Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Bug Found: Portamento in Combis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: New Bug Found: Portamento in Combis Reply with quote

I have a combi with a lead patch in it. I changed the Portamento for that patch from PRG to 40. Works great. When you power the machine off and eventually back on again, it's no longer set to 40 and is set to off.

REALLY embarrassing last night when we started "Riding The Storm Out" and instead of a slow glide from one note to a higher note about 4 octaves up, there was no portamento. Sad

So Korg, if you can fix this with the upcoming update, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP. Can someone else test and reconfirm?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I have several lead sounds set in combi mode that use portamento an don't have that problem. Maybe a midi filter issue? Page one in the midi filtering has a portamento sw option. Maybe you have it on?

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the combi, do you have the patch using the default portamento settings or did you set a different number in the COMBI over-riding the program's setting? I also use a pedal switch to activate it. But I've successfully reproduced this on every combi I've edited or created. In fact, I can sometimes watch it turn off if I have that page up and play the patch and use the pedal switch. You can literally watch it set to OFF when you use the pedal switch.
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually set it according to the type of sound I'm using. Rarely using the default.

Just remembered.....

There is also another midi filter on page 3 called "enable other control change messages". I've found filtering that helps when strange things like this pop up. If not check around the other midi filter settings. That's my best guess.

Good Luck!

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the same 'issue' on the M50. However, what you have to do is be sure to save the portamento with the changed portamento setting while it is ACTIVE (so when you are using a foot switch then the foot switch should be tapped so that portamento is active). This means when the combi is selected portamento is active and you have to press to switch it off if you want to start without portamento. And make sure you DON't save the patch while in that situation otherwise portamento will be saved as off again.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything works as it should until I power it off. I can save it play a ton of other progs or combis and go back to that combi and it's fine. If I power it off and back on, it no longer works.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case it is different (and I don't know the answer).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I also use a pedal switch to activate it. But I've successfully reproduced this on every combi I've edited or created. In fact, I can sometimes watch it turn off if I have that page up and play the patch and use the pedal switch. You can literally watch it set to OFF when you use the pedal switch.

Yes, that's per spec. If you then save the Combi in this state, you'll save it turned off. My guess is that this is what happened.

As a test, I did this:
1. Selected Combi A-000 Era of Kronos
2. Changed Timbre 1's Portamento from PRG to 048
3. Saved the Combi
4. Waited a few seconds to make sure the memory state was written to disk
5. Turned off the KRONOS
6. Waited a few seconds
7. Turned on the KRONOS
8. Looked at Timbre 1's Portamento setting
-> Still 048

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Yes, that's per spec. If you then save the Combi in this state, you'll save it turned off. My guess is that this is what happened.

As a test, I did this:
3. Saved the Combi
5. Turned off the KRONOS
6. Waited a few seconds
7. Turned on the KRONOS
-> Still 048

- Dan

When I get home, I'll try your exact test and see what happens.

However, I don't save it in the OFF state. I save it with 048 for example. Come back to the patch time and time again and it's fine until I power off. I don't understand how it's saving in an off state when it's not in an off state while the Kronos is on. Do you have a Pedal Switch plugged in with function set as Portamento? That's where I think the fault lies.

-Mc
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

As a test, I did this:
3. Saved the Combi
5. Turned off the KRONOS
6. Waited a few seconds
7. Turned on the KRONOS
-> Still 048

- Dan

However, I don't save it in the OFF state. I save it with 048 for example. Come back to the patch time and time again and it's fine until I power off. I don't understand how it's saving in an off state when it's not in an off state while the Kronos is on. Do you have a Pedal Switch plugged in with function set as Portamento? That's where I think the fault lies.

-Mc

Does your foot switch work as a momentary switch, or a toggle?

Either way, the state of the pedal is persistent across Combis. Entering the Combi won't reset it. So, if it's off when you select the Combi, it will stay off until you change it again.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

As a test, I did this:
3. Saved the Combi
5. Turned off the KRONOS
6. Waited a few seconds
7. Turned on the KRONOS
-> Still 048

- Dan

-Mc

Either way, the state of the pedal is persistent across Combis. Entering the Combi won't reset it. So, if it's off when you select the Combi, it will stay off until you change it again.

- Dan

momentary.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
McHale wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

As a test, I did this:
3. Saved the Combi
5. Turned off the KRONOS
6. Waited a few seconds
7. Turned on the KRONOS
-> Still 048

- Dan

-Mc

- Dan

momentary.

OK. With the above in mind, try it again and let me know if it's working as expected.

- Dan
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is something similar to my M50 then.
I use it on one timbre in a combi to override the portamento speed to a certain number (default is OFF). When I change another parameter I always have to make sure portamento is showing the right value (which is when I step on a switch) otherwise the portamento is off.

I don't think this is really user friendly though. It would be nice to have a portamento speed setting and by footswitch just an On/Off setting. Then the correct speed would always be written while the switch would take care of the On/Off of the portamento.

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has to do with the fact that I have a pedal switch set to Portamento in the Global Settings. ANY value I change it to other than PRG will revert to OFF regardless what it was when you saved it. EVERY combi I've tested it on does it. I can't see this not being a bug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: