Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum kit on wavedrum oriental

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmo1300

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Drum kit on wavedrum oriental Reply with quote

Has anyone found the best settings (standard or modified) to represent a standard drum kit on the oriental?
I am looking for a general snare, cymbal, kick drum that best replicates a kit to play along to songs with out having to get a full kit.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Oriental will get you closer to this goal than any of the other versions of the Wavedrum.

What sets the Oriental apart from previous versions is the addition of Middle-Eastern percussion sounds.

The best options for "drumkit-like" programs are still probably going to be from the original programs #58, 59, etc. (which are included with all the wavedrums). Some of these programs offer varying combinations of kick, snare & hi-hat, but none of them will really be able to replicate what a full kit can do.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaveDrummer wrote:
The best options for "drumkit-like" programs are still probably going to be from the original programs #58, 59, etc. (which are included with all the wavedrums). Some of these programs offer varying combinations of kick, snare & hi-hat, but none of them will really be able to replicate what a full kit can do.

Given that #58, 59, etc... can give you a kick/snare (or kick/hi-hat) combination, and you wanted something closer to a full drum kit, would you recommend a 2nd Wavedrum or say a Wavedrum Mini to accomplish this?
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Mini" with the trigger attached to a shoe/boot is probably the closest you'll get to simulating a drumkit with any sort of realistic accuracy.

It helps quite a bit if you have a good, solid surface under your foot as well—hardwood floor, etc. It makes it much easier to get a "clean" trigger sound.

You can also get some decent kit sounds using the trigger on a stick-played surface. I find that being able to physically separate the sounds, on two different surfaces, makes for a better drumkit simulation. It can be a bit tricky on the full-sized Wavedrum to control the separate hi-hat, snare and kick sounds. The Mini offers some good options for this.
OhioBuckeye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this thread and hooked up the clip and played a little snare/hh on the pad and bass kick with the clip and sounded good. This little WaveDrum mini is turning out to be a blast. Definitely a good purchase and one I would recommend.

I do agree with some of the reviews that it's not as predictable as you might want it to be but I think that it just might take some time to get used to and I also think that it may be possible with the effects/adjustments to make the specific sounds you want more definite and reliable. I haven't played around with these much yet.

OB
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wavedrummer and OhioBuckeye for your input... that helps a lot! It appears I can get closer to a full drumkit with a Wavedrum and a Wavedrum Mini than with 2 Wavedrums (I would have thought otherwise). I really like the idea of the Mini's clip, turning anything into a drum surface. And it makes sense to use the clip on your shoe for a bass drum - more natural that way.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preciesly why I am interested in doing some of waterdrums mods!
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to my experience with "clips"
it turned out that a bassdrum-pedal-trigger works very fine
as a "clip" although it is NOT recommended in the manual. Wink

To be honest , I could not test this on a MINI myself , YET.
A standard Volume pedal in series with the bassdrum trigger
should keep this on the safe side , might not even be necessary.
Gizmo1300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: re drum kit Reply with quote

Thanks all
I have found that the combination of my mini (pad on 17 and clip on 14) with the wavedrum on snare 3 gives me the best combo. Plus I run mine through a mixer which allows me to up the treble to increase the cymbal effect on the mini.
Overall not too bad. The mini is a little unpredictable with some of the changes in hard strikes but most non drummers don't seem to notice.
I am loving the flexibility of having both the full and mini wavedrums
godoy777

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as u wld not us a Moog to program a grand piano u wouldn't use a wavedrum to program a drumset... programs 58,59 are great for playing brasilian rhythms like samba reggae,maracatu and baile do funk
martygras

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

godoy777 wrote:
just as u wld not us a Moog to program a grand piano u wouldn't use a wavedrum to program a drumset... programs 58,59 are great for playing brasilian rhythms like samba reggae,maracatu and baile do funk

That analogy doesn't make sense (to me).

The wavedrum replicates real drums very well indeed. It sounds to me that even the loops have been made entirely from the wave drum algorithms.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

godoy777 wrote:
just as u wld not us a Moog to program a grand piano u wouldn't use a wavedrum to program a drumset...

This is something that seems to come up quite a bit. I would have to agree that the Wavedrum is not going to replicate a full kit very well, nor was designed to. Yes, you can get drumset sounds out of the Wavedrum, and some simulated patterns are possible, but ultimately it's not going to act as a replacement for a drumset.

martygras wrote:
The wavedrum replicates real drums very well indeed. It sounds to me that even the loops have been made entirely from the wave drum algorithms.
Actually, I'm pretty sure many of the loops in the Silver and Black Wavedrum come from existing sound libraries that Korg has used in some of their keyboards in the past. However, the Oriental version definitely has some new Middle Eastern sounds in the loop section, and, to me, those sound like samples of real instruments being played—very impressive, however they were done. Smile
godoy777

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but i dont think the wavedrums strength is duplicating acoustic percussion, for that matter i don't think my handsonic does either,in most real world situations they'good enough,but playing or recording with an acoustic group they sound like electronic or amplified percussion, for DJing and playing electronic music it's an instrument thats hard to duplicate, for power, size,price and originality it's unique,but it's not a bongo...don't get me wrong i LOVE my wavedrum.
Gizmo1300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bit the bullet and now have an electronic drum kit as well
I have integrated the Wavedrum and Mini wavedrum into the set including the mini clip on a homemade foot beatbox.
Truely awsome combination

Thanks all for the feedback
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: