Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What synth will you NEVER SELL !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a nice topic. I relay like to read people's opinion on selling gear, as for me i have to admit i'm peaty attached to my gear and i don´t think i have anything that i don't use from time to time. And besides i really don't see the point in selling stuff, i mean even if you use a piece of gear very rarely you'll just get a ridiculous amount for it. I can understand guys who buy new gear and sell it after a year or so to buy the latest stuff, but for me the newer synth i have is my motif xs8 and i payed very much for it. I wouldn't sell it to buy the kronos for two reason's, first i would get probably less than one theard of the price i payed and that wouldn't help me very much financing a kronos. Second i love it and wouldn't part with it even if i ever buy the kronos.
As for the more older synths, my favorites are the two 01W's i just love them, bought them both used, striped them down to the last screw and gave them a complete overhaul. Love my wavestation SR too and would never sell it even if i get the kronos, yes you can get similar sounds with the kronos but the feel is never the same.
Having said this bare in mind that i'm not a professional musician and i mainly play live so it's just my personal opinion hare

Last edited by jorgemncardoso on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after some years i have realized that i shall never sell again any synth that:

- i love how it sounds
- make me have a easy workflows in creating music
Slovenec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised that there was one other synth that I regretted selling afterwards (and I lost money by selling it but needed to do so in order to get my Triton Classic back in 99!). It was the Kawai K5000S. This synth has some truly unique sounds that I've not heard anywhere else except in the Cameleon5000 and Alchemy softsynths...... some of the best most evolving pads EVER, and I loved the K's distorted guitar and even some of the organs. If I ever find one at a good price (or even the K5000W with the sequencer), I'll buy one in a heartbeat. Same applies for the Z1 but I'd definitely want the 18 voice expansion installed as standard.
shawnhar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:
Same applies for the Z1 but I'd definitely want the 18 voice expansion installed as standard.

I have the 12 voice Z1, and rarely run into polyphony limits. That's enough for a couple of synth lines even with some serious layering, or to play the excellent EP without dropout issues (unlike the 6 voice MOSS expansion board, which isn't really enough for EP or organ parts). Admittedly it would be tough to use the 12 voice version for general purpose multitimbral sequencing, but then the Z1 isn't a good general purpose synth in any case! I find its sounds are so distinctive, I rarely want more than one or two of them in a mix, so the limited polyphony is less of an issue than you might think.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Yamaha FS1R: Well MAYBE I'd sell it with Mod-7 in the Kronos. This machine has a lot more algorithms than the original DX stuff, so who knows. If I could successfully port all the patches to where it was redundant I'd sell.

Can MOD-7 do Formant Shaping?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
well after some years i have realized that i shall never sell again any synth that:

- i love how it sounds
- make me have a easy workflows in creating music

+1

Over the years I have changed my view on this topic. Selling is rarely worth it. Building a collection is a great thing to do, and causes you to make better choices along the way.

If I lost everything in a disaster, the ones I would immediately replace are: Virus TI2, Moog Voyager, Eventides (not a synth...or is it??!!). Everything else I would review and likely build a new system based on the current technology.....which today would include Kronos and JP80....but I couldn't say that I would NEVER sell the Kronos or JP80....as soon as the next best thing comes along I just might think differently about them.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
Yamaha FS1R: Well MAYBE I'd sell it with Mod-7 in the Kronos. This machine has a lot more algorithms than the original DX stuff, so who knows. If I could successfully port all the patches to where it was redundant I'd sell.

Can MOD-7 do Formant Shaping?

The MOD-7 can read DX7 patches, so if the DX7 supports Formant shaping, the Kronos does too (but correct me if I'm wrong).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSUNAMI wrote:
Because NO 2 guitars are the same ..... I can sell my Kronos and buy one in 3 years time ... it will be the same !!!

If i sell my Strat and by another one ... oh my it would be different on so many levels ... Only minute levels agreed but in terms of playing and teaching it would take a while to get used to a new guitar.

Kevin Nolan wrote:
TSUNAMI wrote:
No synth has greater pull on me that i would never sell .... You can ALWAYS get a replacement that would be the same ...

Now Guitars thats a very different matter

Why a different matter for guitars?

So all Pianos, Hammond organs, Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer and CP80 pianos and analogue synthesizers, of the same model, are alike?

I think you'll find that there are many minute differences in these.

But even in digital synthesis, even replacing my SY77 for an SY99 was too great a change - I needed to also get an SY77 back. Likewise, the Kronos is a very different beast to the OASYS (I can promise you there are at least dozens of ex-OASYS and now Kronos owners out there who, at a minimum, have this nagging feeling that they should not have sold their OASYS).

But there are other issues - if you replace one synth with another you lose the experience, learnt skills, immediacy and so on that you had acquired on the previous instrument. That's as organic and musical an issue as they come.

In my opinion, it is far from the case that you can replace any keyboard with another and not be affected, as much as for a guitar or any other acoustic instrument.

Kevin.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSUNAMI wrote:
Because NO 2 guitars are the same ..... I can sell my Kronos and buy one in 3 years time ... it will be the same !!!

If i sell my Strat and by another one ... oh my it would be different on so many levels ... Only minute levels agreed but in terms of playing and teaching it would take a while to get used to a new guitar.

Kevin Nolan wrote:
TSUNAMI wrote:
No synth has greater pull on me that i would never sell .... You can ALWAYS get a replacement that would be the same ...

Now Guitars thats a very different matter

Why a different matter for guitars?

No two hammond organs are the same. Especially c3's. I've played many at clubs all over the north west. Were going back 25 years but you would get the special ones that were 'alive'. Amazing machine. They had two rocker switches to get the thing going. It was like waking it up.

Honestly, those in the know will tell you. It was like magic. The good Hammonds made you sound so much better than you were !

Happy days. Razz
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't sell any of my synths again after this last one many years ago:

Biggest regret sale: Yamaha DX1
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy: my TB-303! I regret having sold my Nord Lead 2X but it was worth it to get the K61! Smile

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I regret having sold my Nord Lead 2X but it was worth it to get the K61

That's how it usually is with working musicians. We are not like the rich guys that just collect huge amounts of gear. Sometimes you have to sell to get new equipment. I was sad to sell my modified DX7 and probably my most sad one was when I gave away my OBX because - "nobody wants analog anymore".

The truth is, it would be broken by now unless I changed all of the caps.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
But there are other issues - if you replace one synth with another you lose the experience, learnt skills, immediacy and so on that you had acquired on the previous instrument.

I'd have to disagree with that. Having had a Triton Pro/X (classic), it made the Kronos that much easier to play - much of the touch screen selections/choices are similar with the same concepts of Global, Program, Combi, Sequencer, Disk, etc. So I didn't "lose the experience" or "learnt skills" or any of that which was "acquired on the previous instrument".... if anything, it all transferred over to the Kronos and made the learning experience that much simpler. It was a definite plus!

The problem I have now is in actual sound quality. The Kronos sounds so much better than the Triton (especially in the pianos) that my plan of keeping the Triton changed... I haven't even turned it on in the 7 weeks since I've had the Kronos because it just doesn't sound as good - plain & simple. I'm just about ready to sell the Triton now.
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it is not my Oasys 76. My Kronos 61 is supposed to arrive via UPS tomorrow evening. It is an exciting prospect to have my Oasys 76 on the bottom and the Kronos 61 on the upper rack. These bad boys are going head to head...what a dream come true. Right before the Kronos was announced I was going to pick up an M361 or the Kurzweil pc3le6 or the Fantom G6. After trying them all I was leaning towards the M3.

Now I am sooooo glad I waited! Smile
mailman00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me,the korg triron extreme...had a very short production run(less than 18 months i think)only workstation with a built-in vacum tube,in 20yrs may go up in price due to the production run and the tube technology and the last of the triton line (best selling workstation in history).this keyboard has earned it's place alongside the DX-7,W-30,MS-20,Polysix,Juno,and other classic keyboards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: