Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos: Octave Switches in OS1.5?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palaver_Sound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos: Octave Switches in OS1.5? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Will Korg be addressing the octave problem in OS 1.5 with respect to the Kronos?

I've Googled this topic, but I can't seem to find an answer other than, "Program the SW1/SW2 switches for changing octaves." IMO, this simply isn't good enough.

It's a beautiful board, but from a performance stance, this is a glaring problem. I would love to get the 61-key model, but it seems like you can only assign the SW1/SW2 switches to go one octave (in either direction). Is this true? I've only demoed one board, and couldn't figure out how to implement this change... I apologize about asking such a simple question, but it only occurred to me today after playing one for about a half hour.

Hopefully, a representative can explain Korg's philosophy as to why this is left off the keyboard?

Thanks in advance,
Phil
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos: Octave Switches in OS1.5? Reply with quote

Palaver_Sound wrote:
Will Korg be addressing the octave problem in OS 1.5 with respect to the Kronos?

I've Googled this topic, but I can't seem to find an answer other than, "Program the SW1/SW2 switches for changing octaves." IMO, this simply isn't good enough.

I agree: SW1/SW2 should not have to be used to transpose the keyboard; they are too useful for other tasks (e.g. locking/unlocking the ribbon).
But I'm not sure how they could address that without adding 2 buttons on the panel.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to "draw" 2 tabs at the bottom of the screen in the OS, like on kurzweil.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been the same on every other Korg workstation.

At least now there are plenty of control switches up on the control surface too now.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
sani

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like someone to explain it to me, why those dedicated octave switches are so important. I play keyboards for twenty years and I had those with and without separate octave switches. I never used them. Regardless whether I play on a 61 or 88 keyboard, I do my splits and put every sound in the desired octave range.
Playing piano on a 61 keyboard can be difficult at times, but an octave switch certainly doesn't help me out of this situation. How could I be focused on what I play and at the same time switch between octaves back and forward and keep in mind where I am on that virtual shifted keyboard? For the rest of the sounds, whether they are acoustic or synth type, 5 octaves are more than enough to play them if a single patch is used across the whole keyboard.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason that Korg's micro range as well as the RADIAS has them - not enough keys. But on a workstation or a synth that has 61 keys or more, that's probably more than enough keys for any patch. You can edit the patch to "fit" the range you need but in the rare instance that you need more, you can use a button to give you an octave in either direction.

I have an 88 key, I don't see the need for octave switches. I also have 73 and 61 key keyboards, don't see the need for them there either.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it for ONE song, and that's simply because I didn't feel like writing another patch. I think they're useful, but not the catastrophe some are making it out to be. At least in my world!
polop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korg can add simply with press: Enter + Sw1 / Sw2 Idea
Palaver_Sound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
Just have to "draw" 2 tabs at the bottom of the screen in the OS, like on kurzweil.

My thoughts exactly... Not having them completely defeats the purpose of having the 61-key. There are lead playing techniques that octave buttons are really handy for implementing.

It's such a simple fix! Even the "up" & and "down" arrows could be used!

There's a scroll wheel, sliders, and a pile of other ways to select a patch... but no octave switch? There's not really an excuse.

It's been years since I've dug around a Korg product. While demoing the Kronos, I could not figure out how to program octave switches for the life of me. Perhaps, I'm an idiot, but I found this frustrating while trying to navigate around the instrument. In fact, it made me appreciate the layout of the Kurzweil.

Hopefully, we can hear more about the 'octave' issue. Paying almost a grand extra for the 'not-so-portable' 88 key version is not really great advice.

I hate sounding like a nag, it really is a great product. However, I would love to have a wonderful 61-key master controller, but the lack of such a convenient feature is unfortunate.

Hopefully, we hear from Korg!

Cheers,
Phil
sani

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palaver_Sound wrote:
RC-IA wrote:

My thoughts exactly... Not having them completely defeats the purpose of having the 61-key. There are lead playing techniques that octave buttons are really handy for implementing.

We probably all have different ways how to do things. When I play a lead, I'm usually focused on what I play and which controllers I move/handle, being most often occupied with the joystick. But even on a 61 keyboard, there is really more than enough space to play a solo or whatever there is to play. It simply confuses me if I have to play something on the next but non existing octave and use the octave switch for that. I have completely to rethink how to play those parts because the intervals change in that occasion drastically. That's just my opinion. And if somebody has such a situation where he occasionally needs an octave switch, there is always the option to use one of the SW buttons to program it for the octave switch. The good part is even that you can decide whether the switch will act momentary or toggle the on/off status. Quite handy IMHO.

Palaver_Sound wrote:
It's been years since I've dug around a Korg product. While demoing the Kronos, I could not figure out how to program octave switches for the life of me. Perhaps, I'm an idiot, but I found this frustrating while trying to navigate around the instrument. In fact, it made me appreciate the layout of the Kurzweil.

As a matter of fact, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Korg and there is nothing really to appreciate the Kurzweil for. You are used to one instrument and switching to a new system simply requires you to learn how to use it. That's what the manuals are for. You have to read and learn how to do certain things. Give me a Kurzweil and I'm lost in space and time and nothing will make sense to me in the store. All those systems are different and one has to learn how things are done on a certain system.
[/quote]
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the octave switches as a playing technique more than as a way to expand the keyboard. I do this all the time for showy solos on my AX-Synth. Well, maybe not ALL the time Smile
Play a fast arpeggio up and/or down with an analog lead, and hit some octave switches along the way. You can't do that comfortably on the Kronos, even having a "full range" keyboard like the 88.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:
I'd really like someone to explain it to me, why those dedicated octave switches are so important.

This statement really shows the pressure that is on manufactures when designing a keyboard. Everyone has their own "must have" feature set. What matters to me may not matter to you. I took a grad class years ago that included a tour of the Ensoniq facilities. A room full of musicians kept asking the rep why doesn't keyboard X have feature Y? Answer: it comes down to economics. They can make a keyboard do anything, but have to decide how much they can afford to put in and still bring the keyboard in at a certain price point.

For me, gigging as a one-man-band, I need portability. My 01/W Pro with 76 keys was a compromise because I couldn't carry the Pro X due to size and weight. But all the years I played it, I wished that I could take a fourth off the top of the keyboard and add it to the bottom.

I got my M3 73 and loved the fact that it was a C-C keyboard. I play a lot in D and Eb and I often double 8va in my left hand.

On the Kronos 73, coming back to low E Has cramped my style. An octave key would be helpful because it would presumably be in the middle of the keyboard where I could reach it with either hand. I'm switching 8va now for a song, and I had to practice getting my hand out to the switch between the other notes that I'm playing and then get it back when the passage is over.

I get that a switch may not matter to someone else, or that E-E may work better for some than C-C. But that's why it matters to me. Very Happy
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
sani wrote:
I'd really like someone to explain it to me, why those dedicated octave switches are so important.

This statement really shows the pressure that is on manufactures when designing a keyboard. Everyone has their own "must have" feature set. What matters to me may not matter to you. I took a grad class years ago that included a tour of the Ensoniq facilities. A room full of musicians kept asking the rep why doesn't keyboard X have feature Y? Answer: it comes down to economics. They can make a keyboard do anything, but have to decide how much they can afford to put in and still bring the keyboard in at a certain price point.

For me, gigging as a one-man-band, I need portability. My 01/W Pro with 76 keys was a compromise because I couldn't carry the Pro X due to size and weight. But all the years I played it, I wished that I could take a fourth off the top of the keyboard and add it to the bottom.

I got my M3 73 and loved the fact that it was a C-C keyboard. I play a lot in D and Eb and I often double 8va in my left hand.

On the Kronos 73, coming back to low E Has cramped my style. An octave key would be helpful because it would presumably be in the middle of the keyboard where I could reach it with either hand. I'm switching 8va now for a song, and I had to practice getting my hand out to the switch between the other notes that I'm playing and then get it back when the passage is over.

I get that a switch may not matter to someone else, or that E-E may work better for some than C-C. But that's why it matters to me. Very Happy

Maybe a softkey would then be a good alternative (economic wise). For me it doesn't matter much: every song I play is currently in a combi (and when I have a Kronos it will be a set list slot). And if I would need to switch inside a combi, I just copy the combi with alternative octave settings. And I have 2 synths, so actually I have 2x5 octaves.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kurzweil oct and transpose keys are so great. It certainly would be nice to at least have the transpose there. Especially since Korg was one of the first/ if not the first to have transpose.
Palaver_Sound

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
sani wrote:

I don't buy this argument in respect to an 'octave switch'. Especially, when it comes to a board using the 'open architecture' line in its marketing strategy. I certainly don't have financial numbers to back it up, but I'm pretty sure implementing a software 'octave' button within the pads tab (for example), would be minimal R&D. One would intuitiviely think that adding sound banks, pre-programming the nano controllers, so on and so forth (for OS 1.5) is a much larger undertaking than putting in a silly octave/transpose switch.

It's such a trivial and simplistic feature... why not add it? We are the consumers. And, Korg have been excellent with implementing change for the most part. They implemented the nanoPad update. Why not this? If adding an octave switch sells a board or two extra, I think that would certainly pay-off any simple programming task of adding a switch in performance mode.

The only logical economic argument I can think of, would be the cannabilization of the 73 and 88 key boards. It's highly likely that Korg took this into account when running economic projections on sales.

Back to the 'octave button' issue:

It really is the equivalent of having no cup-holders in a car. It would be extremely irratating to pick up a cup of coffee at a drive thru, only to realize that the new BMW you just bought can't accomadate it. Yes, the car is amazing, it still works and is beautiful, but there's nowhere to put the damn coffee! It's the same with the octave switch. It's not detrimental to the operation of the board, but a really nice convenience.

It's important to note that I really do think it's a great board based on my demo. It's also a damn good price. However, the purpose of this thread is to bring back focus to an important, relative, simplistic feature.

Cheers,
Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: