Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is it for you ? All Kronos customers, please take part.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How was it for you
Kronos is in full working condition.
71%
 71%  [ 77 ]
Kronos has glitches I can deal with and wait till OS1.5
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
Kronos is faulty, I will get a replacement.
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Kronos is faulty and I want a refund
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 108

Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what perspective to apply.

Look at how buggy and incomplete the Fantom G was upon release- uninspiring presets, no multi-sampling, a crippled sequencer; a lot of really basic important things that were serious impediments for a lot of folks.

And then look at the Motif XS- fairly mature OS, good hardware, etc.; but for those of us that want to be more musician than engineer, the XS, even with its strong sound set, was not worth the trouble for many of us.

And then look at the Kronos- a core OS that many used to Korg workstations are already familiar with, an overall OS that many feel is the most user friendly of all, superb new kick-ass sound engines that brings the flexibility of the powerful sequencer/sampler/audio recorder to bear on a music production board of unparalleled compositional capability; fabulous sweet reverb and flexible effects routing, SST, set lists- preaching to the choir here obviously- but it bears repeating in the face of what else is available in the way of an overall solid and friendly workstation experience at an affordable price.

My impression is that the Kronos is a skillful blending of the Oasys and the M3. Bringing direct trickle down advanced technology from the Oasys to a board that's built more to the M3 hardware spec- and of course the price point is a large part of why the Kronos has been so keenly anticipated.

After I got burned with the Motif XS, taking a +$1,500 loss after 2+ years of ownership (having gotten one of the first units), I'm happy enough to wait for the eventual sales or used boards that become available. By that time 1.5, and possibly, 2.0 will have arrived. I'm guessing that economically and for the fast moving technology trends, that Korg had to strike as quickly as they could.

Compared to what I heard about the Fantom G, the year plus that it took for the Kurzweil PC3 to have a full-fledged sound set and OS, the 9 months to a year? that it took the M3 to get its new 2.0 OS and new sound set; compared to examples like that, the Kronos seems like a reasonable blend of available now (at least for some lucky people) and some to-be-expected glitches that apparently aren't totally crippling or unacceptable for most people.

Perspectivo!

From my point of view, the Kronos is what I've always wanted in a keyboard- I just hope i can afford one sooner than later. And having a JP-80 as a complement to it would just confirm that we live in the best of times-

Randy
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word out how much Korg is going to charge to add the 2GB board they didnt install from the get go..Without the extra ram, you cant benefit from all the extra sounds in the 1.5 update.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
Any word out how much Korg is going to charge to add the 2GB board they didnt install from the get go..Without the extra ram, you cant benefit from all the extra sounds in the 1.5 update.

If you are referring to the extra banks then no memory is needed for that. If you refer to the sound packs, I think it's something you have to buy (not really related to OS 1.5) ... or am I missing something?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
If something doesn't work on one, then it doesn't work on all.

This is not even close to a true statement. My keybed shows 0 differences in key height. My keyboard does not cut out for notes. Others have proved those things to be true on their board.

There are certainly some defects which are kronos-wide...but it is not true to say that as a blanket statement.

I do agree with the general statements that just because someone doesn't use the functionality doesn't mean it works though. People that really dive far into the keyboard help a ton.

Keep in mind, finding a bug way deep in the system may not get as high priority as many others which are maybe not as serious, but might be experienced by a wider range of people.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

Enjoying yourself sparkie?
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:
RonF wrote:
If something doesn't work on one, then it doesn't work on all.

This is not even close to a true statement. My keybed shows 0 differences in key height. My keyboard does not cut out for notes. Others have proved those things to be true on their board.

There are certainly some defects which are kronos-wide...but it is not true to say that as a blanket statement.

I do agree with the general statements that just because someone doesn't use the functionality doesn't mean it works though. People that really dive far into the keyboard help a ton.

Keep in mind, finding a bug way deep in the system may not get as high priority as many others which are maybe not as serious, but might be experienced by a wider range of people.

+1
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I do agree with the general statements that just because someone doesn't use the functionality doesn't mean it works though."

Don't forget the collary:

Just because the functionality is there and working, doesn't mean users understand it or how to use it. (hence not a system "BUG", but an operator error".
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
Without the extra ram, you cant benefit from all the extra sounds in the 1.5 update.

Where did you get this information?
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
sparkie wrote:
Without the extra ram, you cant benefit from all the extra sounds in the 1.5 update.

It's just what Sparkie wants to believe, maybe?
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:
sparkie wrote:

Yes the ones you can buy...here is the 1.5 update page?

Support for additional RAM
Version 1.5 supports the installation of additional RAM into the Kronos, which can be performed at any authorized Korg service center for a nominal fee. This more than doubles the maximum available sample RAM, up to approximately 2.2 GB. Of course, when loading EXs using Virtual Memory, the total size of the loaded sample data can be much greater. Kronos uses widely available, off-the-shelf DIMMs. More details to be announced in mid-October of 2011.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:
sparkie wrote:

Yes the ones you can buy...here is the 1.5 update page?

Support for additional RAM
Version 1.5 supports the installation of additional RAM into the Kronos, which can be performed at any authorized Korg service center for a nominal fee. This more than doubles the maximum available sample RAM, up to approximately 2.2 GB. Of course, when loading EXs using Virtual Memory, the total size of the loaded sample data can be much greater. Kronos uses widely available, off-the-shelf DIMMs. More details to be announced in mid-October of 2011.

But it says nothing about more sounds ... unless you mean more samples. And even then you can benefit from it, but you have to remove other sample sets. I admit it helps a lot.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Kronos 61 a few days ago. So far so good. I am glad I'm not having some of the 73 and 88 keybed issues. I am very happy with the purchase. I do wish that Korg had raised and tilted the screen for easier viewing. It would not have to be as eleaborate as my Oasys but just a 20 to 40 degree tilt would have been quite an improvement, even at a fixed position. Otherwise...this is a great sounding board and I am very thankful to have one. They pulled mine out of the box and checked it over before they shipped it. So for going the extra mile, I just have to give Christopher G and David at West LA Music kudos for a job well done. Smile
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is less a complaint about the hardware than an issue with the manual. Unfortunately I don't own a computer with a DVD reader yet and so I can't check things out before I do something stupid. Like accidentally overwrite my 2 user programmed set-lists. Doh!
I was trying to remember how to load in the demo songs to show off my new Kronos to a friend of mine and since I don't know the nomenclature in the factory lists I lost about 32 of my own programs and combis. I can start from scratch again and try to replicate what I had but so far it's just "effing" frustrating.
I realize that to print out the manuals would be a bit bothersome but I could sure use a hard copy.
I've downloaded what I think may be most of the manuals form Korg but I; and I hate to admit it almost; prefer books!
It looks like I'm going to have to buy a laptop so I can study the manuals anywhere.
BTW. Is there any chance I haven't lost my programs and combis?
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
dfindr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell my 61 is working properly. The couple of things I have checked based on other threads were not issues. However, I haven't dug to deeply into the thing yet, but I remain optimistic nontheless.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
This is less a complaint about the hardware than an issue with the manual. Unfortunately I don't own a computer with a DVD reader yet and so I can't check things out before I do something stupid. Like accidentally overwrite my 2 user programmed set-lists. Doh!
I was trying to remember how to load in the demo songs to show off my new Kronos to a friend of mine and since I don't know the nomenclature in the factory lists I lost about 32 of my own programs and combis. I can start from scratch again and try to replicate what I had but so far it's just "effing" frustrating.
I realize that to print out the manuals would be a bit bothersome but I could sure use a hard copy.
I've downloaded what I think may be most of the manuals form Korg but I; and I hate to admit it almost; prefer books!
It looks like I'm going to have to buy a laptop so I can study the manuals anywhere.
BTW. Is there any chance I haven't lost my programs and combis?

I believe your OK with your sounds ...I understand your frustration as the manual reminds me of the ones given out with the 1980s computers. Thick, Long and boring ........ And the best part is after they update the system to 1.5 then that printed manual is outdated ..and time to relearn. That is why Steve Jobs(RIP) made such an impact on the world because he took what was complex and made it really simple. Too bad his technology hasnt reached the keyboard or sampling industry yet. Although the JP80 interface is very easy and simple to use/understand.

The Scenario For Todays technology. Lets create a product and sell it. Then write software afterwards to fix what bugs all the users have found. If any hardware problems are found, pay warranty centers to fix them as its cheaper than exchanging them. Some users wont even return them or find the faults, which will make all our stockholders very happy!! And next time find more ways to assemble or produce it even cheaper. Now on to the next project!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: