I might even have a slight bias towards the CX3.

One thing though: I use an assignable out on the Kronos to feed a signal into the Ventilator, but I don't run the signal back into the physical input on the Kronos. I found that the Kronos' inputs really degrade the audio quality too much. Instead, the Ventilator is patched directly into an analog mixer as are the other outputs from the Kronos. A little less flexibility, but better sound.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that refreshing review.
For us waiting it is 'music to our ears'
If you pardon the pun ! Cool
jick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some positive news again Wink! Great to read.
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot: Agreed on your comments regarding C2 and vent. I am coming from a Hammond XM-2/Vent Combo and the CX-3 was an adjustment but once you put the vent in the loop, The difference is negligible. And you have to admit, the draw-buttons are inferior to sliders, so the K has the advantage there.

Interesting point about sending the vent signal to the audio in. I will A/B it against a straight run to the board. Convenience vs. audio quality... Always a tradeoff huh?
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask what is a vent?

Cheers!
panrixx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shows you and there are vids on Youtube for more info.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEO-Instruments-Ventilator-Rotary-Cabinet-Simulator-Pedal-NEW-Free-UK-Shipping-/180727704615?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a1435ec27
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
May I ask what is a vent?

Cheers!

Neo Ventilator

http://www.neo-instruments.de/en/ventilator/ventilator-features
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Neo Ventilator ... looks very nice, however I don't want another pedal (board). I hope the Kronos leslie will be good on its own.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, Thanks for the great review!

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel: I am sure you will find the leslie you want in there. I had to tweak acceleration/deceleration to my needs and i get a damn good B3 from just the Kronos. But, if you can handle the one extra pedal (I know, I know, ANOTHER pedal) it will turn the Beast into a godlike Hammond.

I like to joke that when plugged in to a vent, my kronos smells like Hammond Gear Oil....
Wink
carmol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But kronos has three (3!)
rotary effects other that the one
included with cx-3,
and a lot of tube and cabinet modeling,
I think that it MUST be possible to make
a much better hammond without external boxes.
I haven't enough experience on hammond
(I didnt even listen to one from near,
only ns ex clone, gsi vb3 and NI b4),
is there someone more experienced on tonewheels than
me that want to try ?
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review. It's nice to hear some good feedback about the quality control that many have complained on.

Btw, anybody tested using Eventide Space with the Kronos?

Phinnin wrote:
But, if you can handle the one extra pedal (I know, I know, ANOTHER pedal) it will turn the Beast into a godlike Hammond.
Funny how Jon Lord from deep purple always mentions the usage of guitar amp's turns his hammond into a beast Cool

Phinnin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't mis-interpret my comments at all. The CX-3 rocks. The rotary effects are infinitely tweakable and for 90% of the users out there, it will be more then enough.

I was merely saying that the hardcore tonewheel snobs and those that play organ as their primary keyboard instrument will consider a Kronos + Ventilator on par with anything else out there. Add the drawbars and this workstation just did what no other workstation does: Eliminates the need for a dedicated tonewheel instrument. I don't think any other board does that. Nords being the main competition but again, no drawbars, drawbuttons on those.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed your review! Thanks for posting this!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: